W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 23, 2018, 10:09:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Eye Attack - Proven Effective!  (Read 9940 times)

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Re: The Eye Attack - Proven Effective!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:49:55 AM »

Cool article and this quote from it encapsulates it all:

"I just remember being dragged along backwards. I was trying to feel its gills but I found its eye and I stuck my finger in and that's when it let go."

Remember this the next time someone tells you that you have to have a pro boxer's delivery system to poke someone in the eye successfully!

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:14:08 AM »

There are similiar stories about bears and crocodiles/aligators.

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »

Glad he survived the attack-whitewolf (el  lobo  blanco)

oz man

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:53:48 AM »

You do hear about people striking sharks in the eyes, they actually roll them right back to protect them when they attack, they are very sensitive. Same for their nose, a good kick or punch to the nose will deter a shark, for how long i don't know but apparently the snout is very sensitive and is used as some sort of receiver or antenna.

Crocodiles on the other hand actually have a second eyelid to protect their eyes. They're in the water everywhere where i live.

In the article it mentions that it's a suprise we don't have more shark attacks considering our amount of coastline and probably lifestyle aswell, but you may be interested to know that the most common location for shark attack in the entire country is right in sydney harbour!

Bri Thai

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:43:36 AM »

Of course an eye attack can be effective.  You know what?  You can even be effective by staring at someone, or saying something mean.......

But it is hardly a safe bet in the worst case scenario, when someone will keep coming as long as they are concious.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »

That's what gives you the opening for your close quarter onslaught so you can finish the guy.  No one ever said that hitting someone in their eyes was a finishing move in itself.  However, the shark story does give you an idea of its' effectiveness.

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »

Joe said it very well. An eye attack may not finish the fight, but it may provide an opening to transition to something else, and buy you a needed moment in time for something else.
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »

The Devil is in the cheating, not the details!

Out

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »

It's great to see the eye attack as a finishing move but I won't count on it. But it's a great way to cause distraction as well as an opening for followup techniques.
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

Adventure

• Level 4
    • Stay Alive Program inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »

The Devil is in the cheating, not the details!

Out

Joe

Joe, I am so using that Quote. That it EXcellent. ;D

Adventure

PS: No worries, I always give credit to the right people.
    I am just not smart enough to come up with it on my own.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 07:21:18 PM »

No worries!  Please use it.

Out

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Martin25

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:52 AM »

Remember the time that the great Randy Couture had to stop fighting when he got hit in the eye and injured.
Martin

Karl

• Level 2
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 03:33:54 AM »

Elite XC Fight Cage Rage 26, 6/1/2008.

Robbie Lawler  V  Scott Smith, in the 2nd round Lawler puts his left fingers in Smiths right Eye and it was all over.
The Doctor stopped the Fight.

ONLY proves the Eye Jab works.

Wardog

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 08:22:57 AM »

Cool article and this quote from it encapsulates it all:

"I just remember being dragged along backwards. I was trying to feel its gills but I found its eye and I stuck my finger in and that's when it let go."

Remember this the next time someone tells you that you have to have a pro boxer's delivery system to poke someone in the eye successfully!

Out

Joe

Luckily, the shark was slow to get it's hands up to block.  The eye job works but delivering it from a distance(as opposed to grappling, let's say) does require extra-ordinary delivery and is far less likely to ever score against someone with hands and arms as opposed to fins.

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »

Wardog,
you say "(the eye jab) is far less likely to ever score against someone with hands and arms"

I think that's a pretty broad generalization.
Given two trained people engaged in mutual combat who start of distant and posed ("dueling") , then yes the eye jab may be difficult. In a self defense situation where the attacker is not expecting the victim to fight back it may not be as difficult. In a grappling situation (not sport, but self defense) it may not be as difficult. There are a lot of variables to consider. I'm thinking if it can discourage a shark, there is a pretty good chance it can discourage a human.

just my $4.05 plus tax

peace

B.
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

the ginger one

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 05:23:01 AM »

A personal thing here - I don't like the idea of training for an eye-jab, I prefer an eye-flick. Yes the eye/s are small targets and to jab (which to me means a controlled straight/direct strike) sounds like a difficult task in itself for it to be effect in a practical situation. Where as the eye-flick, where you extend all fingers in a flicking motion in the general direction of the eyes is not only a 'easier' skill to train it can several effects which could prove useful in a defence situation - blinking, a flinching response, severe pain if heavy contact is made, lastly and most grusome an eye hanging out (not likely but still possible)

I wouldn't ever train an eye-flick as a 'finisher' but more a distraction/evasion technique to be used quick time before as assailant realises you got your guard up. It gives you options in the split second after delivering the strike

As for grappling? fingers and thumbs fit nicely in an eye socket and someone who isn't used to the feeling of having a thumb shoved under their eye will react, giving you the option to do something else!!

Karl

• Level 2
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 03:53:58 AM »

THO,
I don't think anybody here said it is a finisher, anybody with some experience knows it is an Opener, or distraction or a setup for something else.
Lets face it, whilst the Person worries about his eyesight he leaves himself open to anything you throw at him.

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 06:04:48 PM »

Alright! Wardog's back!  I guess since it wasn't Randy Cotoure who would put the shark in a devastating Fin/armbar or Silva put a rear naked choke or Liddel punched its lights out or Ortiz in a single tail fin takedown or St. Pierre with a kimura the eye jab is totally ineffective.  Hey, Thanks for pointing that out! 

The jist is if you ain't MMA you ain't shit, CQC don't work, ESPECIALLY the eye jab!
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Wardog

• Level 4
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »

I am well aware that an eyejab is effective. Hell, just get an eyelash in your eye, that will distract you pretty good, pretty quick.  My point is that it is discussed too often like  the "go to" move. I still believe that standing they are hard to land(you usually see it by accident) and if you can't land a jab standing you aren't getting an eyejab either.

Landed it will definitely do the job. Also, when it comes to risking blinding someone most shy away. That's why many people who are trained, when it comes down to it can't bring themselves to kill or permanently cripple someone and end up dead.   

So, in closing, yes the eye jab is highly effective. Standing, difficult to land and not to be depended on. Grappling, easier. And, blinding someone is not normally where someone wants to go so not psychologically an easy call. 

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »

WD

The reason you saying that "it is hard to land" from a standing perspective is because you are only seeing this from a dueling "trading blows" paradigm.  From an interview postion, this tactic works at a very high percentage.  You also seem to confuse the Eye Jab with the Eye Gouge.  The gouge is what has the potential for serious damage, not the jab.  The jab is used for a distraction type of entry to allow for follow up combos.

Out

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Adventure

• Level 4
    • Stay Alive Program inc.
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 06:03:03 PM »

Just try doing the "Peekaboo Drill" (ask Rawhide to describe it).

Eye jab, eye flick etc. works just fine. Have someone like Bryant eye jabbing at you & you can see real quick that this work just fine.

Heck, any good JKD guy (Milldog)(even though he is not just JKD anymore) can make this work just fine. Hands up/arms up does not matter.

What matters is the distance, nontelegraphing or faking.

A

Download