W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 16, 2018, 07:00:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jeff Cooper (any more need to be said?)  (Read 2227 times)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Jeff Cooper (any more need to be said?)
« on: September 29, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »

Here's a comment from Jeff Cooper about "Getting Home":

"It seems to us that far too much attention is paid by the media to getting home. The object of war is not to get home, or we would not have gone to war in the first place. The object of war is victory, and the sooner you win the sooner you get home. In my various wars I certainly treasured the prospect of seeing home again, but I and those with me felt that the way home was made through the enemy's destruction. I was told by my first commanding officer (who was a very great Marine indeed), that the greatest thrill known to man is the sight of the back of a fleeing enemy. To repeat: Getting home is not the object of the exercise. Destroying the enemy is."

It's a interesting point that seems to be lost in the arguments currently....

Jeff

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Roger Lewis

• Forum Member
    • Ranger JuJitsu
Re: Jeff Cooper (any more need to be said?)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 03:35:22 AM »

I’m a new poster but here’s my 2 cents FWIW.

As one who just spent 15 months over there, I can say that the quote by Jeff Cooper is right on target, its not about getting home, its about finishing the job, accomplishing your mission, any thing less is failure or just giving lip service to the war on terrorism.  All this media hype about Joe dying to come home is crap, even after our one year was up and my Regiment got extended for 3 more months, we didn’t bitch or complain (at least to the outside world). We knew we had a job to do, hell 15 months is nothing compared to the vets that have fought in previous wars like WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam, those guys are the real hero's in my book.  The whole time I was other there I could never figure out who the hell asked the hippy media to be our spokesman, it sure wasn’t the guys fighting I can tell you that.

Lew
A TRP 1/2 ACR
“Only through education and training do we gain strength as warriors”

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 10:43:33 PM »

I’m a new poster but here’s my 2 cents FWIW.

As one who just spent 15 months over there, I can say that the quote by Jeff Cooper is right on target, its not about getting home, its about finishing the job, accomplishing your mission, any thing less is failure or just giving lip service to the war on terrorism.  All this media hype about Joe dying to come home is crap, even after our one year was up and my Regiment got extended for 3 more months, we didn’t bitch or complain (at least to the outside world). We knew we had a job to do, hell 15 months is nothing compared to the vets that have fought in previous wars like WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam, those guys are the real hero's in my book.  The whole time I was other there I could never figure out who the hell asked the hippy media to be our spokesman, it sure wasn’t the guys fighting I can tell you that.

Lew
A TRP 1/2 ACR

Welcome to the forum!   Thanks for your service!   
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Rawhide

• Level 3
  • Nothing more dangerous than a Marine & His rifle
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 01:11:40 AM »

I concur.  Mr. Cooper has it right on the money.  Any Jarhead (or other soldier/sailor) worth his salt wants to accomplish his mission.

The Marine rifle squad's standing order is to :"Seek out, close with and destroy the enemy."  First thing a Marine learns in bootcamp after getting his head shaved bald (MAN, I looked stupid!  With only a slight improvement with hair!) :P

Thats what we trained for and thats why the world fears a Marine and his rifle 'cause he's gonna use it!  Did I plug the Marines enough here? ;D  This also includes those glorious fighting units of the SEALs, Rangers and Force Reconnaissance groups in the various services, of course!
Cheat in the beginning, cheat in the end, cheat in middle...

www.dallascqc.com

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 05:55:32 AM »

"Redux"

Hock

Download