W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 24, 2018, 06:53:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stick sparring and protective gear  (Read 3298 times)

juszczec

• Level 3
stick sparring and protective gear
« on: July 15, 2008, 08:56:32 AM »

Hi folks

This is related to the thread in the Unarmed Combatives forum.  Recently, I had a little brush with an injury that probably came from getting whacked by a stick in the side during a self defense seminar.

I've done a bit of reading about all the soft stuff that lives in the body between the end of the ribs and the start of the pelvis and how it can get hurt and its got me a little wigged out.

Now, grlaun advises me to HTFU and that may truly be what's necessary.

But, while we're on the subject - how many of you spar full contact with sticks using only helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, hockey gloves and cups?  Do you allow body strikes?  Limb strikes?  What kind of injuries have you encountered?

I'm also concerned about the long term wear and tear on the body.  I intend to do this stuff until I'm so old I cannot get up. 

Mark
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:01:45 AM by juszczec »

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: stick sparring and protective gear
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »

Mark=awhile ago when i had my school a friend of  mine asked if he could come assist because he had padding/helmet/knee shins etc-i said ok-one of my students took the stick we used and he came after her-she swung that stick in a round house style and got him on the elbow-(which was not padded)=heheheh he could not use his arm for a week
because the elbow  swelled up=that would teach  him to come after a student of  mine=
seriously its better to  be protected fully if one wants not to  get  hurt..whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

sifu007

• Forum Member
    • elite combatives europe
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »

Hey Mark,In regards to your post : I would not recommend just doing the sparring without some good protection. I used to fight alot when I was connected to a stick fighting group and had alot of sparring sessions in Belgium. Things is I was younger and I didn't care to much about injury or wasn't thinking clear about it. Just carying a fencing helmet and hockey gloves isn't enough, you need more. And of course it is a good workout but realisticly it is not cause of limitations and the duelling effect. But if you do so I recommend good protection tools :) I encountered alot of heavy bruising, broken fingers, and for your head it isn't good also just with the fencing helmet. We allowed almost everything but know I don't spar anymore, can't with my work as a personal trainer. If you need more suggestions on protection and what is good to wear let me know. All the best.

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »

Whitewolf - I know that no protection plan is perfect.  Pity about your buddy's arm.

sifu007 - Right now we use hockey helmets, elbow pads, knee pads, hockey gloves and cups.  Nothing else.  What would you recommend?

Mark

sifu007

• Forum Member
    • elite combatives europe
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »

Hey Mark,

I don't know the hockey helmets but they provide probably more protection then fencing masks I suppose. Knee pads and elbow protection and a cup is standard I guess. Of course fighting with regular pants is more real then a short but it will also ad some little protection for the legs. The head is what counts most for the protection and I think you can't do more then you already do. Enjoy the sparring or fighting.

Chris

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »

Hey Mark,

I don't know the hockey helmets but they provide probably more protection then fencing masks I suppose.

Yes, they do.  I don't know if Canadian/American hockey is popular wherever you live, but the helmets we use are designed to protect the heads of hockey players from hockey sticks (think big wooden golf club), pucks (chunk of hard rubber about as thick as your first thumb joint and as wide as your palm) and other hockey players.

I'm quite pleased with these helmets. 

Mark

Robert Robbins

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »

We train w/  saber fencing masks, hand gear,  and treat each other as we know we have to go to work tomorrow.  Many  stick hickies, all over your body, but with a measure of control. My training partners know if I break a hand,  I ' m screwed and cannot work. It's good hard sparring, yet we all look out for each other.

Rob
"You may not be intersted in war, but war is interested in you."

Leon Trotsky

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:17:52 PM »

I've used a hockey mask, lacrosse gloves and small sticks with padding.  They hurt but not too bad sure keeps you alert!

If you spar a few more times this week jus you be alright! ;D
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Download