W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 22, 2018, 08:21:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tomonage Throw in Action  (Read 3084 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Tomonage Throw in Action
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:23:01 AM »

Check this out!  Hock you're going to dig this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djdy_fhvZuM

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Tomonage Throw in Action
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:28 AM »

That was Good.

Do you think the Judo Master worked on his throws in the 3000-5000 or MORE rep scheme to perfect the failed Hip throw or the barely managed Tomonage?

I thought that after a throw like that onto a hard surface the opponent would not be able to breath and or get up right away?LOL

Real life and Dojo
Two Different things.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »

That is awesome.

At last, a politician fight where something was actually pulled off!

Hock

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Hi Jim

It just goes to show that the takedown (or any isolated technique) is crap without the attributes to back them up.  Not to mention any previous attacks to start the diminishment. 

This clip, however, is really just comedic- I bet you anything that those guys are colleagues whose intention was not to hurt each other.

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »

And that hip throw.

You know I do not teach that basic hip throw. Gave it up about 1994. I have seen it fail so many times in real life and also in chaotic, force-on-force training. And by people with long Judo backgrunds. I just can't get my guys to pull it off under real pressure. I know, I know, I'll get hate mail, and we'll start seeing some YouTubes where people have pulled it off, but I just don't trust tecahing it.

Plus the natural counters are a long list.

I do teach the reverse, back to bak hip thorw where the counters list is smaller, and I tecah counters to common hip throw in case someone tries to do it on them.

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:22:21 AM »

You will notice that when he throws him using his feet he still is  holding on when the guy lands which takes some of shock-looks like he really did not try to  hurt the guy.
 I was taught that when the guy goes over to pull both collars hard in a snapping motion as he lands then roll over and get on top. Oh well interesting vidio. whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »

I thought it was humorous and I bet these guys have worked together for awhile and are probably friends,this is why so many of these Asian political fights are funny.

I have always wondered why None of these Political fights ever showed some one with training pulling off some thing and finally we have one,as Hock said.

Aside from the Humor we do see Realism of some one with training pulling off a move and failing to pull off another,such is reality even amongst friends.

As I said before,I always look at these things and tend to examine them,just something I tend to do,to learn from and or see why it worked /why it Failed.

Whitewolf,
The throw could have been made harder by the thrower pulling the collar in,as you said,by letting go as the throw was in motion and or by pushing the shoulders  and allowing the leg push/throw to be half hearted so the opponent lands on his/her head.

I also like to read the Comments by the viewers on the site:
The viewers believed that clip to be classical performance of technique,even the failed throw was said to have caused balance disruption in the opponent,yet the opponent still managed to stay upright and make a grab of his own before the tape ended.

Milldog1776

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »

I love this technique! We work it a lot. It's the best thing since sliced bread for a guy who just wants to run you over.

And if he's not expecting it? Whammo!

Reminds me of the one that I did to Bryan Stevenson during a test a few years ago. He wasn't expecting it, and I wasn't expecting to do it. Hock screamed, "Alright, any counter to an opponent charging you!". I turned around looking for Bryan to talk over real quick a scenario to do, and here he comes...full tilt boogy! And it just happened! It's hard to pressure test more than that!

Hock said that Bryan's eyes were as big as pie plates! LOL! I'm sure mine were too! ;D

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »

JimH  and all=Actually the tactic shown to  me was starting with snap kick with left foot  to groin as you block a right punch or attempt right grab then the grabbing to collar area-as you sink and fall back pushing with the right foot in the pit of his stomach snapping your wrists as he goes over-the snap is what assists in doing the damage-you just keep rolling right over and you wind up on top. We did this on indoor/outdoor carpet over cement so i know it doesnt hurt the thrower on hard surface.
Whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »

I used to do this with my friends on the street all the time when younger.

Even doing it on concrete ,if the throw is done while the collar is pulled,there is not real pain.

So many equate doing a move like that on concrete,or any throw onto concrete as a Fight Ender,unless the opponent is launched high and allowed to drop hard with an Immediate rollup to the mount by the thrower,there does not seem to be much disabling impact.

Milldog1776

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »

It's still a great move. Don't stop practicing it because it might not be a fight ender...It may be all you have at the time.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »

Never stop training any move if it works .

Hopefully when you have to make it work there will be a wall nearby to launch the opponent into head first.

Download