W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 16, 2018, 06:27:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rattan with/without skin  (Read 4327 times)

juszczec

• Level 3
rattan with/without skin
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:12 AM »

Hi folks

I've got a line on some rattan sticks. They're 28" long and I want to use them for Dog Brothers style stick sparring.

I read a reference on the 'net that said you DON'T want to get hit by a piece of rattan with the skin still on.

Yes? No? Opinions? Anyone ever been hit by a skin on piece of rattan? How hard is it to get the skin off a piece of rattan?

Shoulder (rotator cuff surgery in Feb 2009) is doing great.  Strength training starts this week.  I get to his stuff beginning of June.

With any luck I'll make Romeoville in October.

Mark

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: rattan with/without skin
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »

You know...my first, gut reaction to that is...
You dont want to get hit with any stick, "skin" or not.

Under that sort of standard? I never worried much about a stick and its particular skin.

In the Philippines, we did stick sparing with almost no gear and in tank tops, really just because the sessions ended with a little light stick fighting for a moment ot two. NO ONE was tring to win or kill each other at all, as it was just a good way to end some sessions. All the hands involved were pros. And those times were probably the only time I was ever partially bare-skinned while doing that. Every other time in my life I was in layered clothing covered head to toe, helmet, gloves elbow pads, etc.

It also is not sinful to practice with soft sticks. I don't have to be hit by a bullet to know its sucks to be shot. And I don't have to be hit with a real stick to know that sucks too. Once in a while its okay to fool around with....but, if you have any intelligence you can combine the experience of some rare real stick sparring in with some regular soft stick sparring and get a good handle on the reality.

You just get to an age where you can't be hit by sticks with any regularity.
As I got older I lost the macho mystique of all that.

Be careful of you shoulder. I know a guy that got hit by a real stick in his left elbow and the subsequent, violent movement he did, threw out his right shoulder!

Hock

Crafty

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »

Take care progession if you really want to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXO_FJQIWk i do only but only technique sparring at the same pace with a trust worthy sparring partner my brother  :-\

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:57:08 PM »

Under that sort of standard? I never worried much about a stick and its particular skin.

Hockey helmet, hockey gloves elbow pads, knee pads and cup.

Targets are head, hands and upper thigh.

In the Philippines, we did stick sparing with almost no gear and in tank tops, really just because the sessions ended with a little light stick fighting for a moment ot two. NO ONE was tring to win or kill each other at all, as it was just a good way to end some sessions. All the hands involved were pros. And those times were probably the only time I was ever partially bare-skinned while doing that. Every other time in my life I was in layered clothing covered head to toe, helmet, gloves elbow pads, etc.

Wow.  Me and my students put on helmets & gloves whenever we do any kind of stick work that isn't solo in the air or on the bag. 

It also is not sinful to practice with soft sticks.

I'm not saying it is.  I'm not saying this is for everyone; heck, I'm not even saying its all that bright. 

However, I've done it before and got something out of it.  I wish to continue.  So do a few of my training partners.

I can tell others of my training partners want nothing to do with it - despite the protective gear.  No problem.  The can spar with eye protection and soft sticks.

As I got older I lost the macho mystique of all that.

This isn't about being macho. 

Be careful of you shoulder.

Have no fear.  I'm about 6 weeks away from completing the strengthening phase of rehab and any kind of sparring is AT LEAST 8 weeks away.  The PT has explained the types of movement I should avoid given my particular injury.    I'll explain them to my sparring partners and we'll take it from there.

Thank you for the advice and concern.  I really appreciate it.

Mark

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »

Take care progession if you really want to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXO_FJQIWk i do only but only technique sparring at the same pace with a trust worthy sparring partner my brother  :-\

See my answer to Hock.

Hockey helmet, hockey gloves, elbow pads, knee pads and cup.

The only time me or any of my training partners train wearing what's shown in the clip is doing solo drilling in the air or on the heavy bag.  Any time 2 people train together with sticks they put on protective gear.

I really appreciate your concern.  I've trained with these guys before and, yes they are trustworthy.  A little nutty (lets spar with sticks) but not stupid (Me smash!) 

Mark

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »

WEKAF helmet.
WEKAF chest armor
Lacross gloves on hand

Guts, and bruises.

LOTS of FUN.

SKIN ON STICKS.   I'll break the skinless ones in about 5 minutes.  Close the nodes are the better.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »

That cut on the clip is minor.    Suck it up and let's fight.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Download