W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 20, 2018, 09:13:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Found a video that is interesting  (Read 3338 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Found a video that is interesting
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:20:55 AM »

While searching through u tube for H2H vidios i came accross this one.
Korea Jiujitsu Hopkido from go3398

gongkwon usol  shows some pretty interesting blocks throws and locks

what is good is that the move is shown and then instructor goes back and walks you through it instead of just going full speed

maybe some of the tactics would fit into your training

I skip the high kicks as they just dont work for me so i ignore them

There are a couple good collar chokes that might fit in to you guys and gals who train in
regular judo tactics

WW (ELB)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:43:02 PM by Hock »

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Found a vidio that is interesting
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:56:17 AM »

A lot of what you see in this created art is yudo/Judo and Hapkido/Yu sool/Jujitsu

Yu Sool was one of the first names Choi gave his art,it is said to be the Korean Term for Jujitsu,the art later became termed Hapkido.

Jujitsu ,no matter the name, is useful in self defense and can find a way into most systems to a degree.
(this form of Jujitsu is more stand up than the ever popular Gracie/Brazillian Jujitsu which works the ground aspect of Judo to the extreme)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:45:31 AM »

Good evening JimH-thanks for the response-I always respect your comments-I will be reviewing these vidios a  lot-sense I am a "stand up type "- I saw that there is a school in Australia , korea and i think South America.

Is the tactics that are shown compramental to what you study and teach?

The vidios are in korean but the detail is good so one can learn from them.

stay safe- WW (ELB)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:26 PM »

WW,
My long term traditional art of study is Hapkido.
As a Teacher of an art or a system we all add things and take things away that we learned elsewhere,so I add to my traditional art things that to me make it more street/combat realistic.

A lot of the techniques used in Gongkwon Yusul by Master Kang Jun are Hapkido based.
He seems though to like his techniques to finish on the ground,(Judo/BJJ based),I disagree with this aspect.
I would like the opponent to be on the ground when done ,not me,as this is not a range I want to voluntarily go to on the street.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »

JimH- agreed- but dont you think that he is finishing on the ground to show how far he can go with the initial tactic- it seems on some of the vidios that he hesitates and then continues with a 2nd or third tactic on the ground-he just as well could complete it when the opponent lands and he drops a knee or strikes with a fist or foot to vulnerable area.

I sure would like to learn from you but distance precludes it-

I am looking forward to Hocks seminar in Maridian-Ill see if I can get some pointers also from "Dawg" on hopkido if he is into it.

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:57:48 PM »

El Lobo Blanco,
I'm looking forward to meeting you at our seminar in March, but Hapkido isn't my thing. Master Carr is ranked in it, but as far as TMA is concerned, I guess I'd be considered a Kempo Karate guy. I currently train in BJJ with Master Carr once or twice a week. These days, I mostly work Hock's material with my training partners, my class and my personal clients.
I agree with JimH 100%. The fight will usually start standing (not always! ;D), and I tend to focus my training on finishing my opponents as quickly as possible along with viable escape strategies against multiple and/or armed opponents. If I am taking my opponent down to the ground, my goal is to remain standing and either finish my opponent or injure him sufficiently to expedite my escape.
So, why do I train in BJJ? (I get asked this all the time!)
1.  My "ground game" is a weak link in my personal defense arsenal. I don't like having holes in my game.
2.  I constantly take what I learn in the dojo and use it against my training partners while they use combative/street tactics against me. It enables me to challenge them more while they get to practice, primarily eye, throat and finger attacks, against a "grappler".
3.  I like to challenge myself to expand my capabilities.

So, although I won't be able to give you any pointers on Hapkido, I'm sure we're going to have a great time at the seminar!

P.S.
For what it's worth: someday, I'd like to train with JimH as well! :D

"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »

WW,
Perhaps the Instructor in the video is giving Varied scenarios and endings
But
The majority of what I have seen indicate he likes the ground and the aspects of BJJ and Judo as on the ground over finishing and getting away.

If an instructor has his students train taking a lock to a point in which the fight COULD be terminated/Finished,yet he then has them continue with the finish being on the ground in a form of submission,the student then will carry the training to the street as taught,in this case they will take it to the ground for submission.

We also train the ground ,(offensive ground),we do not try to go for submission but to impose pain on the attacker as in stand up,in the happen stance we find our way to the ground.

Even though I train in Hapkido I refuse to allow students to take me to the ground as a finish,they can do that to each other or until they get to my level.
To me always allowing yourself to go,or be taken, to the ground develops a mindset of immediate compliance,a mind set and immediate response I do not want to get to.
I did my years as Uke and partner,lol
If a person wants me to end up on the ground they must MAKE me go to the ground.
(just a mental thing I have)

We teach taking the lock to a lock for pain,to subdue if your job ,or need,requires that
but
mostly we teach Finish the conflict as quick and timely as possible with little likely hood the attacker will persue you,or in case you must deal with multiple attackers and try to do so without finding your way to the ground.

WW and Dawg,Thank you for the compliment,much appreciated.

If either of you find yourselves in NYC or if anyone is interested in checking out what we do  just drop by the school I assist teaching at,I am there almost every training night:
2301 Yates Avenue
Bronx, NY 10460 
Tues and Thurs 1900 -2030 hrs
(I am there at 1830 hrs most training nights)
Take the class at NO charge
or
just come by watch,say Hi and or talk about the various applications for the street

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Found a video that is interesting
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »

"Dawg"-great -be there soon-
JimH-Great also-
I appreciate the thoughts from both of you
I think I just try to get what i feel helps me so I am always looking for ways to keep up
(as the age grows)
Sense I dont get into a fight every day and really dont want to as there are no winers when one is sitting in the ER ;D--I really am  into reviewing subjects like body language signals that one will be attacked/how to listen for the tone of the voice of the subject that indicates hw/she is "comming" or will snap--
The physical part of the training is how to overcome when the "Shit" hits the fan-so
I try to keep up with tactics.
I am also weak in the ground game-so its good to practise how to fight on the ground
because like it or not one might find them selves there.
I am a firm beliver in the premise that getting there first will help one on the street-if you wait untill a response is needed after the opponent has started beating you severely
then you are behind the curve and you may not catch up
This action can include -talking them down-so they relax
Hope this all makes sense-again appreciate the input-WW (ELB)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »

WW,
I understand you and agree.
The conflict is the last resort
It means that all the other stuff that should be done before the conflict has failed and the Fight is all we have left,and we best get it done with quick.

I have been watching a show that has come out in NY recently called"Lie to Me"
It is about reading people by facial and body expressions,are they telling you a Lie,are they ready to go off and act out or enter into conflict.
Interesting concepts

Similar to the basics we look for just prior to conflict in an attacker:
Heavier Breathing
Sweats
Complexion going pale
Perhaps acting out or flexing/puffing up to look bigger (like apes and animals)
Eyes narrowing to target
Clenched fist

Doing Police or Security type working and being able to talk to a potential fighter and calming them down is a whole lot easier,though perhaps more time consuming, than going physical,especially as we get older.

Training the physical is great
Training the other aspects to negate the conflict are also needed.

Being aware of a potential problem and stopping it before it kicks off is best all around.

Keep up all that you do WW as you are looking in the right directions.

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:05:36 PM »

I have been watching a show that has come out in NY recently called"Lie to Me"
It is about reading people by facial and body expressions,are they telling you a Lie,are they ready to go off and act out or enter into conflict.
Interesting concepts

That's my new "favorite" show! I love the way they use pictures of facial expressions from different celebrities to make their point on a particular emotion being displayed by the subject they're interviewing. Cool stuff!

Similar to the basics we look for just prior to conflict in an attacker:
Heavier Breathing
Sweats
Complexion going pale
Perhaps acting out or flexing/puffing up to look bigger (like apes and animals)
Eyes narrowing to target
Clenched fist

All good stuff to be aware of. I try to make it a habit to scan for weapon "printing", or just primary weapon carry points on folks as well. Actually noticed a guy in one of our local pizza parlors whose shirt had rode up a little and had left his holster and weapon exposed on his rear hip. Nothing exciting happened, but a little awareness of your surroundings never hurts, just in case.

I also had a fella exhibiting almost all of the above physical characteristics at our local "Auto Zone." He was giving one of the clerks a terrible time and was really upsetting some of the customers when he and I made eye contact. Although I was prepared to be physical, I just talked to him calmly and attended to my business. Kind of a long story, so to make it short, he left without incident. Funny thing was, he never did relax his physical stance or countenance. He just quit yelling profanities at everyone. Kind of weird, huh?

Anyway, being prepared to put a whuppin' on someone doesn't mean you have to at every opportunity. Avoidance, deescalation, verbal communication, and threat assessment are all valueable skills that belong in every toolbox, IMHO. :o

That's right; I have one or two opinions that appear to be humble, from time to time.
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 06:10:39 AM »

JimH- thanks for the encouragment
Dawg-it appears that the guy that was in the auto zone probably is like that all the time-probably walks around with this point of view that he is in charge and others are not-pobably thinks he is "right "all the time.

We have a fellow worker that acts that way most of the time-when something occurs that is against what he preceives is the right way to do it and it is brought up he flies off the handle. Looks like the same principle you discribed in the store auto zone.

If it was possible this guys profile wold show he has had problems before.

It is probably true that this guy jumps before he looks at the situation and for what ever reason feels that screaming is the way to take over .

Probably good that you were locked and loaded so to speak and attack if it had escalated.

As JimH was talking about the best way possible is to defuse the situation and keep on going without resorting to physical violence.

Appreciate to both responses-it is more to review and add to my tool box

WW (ELB)

Edgedweapons

• Forum Member
    • Self Defense Knives
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 04:47:54 AM »

I skip the high kicks as they just dont work for me so i ignore them

I think its the other way around, high kicks don't work for you BECAUSE you  skip and ignore them. =P

like what Hock said "nothing works all the time but everthing works some time"

JKDish

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 05:03:59 AM »

Ya know-I just walked in on this discussion so I know am way behind on it.

But uhh--Edged, gotta say-you're wrong on this one. WW sounds like he is coming frfom a rather LONG journey of training and absorbing and discarding what does and does not work for HIM. Just saying WW sounds to me like he is NOT some high school teenager who is going to a strip mall dojo and ignoring some techniques cause they seem "too hard", thats one thing.

I know only a FEW people who are athletically gifted and can make high kicks work...but for the most part they are impractical. I learned through trial and error (lots) that if the technique has me raise my leg high, spin or jump-best I ignore it.

I should also mention, to me, a kick any higher then waist level..is a high kick.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 05:47:04 AM »

I love using head kicks!  As long as my opponent is on his back and I am standing.  ;)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

JKDish

• Level 1
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 06:32:51 PM »

LOL Yeah--Ed Parker had the best quote about kicking a guy in the head. Kick him in the knee? Bring his head down?

"Nothing works all the time but everything works sometime" well maybe but- I gotta think with all the things that can work SOMEtime...theres gotta be at least a few that worked-sure--but are they overall a good idea?

There are things that may work in that moment, but overall? BAD idea!

Download