W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• December 14, 2018, 05:56:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Biggest Mistake You Can Make In a Fight  (Read 6154 times)

Wardog

• Level 4
Biggest Mistake You Can Make In a Fight
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »

Time for more input on what some folks would consider an easy to answer question yet gets several different answers.

To start it off.

"Assuming it will be a fair fight."

"Acting defensively instead of offensively".

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Biggest Mistake You Can Make In a Fight
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »

Ill start----NEVER assume anything-fight to come home-if you dont you will not be the winner-  whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »

As WW said,"never assume anything"

A Fight is a Fight.
What makes it Fair ?
An Invitation to step outside
or
Is it a competition.

If it is a competition then fight within the rules.

Anything else fight to Win,end it quickly,doing what ever needs to be done to go home.

Defensive or Offensive  in a non competive setting ?

If you get the chance to jump off first do it.
Hit First,Hit Fast,Hit Often.

My two cents

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »

The biggest mistake...well:

-turning your back on someone who is getting pissed off, keep the eyes on the hands and shoulders

-trying to talk down, insult, or otherwise out wit the guy; when ur talkin ur not ready to fight.  A very serious adrenaline bark such as "Get the F away from me or I will F u up" will get you ready to fight and if witnesses are present, you appear to be defending yourself.  Good for aftermath investigation by LEO.

-not being armed (does not mean you need to pull it).  A "fight" turns deadly when there are weapons.  Most fights involve weapons on the street.  So have one on hand or get one ready asap.

-after "fight" you decide to stick around.  Done this more than once, and one time guy tried to throw a cup of gasoline on me while we were at a beach bonfire party.  He missed...and he paid the price.  I should've left after it was broken up an hour before.

-getting too drunk or messed up on drugs.  If that is your game, you'd better be practicing while in the same inebriated state.

-fighting over women.  Insults to your ego can be refreshing, means that you are with a hot babe and the guy is a jealous monkey spanker.  Just laugh it off and leave.  If the gal you are with is flirting, leave her at the scene and get another babe, she is probably guzzling jiz on the side anyways.  And to add injury to insult, she will end up getting you stitches by the end of the night if you let your pocket rocket do the thinking for you.

-having a black belt mentality.  Nothing funnier than hearing someone say "I warn you I have a black belt in bullshido".  Night night black belt.

An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »

actually Jim and WW I believe there is one assumption that IS safe to make in a fight and that is that he has a knife.

Given the amount of times we hear about people not realizing the bad guy was armed with a blade I believe it's better to assume he is and treat him as such.

Nick
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »

Nick,
I agree fully.
I tell the people I work with that if you do not see both hands always go with the thought they are armed and deal with them accordingly.
(even if they see both hands the opponent could have one of those small spike knives  or a short blade that fits between the fingers)

Charles Rives

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 07:45:50 PM »

Maybe the assumption that you have to participate would be the biggest mistake.  Whether you walk away, run away or use deescalation and boundary setting to avoid  a fight (even one that you're pretty sure that you'll win) would all make engaging in an unnecessary fight seem like a big mistake.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 10:26:07 PM »

I agree about the hidden weapon-I have been out of the US for awhile but I bet that a majority of the injuries and need for hospitalization is due to expedient weapon being used

Over here in kuwait when you read the crime page almost eveyone uses a knife and uses it quickly- thee is not block grab twist the wrist  ;D-they just get hurt and taken to hosptal or worse

As  stated watch the hands /shoulders and attack.

Thinking about it-I have read about a lot of injuries over here  by the use of hitting or backing up on a opponent with thier auto-when they ae behind the wheel  here they just step on the gas and try to run you over.

WW (ELB)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »

Getting into the position of not having a choice but to make a fight out of it.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 12:45:32 AM »

Underestimating their ability or overestimating your own.

Not having the mindset that you are going to destroy them no matter what.

Failing to notice their buddy lying in wait for the boot party.
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

What Michael said about is partner waiting to jump in is valuable-
Always (if possible check out the shadows)
WW (ELB)

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 10:48:05 AM »

I'd have to agree on the "assume he's armed" philosophy.  Depending on where you are, assume he has the weapon of choice:
-knife in areas where guns are banned
-guns in areas where they are legal

Either way, you either have to make the decision to commit to the fight, or get out of there quick.  And if you do commit, make sure you have a medical insurance card ready for the ER.

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »

And...know your blood type.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 08:45:49 PM »

How about running the fuckhead over with a 1972 Buick Electra 225. 5800 plus pounds of American iron. Should work like a charm
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:00:14 AM »

I ALWAYS recommend such tactics...  The America Impact disarm - Chevy 5 ton v. knife/stick/gun
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

edude69

• Level 2
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »

After I got sucker punched by an inmate very early in my career, my buddy later tells me, "The best baton draw you can do is the one you should have done 10 seconds ago".  If you feel the situation going to shit, get ready and/or get off first. 
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. 

George Orwell

Martin25

• Level 1
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 05:52:10 AM »

Keep your "John Wane impression" in check.
I stupidly did it once and nearly got killed by two guys who kicked the crap out of me!
Martin

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 07:04:16 AM »

Avoid at all costs, but if you do get in an altercation, fight like it's your last day on the planet, as it just may be. End it as quickly as possible. Give no quarter. Make sure you are the one that goes home to his family and his stock of Saint Arnold.
Hang a picture of either myself of the Nickster to remind you that there are a lot of ugly people out there. Of course most of you could just look in the mirror and get the same effect
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 08:31:09 AM »

Arnold- Ha---I am a cute old white wolf so I ant looking in any mirror-I am sticking to my original post --WW (ELB)

Ed Stowers

• Level 3
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »

Assuming it's a real fight and that you have a choice, the biggest mistake you can make is usually showing up for it.  The best way to not get hurt in a fight is don't go to one.

Assuming you have no choice...I think waiting for the other guy to make the first move is pretty high on the list.  But it can get you in real trouble iwth the law, even though it's tactically sound.  Other than that, I agree with the other stuff said.

On the other hand, so much of trying to answer a question like this is very contextual.  It all depends on the sitution.  The only broad-based answer to a tactical question usually starts off with "it depends."

Love may conquer all...but I'm not giving up on anti-matter weapons just yet. ;)

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

I'm going back and made a list of the fights I've been in (that I can remember) and how they started. Most of the mistakes I made early on was trying to avoid the situation once it started getting vocal.  Using my self-defense mentality from martial arts, I always got either smacked or tackled before I could respond, then the fight was on.  Once I tossed that strategy out, I was very quick to throw first, and that gave me the edge every time. Avoiding a fight just didn't work in my youth, you had to put-up.  Had to, even if you got beat! 

I also thwarted a car jacking, two robberies (one at ATM), and what we think was a kidnapping of a neighbors daughter by being confrontational and not backing down.  In fact I acted crazy (which is easy for me to do, I am darn near crazy!), pacing back and forth and just rambling and swearing, almost frothing at the mouth, almost like I didn't notice the criminal activity.

One time in front of a 7-11 in Oakland, I stink eyed a guy blocking the door, went in, came out, and I got sucker punched to the ground while walking out.  He had punker rings on his fingers, I went down, realized what happened, all bloody and shit, something came over me and I just popped up grabbed this guys hair and kneeed the shit out of his face, then proceeded to smash his head against a truck bumper until he went limp, then when he was face down I kept on stomping the back of his skull for what seemed like forever, then got out of there quick.  ER visit to sew me up.  I learned, never, ever, ever let a guy leave your peripheral vision, ever!

And house break-ins...I learned that waking up, grabbing the shotgun, opening the door and popping one off (even in a residential area...aimed high of coarse) makes the best impression.  Bang!  And when the neighbors ask about it, I'd say I don't know, strange...

Best defense is clearly a good offense!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »

shastana=the part about use of a shotgun is interesting-the parts about being a attacker instead of waiting makes sense too-better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6-

As to perriferal vision (spelling?)-that is probably one of the most important aspects when walking/running/driving/on patrol-etc etc- that will safe your life

Over here in camel country- Kuwait- while driving on the highways and side street if one does not look almost 360-all the time they are subject to crash/bam-  and no thankyou mam----kids run  out in the street-drivers come wong way-drivers drive on emergancy lane to pass-etc etc- god dam  what a triip ....... ;D

seya stay  safe- WW (ELB)

Edgedweapons

• Forum Member
    • Self Defense Knives
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 05:03:14 AM »

The biggest mistake is psychological, our body usually goes were are mind goes.

To me it seems it mainly boils down too what do you focus on?

Do you focus on:

how intimidating he looks?
negative things that can happen to you?
on how you would appeal to the crowd?

focus that generates fear is the worst,

not only does it decrease the ability to perform, it creates torturing anxiety thats prolly worst than just getting beat up.

Thats why i believe in full contact sparring (HIGH probability of pain), may not be realistic but does help you develop your performance under pressure.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:08:05 AM by Edgedweapons »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »

The single biggest mistake to make in a fight, is thinking there is one single big mistake. Of course, I may be mistaken by saying that?

Hock
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:37:17 AM by Hock »

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »

Uh-oh!
Hock got stuck watching "Enter the Dragon" again!

Very Zen-ish of you (or did Arnold slip you one of those nasty green striped pills?!). :o

"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:17 PM »

Staying engaged in the fight longer than need be.

I defeat the threat, get my opponent on the ground, quick check for weapons, stomp on ankle, head or hand and then get out of Dodge. Sticking around only increases the odds of:  buddy with weapon, opponent pulls out a weapon you didn't see, you over react and end up on wrong side of law etc.

Failing to commit.

There is a place for sparring-style jabs and feinting etc.  In the boxing ring and in some training.  In a real fight, you explode and finish it.  Playing patty-cake is a great way to get overwhelmed quickly.
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

The biggest mistake is to fight like you do in sparring, as if there were some rules to the game. You have to fight dirty. If you have not thought this through ahead of time you may revert to the rules driven practice under stress.
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 06:31:04 AM »

I think the biggest mistake you can make in a fight is to lose the fight

Download