W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 23, 2018, 05:42:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Average Duration of a Knife fight?  (Read 1942 times)

ashii

• Forum Member
Average Duration of a Knife fight?
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:09:28 AM »

What is an average duration of a knife fight? I have only been in one knife altercation.

art...

Karl

• Level 2
Re: Average Duration of a Knife fight?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:27:43 AM »

How long is a piece of string?

Depends on the Guy using the knife, also on the guy getting stabbed.
As most people don't realise they got stabbed, it depends then on the guy with the knife how long he is stabbing the other guy.

Sorry a bit convoluted.

ashii

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:03:22 AM »

What I am looking for is Less than 2 minutes, or 5 minutes, or 10 minutes. Since dueling is a low occurrence I would imagine that a good old collision and knife fight would be in the 2 minute range much like a street/bar fight, but I do not have enough experience in knife encounters.

Thank you for your response,
Artů

Trainer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »

Mine took 15 hours, lots of drinking and falling over were involved, and we had to break for meals

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »

Good one Trainer!! 

Usually knife "fights" start out as stabbings or knife assaults.  There really isn't much lead in time, or like the movies where you have the big build up and the music swells and then the duel in slow motion.  It's generally pretty quick.  I have been fortunate, all my encounters with someone armed with an edged weapon they were never able to get it out.  It was generally buried in their pocket, and at the beginning of the altercation they tried to go for it and I was able to smother their arm, or get them on the ground and gain control of them before they could get it out.

I had a shoplifter once who was stealing the reels off fishing rods and stuffing them down the front of his pants.  When I caught him, he took off and tried to run away, but triped over his own feet (he was wearing cowboy boots) and I piled on top of him. He started trying to fish around in his pocket and I grabbed his arm.  By then the other guys I worked with got there and we got him pinned.  Once the police arrived, we found that he had a box cutter in each pocket.  Even though he had 4 knives he couldn't access any of them quick enough, lucky for me. 

I guess that is the long way of saying that they, like most altercations happen within a few seconds.   
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

ashii

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »

Thank You kamagong.

That was some picture of the guy with all those box cutters and fishing reels.

I have been in one knife encounter, it was short. I was unarmed and had no choice but to fight back. I was lucky and probably just meaner than he was. It ended well for me.

art...

Download