W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 17, 2018, 07:16:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stomping side kick to the knee  (Read 5309 times)

Edgedweapons

• Forum Member
    • Self Defense Knives
stomping side kick to the knee
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:02:49 AM »

ever since i was introduce to the side kick to the knee in my early years of jkd training. i always had the idea of it easily hyper extending the opponents knee and a high probablity of breaking it.

my question is, what is the probablities of this happening? i was watching some sport savate fights and the sidekick to the lower thigh didnt seem to even straighten the leg most of the time. all comments/ opinion/ and facts are appreciated.

Edged

Karl

• Level 2
Re: stomping side kick to the knee
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:32:49 AM »

It Hyperextends if you hit it from the front.
The patella stops-Breaks  at a certain point.
As to the side, the knee permits sideways movement about 10 Degrees either way.
Sidekicks work if the leg you are kicking is rigid held.
Body Mechanics, check your own Leg-Knee and how far you can move it in 4 directions.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:26:42 PM »

yes, do it.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »

Good post- recently I  watched on Youtube_Kely Mcaan showing his version of using the inside blade side of the foot to the inner part of the opposite knee area-see it you can pull it up and look at it- WW (ELB)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »

The knee does NOT have to be rigid in order to effect a strike.
All attacks to the knee,from any angle, should be done in a downward motion.
The driving downward motion of the stomp when delivered from the front will lock the leg out and cause injury,severity depends on contact and drive through target.
If delivered with a driving downward motion from the sides or the back it will buckle the knee and as long as contact and drive are maintained to the ground it will cause injury ,and tearing at minimum.
From the rear a driving downward motion will tear ,and has the potential to pop the patella .

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:14:18 AM »

JimH-makes sense to  me-look at all the football players who are messed up-knee gets hit from all angles-WW

Remo

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »

With a degree as a Physical Therapist Assistant, I have become quite knowledgable on the anatomical function of the knee.  First-- here are the ligaments:
Anterior Cruciate -- Prevents ANTERIOR to MEDIAL translation of the tibia from the femur
Posterior Cruciate -- Prevents POSTERIOR translation of the tibia from the femur
Medial Collateral -- Prevents valgus (medial side) bending
Lateral Collateral -- Prevents varus (lateral side) bending

There are a few other ligaments that support the meniscus (shock absorber).

AND THEN you have the patella...  Oh Boy!!!  I tell ya fellas, that any injury to the meniscus will probably lead to osteoarthritis years to follow...  Bone rubbing on bone--- VERY PAINFUL!!!

If you ever want to take someone's ACL out--  a sure fire way is to stomp or land from a fall on the posterior lateral aspect of the calf (gastrocnemius) while the opponents knees are bent after you kick him in the balls or from a Thai kick...  POP goes the weasel!  A hard stomp kick to the anterior/superior aspect of the tibia while opponent's knee is extended can disrupt the PCL!  You might be able to, if your aim is true, dislocate the knee cap.  The patella normally tracks laterally along a groove... so a nice stomp kick medial to lateral will dislocate the targeted kneecap...

Ligaments attach bone to bone....  The strength or support actually comes from the muscles.  Alot of football players without an ACL function just fine without a brace...  It depends on the condition.  There are far too many variables one must take into consideration to accurately. 

I suggest doing research as pertaining to the muscles and their function...  Specifically, agonist vs. antagonist...  How many joints does a specific muscle move (closed chain vs. open chain)...  Eccentric vs. concentric.... 

Great Rewards come with knowledge!  STUDY HARD!!!  LOL!!!
"TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions"  G.K. Chesterson

Edgedweapons

• Forum Member
    • Self Defense Knives
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 04:08:53 AM »

Good post- recently I  watched on Youtube_Kely Mcaan showing his version of using the inside blade side of the foot to the inner part of the opposite knee area-see it you can pull it up and look at it- WW (ELB)

i saw it. 1 known terminogy of that kick is the oblique kick. that kick usually comes out for me when im trapping / wrapping arms.

Download