W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 22, 2018, 02:05:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Holster and Tactical Vest Advice  (Read 1906 times)

Ed Giglio

• Level 1
    • Invictus Solutions
Holster and Tactical Vest Advice
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »

Hi all,

for work reasons I am in need to buy some kit and I needed advice from the experienced amongst you.

I need a holster for a Glock 17 & 19. Actually I would need one concealable and one overt (maybe drop-leg)

I also need a tactical vest (preferably I need a dump pouch and has to have mag pouches for AK-74 and Beretta 70/90 Rifle Mags)

Just wanted to know which are the best makes from operational experience as there seem to be a shitload out there but cant quite discern which are good and which are only backed up by good marketing.

Also I wanted to know in the overt role if a drop-leg holster would be better replaced by having a tactical vest with a cross-draw holster on it...just doing some drills and getting the fucking gun out of the thigh holster in the seated position is a bitch!

Let me know what makes and models are best.

Thx all,

Ciao,

Ed

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
Re: Holster and Tactical Vest Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »

The problem with this stuff mate is it's like cars, restaurants and movies...everyone's got their favorites...and what works for one will be a goatfuck for another.

Having said that the best concealable holster for a Glock that I've found (and MOST pros agree with) is an inside the waist band.  Stay clear of the cheap stuff...I've had the best luck with Galco and De Santis.

Next re an overt one...I've actually gone with a paddle.  Now, most tier one guys eschew paddle holsters because in the old days you pulled on the gat and the holster came with it.  I have an updated version and that sucker is not coming out unless I undo my belt and unzip my jeans - and it's still hard.  The advantage to the paddle is I don't have to mess with gun belts and threading said belt through holster loops and buying jeans with loops big enough for a gun belt etc.  It just slips in no matter what I'm wearing...great piece of kit.

I would avoid kydex stuff like the plague.  Kydex is a little bit like Hock's reference to what works well on a shooting range usually falls apart under force on force.  Kydex does the same.  I went to Southnarc's most excellent ECQ class and he and his assistant had a large box full of destroyed kydex holsters that were torn like putty during the FOF drills over two days.  I also found I could take guns from holsters like candy from a baby when they were in kydex holsters...the leather ones were a lot tougher as the leather tends to bind unless you pull it at just the correct angle.

The cross draw is basically (and remember, it's my opinion [but backed up by irrefutable logic  :)]) hollywood bullshit.  The gun is easy for someone to grab if you're grappling with them as you've presented to them grip first.  It's pointing behind you not down in the ground.  You can't draw it without sweeping a bunch of innocents, it's slower than on the strong side hip etc etc.

Now, for the situation in the car a cross draw isn't bad because your piece isn't under your seat belt...so, now we're back to the paddle holster because you can take it off, stick it on your left side and voila, cross draw for the car.  Yes, it can't be canted and it does necessitate switching back and forth when you get in and out the car but it's not a bad solution all things considering.

I've also been experimenting with an appendix carry which I love given my trashed shoulders make repetition training on the strong side hip a bitch.  (I'm convinced the appendix carry gave me the edge on the aforementioned course when I beat everyone on the speed draw drill - and that included SWAT guys, secret squirrels, cops, military and gun nuts...and I hadn't been on a range doing draws for about eleven years.)

Hope that helps a bit.

Nick
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Ed Giglio

• Level 1
    • Invictus Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 02:28:23 AM »

Hi Nick,

thx for the advice. For the cross-draw I didn't mean the shoulder holster one...that truly is shit and besides just doesn't feel right to me...I meant the cross-draw available on some tactical vests which is located on the chest.

Thx

Ed

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:13:50 AM »

I have one mate...I still think it's crap.

Nick
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »

Ed,

I got a great deal on a Blackhawk vest with a cross draw holster built in, but I don't really like it. The plastic latch thumb break is slow to open and even slower to close - and the pistol falls out immediately if the latch doesn't snap shut, making you look like an idiot on the range if I remember correctly  :-[

I also found that when you transition from carbine to pistol your sling can really get in the way of drawing the pistol. I'm checking the mail daily for the leather Blackhawk inside the waistband holster I ordered. Since my only off-range carry is concealed off-duty (reserves cannot carry a pistol in Minnesota) I will probably only use hip holsters from now on, just to reinforce the motion of drawing the weapon. Just my evolving thoughts...
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

Ed Giglio

• Level 1
    • Invictus Solutions
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »

Hi there rutleddc ,

thx for the info...if it had been a cross-draw vest I would have been going for the Blackhawk one myself.

Thx for all the input guys...I decided to go for a fobus style holster which will fit all the Glock models and an IDF Recon vest which has ample useful pouches.

Ciao

Ed

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »

Ed, 86 the Fobus mate...perhaps the worst excuse for a holster ever invented.

Nick

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »

Try Alessi leather in Niagara Falls NY. I've had some of his gear for 25 years and it's still in great shape. They will make custom order pieces also.
Good Luck
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

EpicThought

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »

For IWB I use a comptac C-T.A.C. It is kydex but I find it to be very comfortable, versatile, and easy to conceal. I can wear it concealed with just a T-shirt over it. For IWB concealed carry I would highly recommend it.

I have a Tactical Taylor vest with a cross draw holster. I'm not sure what I think about the cross draw but I hate the actual holster used. All of the ones I have seen use the same style with the plastic strap and button closure. The rest of the vest is great. It is very durable.

Download