W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 16, 2018, 02:55:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bayonets  (Read 1739 times)

Contractor

• Level 1
Bayonets
« on: February 17, 2005, 01:18:12 AM »

Hello, I am looking for reviews on the Army standard issue M-9, the older style M-7, and the new Marine Corps M-10 bayonets.  If anyone knows where I can find the information on the web, please let me know.  Opinions also welcome.

Thank you

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
Re: Bayonets
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 05:04:01 AM »

Well, I have an opinion on the M9 bayonet.  I am Sergeant in the 3rd Inf Div.
     The M9 is a valuable tool, provided it is attached to the rifle.  Otherwise, it is not to wonderful, and I prefer my standard combat knife.  The blade is to thick to really cut and sharpen effectively, and the little saw teeth on the spine don't really accopmlish anything.  Also, most M9 bayonets that I have seen are not maintained very well, being about as sharp as the average MRE spoon.  The sheath for the bayonet is very sturdy, but provides only one real way of attaching the weapon to your kit, and is pretty unwieldy.  It tends to flop around a lot. 
     Again, at the end of a rifle, the M9 is a valuable CQC weapon, IMHO.  With the full weight and power of your body behind it, you can wreak serious havoc on some badguys.  However, as my first sergeant, now Sergeant Major Huffman put it, "When you hear fix bayonets, that's when you know that your sh*t is weak."

Sgt. Kent Newland
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Trembula

Re: Bayonets
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 06:05:15 AM »

Real quick, the USMC Multipurpose Bayonet is the OKC-3S. It is not called the M10.

The M9 sucks all around as bayonet. It thrusts poorly, slashses horribly, and functions even worse when removed from the weapon. The handle ergonomics are BAD and the modular contstruction encourages it to literally fall apart.

The M7 wasn't a bad bayonet for a Thrust-centric bayonet system. That sucker will stab through almost anything. However it functions extremely poorly for slashing.

I personally think the OKC-3S is the best bayonet since the demise of the m1905 16" long sucker used on the Garands and Springfields. It can slash and thrust well, and functions well enough as a knife that I could be seriously tempted to leave a dedicated "knife" at home and just carry the bayonet. The 8" blade has the leverage and heft to actually chop small underbrush and the steel resharpens easily (take a diamond rod or extra course stone with you).

My only complaint with it really is that the lower handguard is a bit smaller than I would like and the sheath is pretty bulky. Newt Livesay or another custom kydex guy could fix the latter problem and I think I can live with the former.

Get the OKC-3S ---- you won't have just a bayonet, you'll also have a (small) Bowie to take into battle.

If you shop around, you should be able to find one for about 100 bucks from a Marine Exchange or perhaps one of the reputable mail-order places.

Dan

Download