W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• December 11, 2018, 06:41:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Techniques..  (Read 5120 times)

PaulGappyNorris

• Level 2
Techniques..
« on: July 01, 2008, 12:53:56 AM »

It's an old chestnut again, I'm sure..

If you have to give a short course on combat. Aside from instilling the never give up attitude, what technique(s) (not principles) would you teach someone, and, get them to drill, so it became a 'natural' defence option.

Karl

• Level 2
Re: Techniques..
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:05:11 AM »

Chin Jabs,
Hammer Fist to Clavicle, Nose, Cheek.
Forearm hits to nose, throat, side of neck, Brachia stun, works great vastly underrated..
Shin kicks,

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:07:15 AM »

GPN-Karls advice good-in addition I would add the repeated practise of standing at a  angle  from the other person- not directly in front-hands in a upper  non threatening position but able to block-alertness to his friends near by-look for escape routes-(better to get away to live another day)-practise atack,attack,attack.
whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

PaulGappyNorris

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:13:55 AM »

Chin jabs? Maybe you have a different understanding from me? IMHO Chin jabs, as an isolated technique, are a complete waste of time, and definitely not something I would condone teaching (in this context). You are more likely to annoy someone with them than disuade them.

However, a strong, thrusting, lead hand punch, followed by an even stronger 'something else' would be far more appropriate.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:42:39 AM »

As said,when threatened Attack.

Techniques would be :
Edge of hand,Hammer fist ,Open handed palm heels,elbows,knees,low line kicks.

Targeting:
Collar bones up
(Neck,throat,face,eyes,nose ears)

Waist down
(Hips,bladder,groin,knees)

Shoulders out
(Elbows,wrists,fingers)

Learn to Blast with the body down the center line if need be or to move to a close in outside angle.
Deliver blows to targets that yield immediate results.
Deliver blows with body weight behind strikes.
Do not atrike to distract,strike to destroy.

Learn to respond immediately and develop a do everything that needs to be done attitude.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:15:46 PM »

Paul=thought i  would throw this in the mix-=strong jabs to  face might work=but remember if you are fighting a street savy opponent he might be  watching the shoulders and when it  moves he will counterattack inside and go  for the strikes JimH mentioned-shoulder has to  move before the arm/fist ..whitewolf (el  lbo blanco)

Karl

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 02:16:30 AM »

Hi PGN,

Chin Jab.

As talking to somebody then trying to take his head of his Shoulder with a Chin Jab.

Thats how i meant it.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:17:50 AM »

Karl-sounds good to me=whatever works... WW (ELB)

Tank2

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:58:44 AM »

Have you looked at Levels 1 2 & 3 of Hocks material???

Great place to start for someone of any level.

Eyes, throat, groin, and tops of the feet.

We have taught this material to a group of females in a 1/2 day self defense course. I seemed to be readily accepted and easily covered.

Hope that helps....

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »

Hi Paul

What techniques?  Perhaps a little clarification is required here because what you have described (attack by combination) is a principle.  To simplify this generic techniques are generally categorized as Hock’s program is laid out:

- Strikes
- Kicks
- Takedowns
- Locks/Cranks/Submissions

Isolating each technique and extrapolating the possibilities transmutes you into an isolated tool development and counter tool development paradigm.  Whatever tool you teach someone to develop, it is useless without body mechanics, power, explosiveness and follow through resolute action.  In other words techniques unto themselves are useless without the attributes that make them work. 

Adding to that, there is no shortcut to success.  These short courses are again next to useless in that their aims, objectives and outcomes are commonly never clearly delineated.  People usually walk away from these courses knowing just enough to get their butt kicked!

As far as getting your students to internalize their survival combatives in order that they will be able to use it at will, there is a process that you must take each idea you are teaching them through in order to reach a functional destination.  To get beyond just “surface learning” you have to push the envelope further than learning by rote.

Here is a step by step breakdown of this learning spectrum:

•   Knowledge: ability to recall something
•   Comprehension: clear understanding of the knowledge
•   Application: performing the move after being shown

Most people stop here.

•   Analysis: breaking down the complex whole into parts and then looking at the parts in some detail. 
•   Synthesis: problem solving
•   Evaluation: final analysis of strengths and weaknesses

You will not have a full understanding of a new topic without taking it through this spectrum.  Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes!

Out

Joe
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:49:11 PM by Joe Hubbard »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

PaulGappyNorris

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:06:16 PM »

Joe, you're changing the (my) question to fit your answer  :) see original...

I'm not asking what is right, wrong ,or, arguing about short cuts. I recogise that people should put more training time in - but, simply, what would you teach.

I don't currently teach, but if I had to give someone a 'crash course' of sorts I'd teach them (apart from the never give up attitude): fist, hammer fist, palm, elbow, fingers jab, toe kick, stamp kick and utilise a striking pad to demonstrate and coach.

Basic, basic, basic (IMHO) techniques for a complete 'newbie' who hasn't any experience of combat and only has interest/time in a 'taster' course of practicality.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »

I didn't change anything; I was asking for clarification as what YOU described ( a straight lead punch followed by anything) is a principle, not a technique.  You specified that you were not interested in principles; right?  Karl then listed a variety of tools and you singled out the chin jab as not being effective.

Reread my post as it explains what is most important.  If you are looking for isolated tools, then check out Hock's Unarmed 1, 2 & 3.

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

PaulGappyNorris

• Level 2
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »

I'm not looking for advice per se, I'm content with what I know. My simple list is valid for me, and I'm sure anyone would benefit given those few simple techniques along with a bit of Norris attitude. However, I'm quite sure there are more experienced 'teachers' who may have other ideas -  Just asking as I'm curious to other opinions.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:09:09 AM by PaulGappyNorris »

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »

What I'd do is teach a handful of basic strikes like the palm strike, elbow, knee, low stomp kick, etc.

In addition, I'd teach how to break out of holds/grabs in a way that leads into a counter-attack.  I've seen people teach escapes that either take too much effort, put the defender and attacker back in a position that the attacker can just attack again, or end up with the defender escaping the hold but with her back to the attacker.

Then I'd teach evasive movement and the basics of how to fall/roll.

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 01:39:09 PM »

Here Are Some Examples:

1. knee or kick to the balls, elbow or hammerfist to back of head, knee to the head (if necessary, upward kick to the head, foot stomps once he is on the ground

2. palm strike to the face and knee strike to the groin, knee strike to the head, foot stomps once on the ground

3.headbutt, knee to the groin, upward kick to the head, foot stomps once he is on the ground
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:39:29 PM by VicMackey »
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »

More Techiniques:

1. grab the back of his head with 1 hand, eye gouge with your index and middle finger with the other hand, and then twist his neck, if he's still a threat, stomp him in the head

2. while blocking with your arm, counter with an elbow stike from the other arm, knee strike to the groin, and then a hammerfist to the back of the neck, knee to the head, and then follow with foot stomps if he falls to the ground and still poses a threat

3. sidekick to the kneecap, hammerfists to the side of the neck, knee to the groin, vertical kick to the head, and then continuous round kicks to the head as he tries to get up
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

Download