W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 25, 2018, 06:18:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bouncer Knife Fight  (Read 1741 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Bouncer Knife Fight
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:47:08 AM »

Below is a story of a bouncer who apparently defended himself with a pocket knife while being jumped by several guys with violent tendencies.

Bouncer: Former Tulane player acted in self-defense
by Gwen Filosa, The Times-Picayune
Saturday June 21, 2008, 3:36 PM
An Orleans Parish jury will likely render a verdict Sunday in the attempted murder trial of a former Tulane football player accused of stabbing five people outside a Bourbon Street nightclub in September.

Ray Boudreaux Jr., 23, who came to New Orleans from Abbeville to play football and study at Tulane University, is charged with five counts of attempted murder for participating in a bloody brawl at dawn on Sept. 16 outside the Utopia club.

Today, the defense team spent hours calling witnesses whose testimony supports Boudreaux's contention that he acted only in self-defense after a band of men began beating him in the 200 block of Bourbon Street following a verbal altercation between two groups of friends earlier inside the club.

It was the group of alleged victims who started trouble before daybreak Sept. 16, the defense team argued, pitting the honors student with no criminal history against a group of men with prior convictions and reputations for solving disagreements with their fists and weapons.

"I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you," is what victim Larry Brooks told Boudreaux, a Bourbon Street club bouncer testified today for the defense. One of the men fighting Boudreaux and his friends had a gun at one point, the bouncer said.

"They tried to run away, Ray and his family," he said. "It was self-defense."

"He was chased," the beefy bouncer told the jury, using palm-sized action figures to recreate the nine-month-old brawl that sent five people to the hospital.

Also, another fight was going on across the street from Utopia, the bouncer said. Ray Boudreaux Jr. never started anything but instead was unwillingly dragged into the violence after taking a beating from Brooks and his crew, the bouncer said.

Brooks, 38, spent two weeks healing from seven stab wounds -- including three to the back -- and testified for the state Friday that Boudreaux was the aggressor that morning.

But today, the defense team launched its side of the case: Boudreaux was targeted by Brooks, and at least one other man who the state presents as the victims.

The jury will return Sunday at 10 a.m. for closing arguments.

"He was chased," the bouncer said, "by Big Baby, Rocky, and Twin. They started beating him."

Just as prosecutors had their own videotape footage of the brawl -- the graphic scene of a red-shirted man going after Brooks in what appears to be an unwarranted attack -- the defense showed another videotape today which depicts street fighting among a group of men that took place before Boudreaux allegedly ended the fight with a half-serrated blade kept in his pocket knife.

One conviction of attempted murder carries up to 50 years in prison.

Boudreaux was immediately suspended from Tulane after his arrest five days after the brawl. Inside his Metairie apartment, the honors student allowed Jefferson Parish detectives to search his home, where they found the pocket knife.

When Det. Sgt. Darren Monie told him that anything other than the truth "would have a negative effect" on him, Boudreaux owned up to having stabbed several people outside Utopia and that the pocket knife stored inside his bedroom was the weapon he used.

Monie testified Friday, recounting what he heard Boudreaux confess that day.

But Boudreaux later told New Orleans police that he acted in self-defense. On Saturday, Judge Arthur Hunter had the jury return for the second day of testimony. The panel, which is almost exclusively male and white in a case where the victims and defendant are African-American, has been sequestered since jury selection ended Thursday.

Only ten of the 12 jurors must agree to render a legal verdict on each of the five charges. Hunter's staff said it is likely that the trial will wrap up tonight, but the court is prepared to continue Sunday if the need for more time arises.

The bouncer said that he knows Brooks and the other alleged victims as fellow service industry workers on Bourbon Street, and from their visits to the club where he is head of security. He also said he grew up with several of them, including Brooks, at the Iberville public housing development. But prosecutors said Brooks grew up at the St. Bernard complex, which the bouncer said wasn't true.

"We have problems with them all the time," the bouncer said of Brooks and his friends. "I don't dislike them as people I just don't like their violent attitude toward people."

The bouncer said he tried to contact police and the district attorney's office to tell them what he saw that morning, but received no responses.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

PaulGappyNorris

• Level 2
Bouncer Knife Fight
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »

"the graphic scene of a red-shirted man going after Brooks".... doesn't read like a self-defence act to me  :(.

The defendant's claim is that they tried to run away, yet the description here describes him (Boudreaux) as 'going after' one of the stab victims (Brookes).

I'll be very interested to read the whole court case and the outcome -it's all too easy to make assumptions - ASS.U.ME - from reading a short account.

Either way, I hope the instigators, and, any scumbage involved in any way , are soon wiped off the face of the planet.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Re: Bouncer Knife Fight
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »

It's interesting how the press spin this one from the start- many will presume that this guy has already been charged with attempted murder, but it clearly says "a likely verdict."  Boudreaux, clean record, honor student and University football player; the bad guys, ex-cons known for past violence.  The prosecuter's select footage could have been in the middle of the storm of this guy trying to survive.  Five stab wounds indicates some control; numerous incidents of people using a knife to protect themselves results commonly with 60 to 70 stab wounds for the untrained. 

What did Boudreaux do wrong?  The story is sketchy, but he definitely fled the scene.  The cops had to come and get him.  They had to search the house before he owned up to the incident.  He claimed he reported it, but he should have gone down to the police station to set the record straight.  He probably had no idea of the law & legislation and zero awareness for the continuum of an incident- Pre-contact/ Contact/ Post Contact.

I too am interested in the outcome of this trial.

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Download