W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 23, 2018, 05:57:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What gun do you choose for carry and self defense  (Read 3900 times)

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
What gun do you choose for carry and self defense
« on: November 13, 2004, 01:37:52 PM »

What gun do you actually carry or own for self defnese?not what is your dream gun.

My carry gun and home gun is a Glock 19. 

I also have a  Mossberg 590 shotgun for home defense if opportunity allows.

Not looking to start a debate. Only interested in what people carry and own for defense.

Sabbi55

Re: What gun do you choose for carry and self defense
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 09:42:28 AM »

My primary carry gun is a s+w 457 .45, warm weather gun is a colt pocketlight

.380. I also have a ruger p-85 9mm that I carry for my part time job (armored car

driver/guard). I have a rem. 870 .12 ga. for home.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †Tom

Gabriel Thierry

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »

I just medically retired from the police department after 23 years.† Way back, I made the decision that if I was going to carry, I was going to carry all the time.† Through the years I carried a variety of off-duty weapons.† For each handgun I ended up with about four holsters.† Time and experience reduced my choices.† Iím the lead defensive tactics and impact weapons instructor and am also a tactical firearms instructor.† So after years of bouncing back and forth from numerous handguns I finally settled on weapon and generally one method of carry.†

My duty weapon is a Sig P-229 in 40 caliber.† A good ten years ago I went to a sub-compact Glock Model 27 in 40 caliber as a back-up and off-duty weapon.† Our combat course is a high-speed close range shoot.† It starts at one yard and goes to fifteen yards.† Almost all police shootings are at a distance three to twenty-one feet, with a vast majority of them being ten feet or less. Civilian shootings are very much the same.† On our combat course, I can shoot every bit as good with my sub-compact Glock as I can with my full-size Sig.† Itís extreme high speed shooting with reasonable accuracy.† If I qualify an officer who hits all in the 10-ring either he is very, very accurate and very, very fast or heís shooting too slowly.† †Otherwise, I push him for more speed and slightly less accuracy. Granted, gun fights are not won by bullets whizzing past someoneís head.† You have to hit the target.† †But the first hits with moderate accuracy are going to save lives.† And letís† admit it, in a life and death shooting youíre going to shoot faster than you every have before.

Anyway, back to my carry gun.† My Glock 27 is equipped with a Laser-Max internal laser.† I really like the fact that thereís nothing on the exterior of the pistol that shows itís laser equipped.† If you know exactly what to look for you can tell the bushing is different.† And a laser is a great option for a weapon.† A simple beam of light stops many potentially fatal encounters.† My baby Glock has Trijicon night-sights and the slide is Robar NP-3 coated.† NP-3 has the reputation of being about the toughest after-market finish you can put on a gun.† Since the grip is so short, I added a mag adaptor that gives me one extra round.† Thatís ten in the mag and one in the chamber.† I had trouble with the ďPlus 1Ē Pearce adaptor- it wouldnít stay fully seated.† So I switched to a Scherer Plus 1 and have had no problems at all.† †One of the nice things about Glocks is that the longer mags fit in the smaller frame guns.† I carry three additional thirteen-round mags.† That puts me at a total of forty-seven rounds.† Iím not paranoid, but I teach.† And I feel itís my responsibility to set the proper example.† The fact is, if you end up in a shooting it could be one or two rounds, or it could be a firefight with multiple suspects.† If youíre going to carry a gun, you should be prepared most threats.† (I wonít mention the two boxes of extra ammo I keep in the trunk of my car or the extra mag I keep in my glove box.)

Itís a beautiful gun thatís comfortable to carry and has served me well through thousands and thousands of rounds.† It feels like a part of me-† like an American Express card, I donít leave home without itÖ

Gabe Thierry
Retired Sergeant, South Pasadena PD

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 03:08:10 AM »

What gun do you actually carry or own for self defnese?not what is your dream gun.

My carry gun and home gun is a Glock 19.†

I also have a† Mossberg 590 shotgun for home defense if opportunity allows.

Not looking to start a debate. Only interested in what people carry and own for defense.

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 06:56:25 AM »

i have 2 semiautomatic pistols for self-defense. they are the h&k usp .40 (home defense gun/cold weather ccw gun/13+1 rds.) and s&w model 457 .45 (backup home defense gun/hot weather ccw gun/7+1 rds.). both are equipped with federal hydrashock hollowpoint rounds. they are mine for life and i don't plan on trading or selling them.

anjin

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 02:43:44 PM »

I also carry the Glock 27.  It's a great little weapon- I can even carry it in my front pocket.  I took a class at Front Sight using it & shot as well as or better than all the guys using full size weapons (#2 in the shot-off at the end of class).
I also have a Winchester 12 ga. Defender for home use.

CClifton

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 06:49:45 AM »

At work it is a Smith 4046 as primary with a Glock 26 as a backup.  Away from work, I use the G26 as my primary offduty pistol, but run a G19 when I travel out of town.

Home protection is an AR, an 870, and/or whichever pistol I get to first.

devil dog

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 09:07:37 PM »

Gunsite 1911 for carry, for pleasure, for sure.  That pistol finds a home every time I wrap my hand around it.  Belgian Malinois for home!!(Former Israeli dog with an appetite for Dairy Queen Beltbusters).

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 12:31:07 AM »

I too carry a Glock 27.  I love how concealable it is, and I have no problems shooting it, either with or without the magazine extensions.  For me, it is a great compromise between stopping power, and size of the pistol, and concealability.  I have only used the pearce extensions, and I believe that it was winchester golden saber hollow points that i carried in it.
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

hogg70

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 09:27:04 PM »

Winter gun Colt 1991a1 compact -makarov summer gun-very hot weather kel-tec .380 just remember to have a gun in a gun fight- shot placement counts more than anythig!

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »

CCW Carry and Home Defense:
H&K USP . 40 S&W semiautopistol (cool weather CCW)
S&W Model 457 .45 ACP semiautopistol (warm weather CCW)

Home Defense:
Mossberg 590 Persuader 12-ga. pump shotgun

"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

edude69

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »

Carry:  Springfield Armory V-10 .45

Home:  Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm w/tac light
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. 

George Orwell

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 02:54:13 PM »

Carry: Sig P229 9-mm, with no light or laser

Home: Sig556 5.56-mm carbine, with SureFire light

Reserve: if needed: Springfield 1911A1 45-cal
Arsenal S/A AKM 5.56-mm
DSA FAL 7.62-mm carbine
Remington 870 12-gauge
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »

In the house...
12G pump Winch1300 hidden nearby
45ACP auto at reach

On the road...
45ACP auto in locked boxes of coarse

On the home range....
308 M1A on shoulder

On the trail....
223 SU-16 in backpack (folded)

In Alaska....
44 mag revolver +
300 mag rifle

In bed....
this is rifle this is my gun, one is for killing one is for fun!
An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

m700m

• Forum Member
  • "ONLY GOOD MEN, BECOME GREAT MEN"
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »

G22 primary, g27 BUG, m70AB2 trunk gun, in willson soft ball bag.

Download