W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 17, 2018, 11:52:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moving while stick disarming  (Read 5559 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Moving while stick disarming
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:10:49 PM »

It would be unlikely that two people stick fighting would remain, a posed 3 feet apart? Especially during stick disarming?

What cha' think?

Hock

Kaliman33

• Level 2
Re: Moving while stick disarming
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »

People never stand still doing any stick fighting, i think you move as much as knife fighting. stick disarming happens in the chaos of the clash, and when i have softened you up a bit with stikes, even when i warm students up just twirling i tell them to move around. you will never pose and get away with it.

Marc

Trainer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »

Always move, gotta move, keep moving to a position of advantage and move them to a position of disadvantage. Stick, blade, hand to hand, chunk it don't matter just keep moving. That why I practice Disco!!!!!!!!!

Karl

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »

As maximum Force is generated at the tip "Longer" part of  of the Stick, you would want to be as close as possible ?!?
IE: the shorter part of the stick were less force is Generated.

Or am i missing something ?

Also Body Mechanics works better closer to the subject.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 04:34:58 AM »

I agree-opponents would not stay 3 feet apart-both would be moving to get out of the way of the stick=I am not a expert by any means but some of the lessons i took from a qualified instructor included .
A-strikeing  accross at the hand area of the stick
B-moving in he used the bottom 3 inches of the stick to strike at the wrist area while his other hand grabs at the   hand area and then as he puts the botom of the stick over the opponents hand with  the 3 inches of stick at the wrist he pulls back and takes the  opponents stick away and continues striking.
So my answer is no you do  not stay  just 3  feet away.

Hope i explained the movement ok-i just got off driving 12 hours and going to hit the rack after finishing reviewing todays post.

whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Boar Man

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »

I agree you would not stand 3 feet away doing a disarm, in reality there would be movement.

However to train for the disarm or to teach it to beginners I tend to teach movement first with a hit to set up the disarm and then disarm.

For instance using the old double stick combative drills from GM Ernesto, as a HFH strike is coming in I tend to teach to block the stick and strike the person first, then depending upon what strike you used your stick will end up somewhere and from that position then you do a disarm.

So if the HFH strike comes in and I same side block with my stick as I step in with my front foot and hit him with a downward strike with my other stick then my stick is blow his arm therefore I would bring my stick up under his arm and strip the stick.  The key being stepping in (movement) and hitting the person first to set up the disarm.

The chances of going against someone with two sticks or you having two sticks (weapons) in your hand is very remote I know.  I was using it as a simple example of I believe the priority should be to get out of the way of the strike first and block and evade it, then hit the person to set up the disarm.  The disarm being down the priority chain.

Mark

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:54:08 PM »

good info  mark-   whitewolf (el  Lobo Blanco)

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »

To get close enough for disarming from long range, i teach breaking ranges, most people from long range will either X strike pattern, a high low high pattern, most will not florette and abaninko from long range, so we practice "crashing" in, which takes timing, on the X pattern you need to time to either crash on forehand or backhand side, on the high low high you have 3 places to crash, once committed you have to make your move, if you do it half assed you will be hit. I also teach half beats at long range to hit the hand, then you can come in, or the stick is already gone. I also teach to crash into punyo range, you might be a little to close to disarm, but butt stikeing is very damaging and overwhelming when you are in someone's face

Marc

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:51:24 AM »

Kal-33=as i am not a expert by any  means what you are saying is the movement i discribed is good for close in?
whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »

whitewolf, it sounds like you are describing a vine disarm using the punyo end of the stick, that can still be done at medium range, and can be done from the inside or outside of the wrist, i assume you are then grabbing the stick and twisting it out, if you are just pulling it out with the punyo end i would most likley do a kambiata, (inside to outside switch), hook the wrist and pull back to disarm, i was talking more where you are in close enough to punyo strike the head, pretty much hubud range, where you can do a lot of fun cool disarms as well as tie people up and lock and choke, but you are always moving through ranges, (long, middle, close puyo sumbarda range, and closer hubud range)

hope that helps
Marc

oz man

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »

Its good to hear not just about the movement, but the variety of strikes whilst in different ranges to the target.
The use of hand strikes and kicks can be vital when close enough to disarm.
Never be one dimensional when holding a weapon, you still have all your h2h arsenal to use. It became alot clearer to me when i heard hock talk of a diminished fighter theory.
(thanks hock)

The idea of staying 3 feet apart is fine if you like duelling hollywood style.
I'd much prefer to try and bash my way in, hitting their weapon/arms out of the way if i can, (you have a good chance of breaking the arm), and get close enough to either disarm, or disengage their head.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 07:37:25 PM »

Kal-thanks-looks like even with using the stick as a weapon one still must be aggressive or be hit-whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Download