W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 17, 2018, 02:41:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thoughts on Back up and concealed carry  (Read 7205 times)

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
Thoughts on Back up and concealed carry
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:29:33 PM »

Now that I am a certified and sworn officer of the great State of Texas.  I am looking to carry both off duty and utiize a back up.  Ideally the backup/concealed would be the same - but that may be a stretch.  I am indifferent to semi-autos or wheel guns (kinda have a hankering for a wheel gun - I have no idea why, just like the idea...)

An suggestions ideas?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 05:43:07 AM by Hock »
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Canuk

• Level 4
Re: Thoughts on Back up and cocealed carry
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:04:13 AM »

No mouse guns

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:07:51 AM »

I recommend  a Clint Eastwood special-44 Mag with pearl handles-WW (ELB)

Eddie Gilbert

• Level 1
  • Member of the Cynicism Society - Yeah... right.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »

I always carried a S&W .38 Chief's Special as a backup (and off-duty) weapon until Cleveland PD switched out our S&W 9 mm's for the Glocks.

They let us buy our old S&W 9 mm's for a hundred bucks, so now I use my old S&W 9 mm as an off-duty and my S&W .38 Chief's Special as an on-duty backup weapon (along with 3 knives and 2 extra handcuff keys... one in my front shirt pocket and one duct-taped inside my duty belt in the small of my back... If you're not that paranoid yet, no worries!... You WILL be!).

Some folks don't like the Chief's Special because they say it's too small and only a five shot revolver, but you can hide that puppy on yourself in some places that a full size weapon would stick out like a sore thumb. We're only allowed one on-duty backup firearm, so I've opted for the "SURPRISE, asshole... Have A Nice Day!" tool of choice.

Bottom line... it's a personal decision whether you want a hard-to-hide full-size firearm or something that lends itself to, shall we say, "stealth-mode?". I prefer to have something that will allow me to "surprise" the bad guy(s) if I find myself in a SHTF situation (besides, we're already carrying enough heavy shit around without adding the weight of some kind of "personal bazooka"!).

Just my $0.02 . Hey, what can I say... I'm old-school.  ;D Take it for what it's worth.
"If I wanted public recognition, I'd join the friggin' Rotary Club!" - Eddie Gilbert

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:47:14 AM »

seriously i liked eddies answer-WW (ELB)

hessian1

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »

grlaun,

Welcome to the wild and wooly world of law enforcement.  Does your department have any policies on any of this?  If they do it my refine or hinder your decisions.  I personally go with the combo of largest caliber weapon I can successfully conceal for off duty. Normally Glock 23 or Para Ord P-12.
       While I am proud to be LEO I don't generally walk around in attire that advertises it when off duty and this includes carrying a hand cannon that "prints" or shows.  The next thing is make sure you practice drawing and firing from concealment as this can be quite different from your side holster draw. (You've probably hear all this before, but it bears repeating)

Keep safe and train hard/smart, Mark H
Keep safe and train hard,  Mark H

Eddie Gilbert

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »

I don't know,  whitewolf...

You've got me thinkin' about that "Clint Eastwood special-44 Mag with pearl handles"...

hmmmmmmmm  ::)
"If I wanted public recognition, I'd join the friggin' Rotary Club!" - Eddie Gilbert

redfive

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »

Way to go RawHide. Hope you will still retain your Sith Lord title and all. I carry the Glock 22 as primary conceal, and love the Crimson trace laser grips by the way. I carry a Taurus snub nose 357 also with the Crimson trace grips. Its fits in your back pocket or inseam very comfortably. Good power , plus you can mix it up with 38spl. 5 shot hammerless. Double action only. Pull and shoot. Colt and S&W also make the hammerless snubs. They are great. doesn't hang on anything and can even fit in a boot. I have  a mount on my Buell so that I can draw it strait of the frame and nobody can see it . accuracy is still good but its 2 to 2.5 inch barrels on these dudes. Just watch out at night. If you don't hit the perp, you sure will burn them up with the flame they throw. They also offer it in a titanium model. Very light, to light for me. Have had many Taurus autos and they have all sucked, but they make good pistols. But try to look at Colt and S&M and the others rent them shoot them choose one.

Or try the Kel-Tec PRL 16 love mine, you just need a duster to wear with it. Hell of a back up (LOL).

Also may look at the baby Glock. that way you could stay with the same ammo, which I'm guessing  is 40s&w. They are pretty comfortable too.

Stay safe, Redfive

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »

I like the .44 option wolfie!  I am trying to work on my raspy voice "Go ahead punk...make my day..."

I'll look into the old school stuff Eddie.  I like that stuff, too.

hmmm, like the para hessian1. 

ah!  the elusive redfive!  I PAGED you dude - call me sometime, got a few questions...

Can;t carry taurus' for whatever reason, I may also go with the snubnosed Springfield .40 that way rounds are interchangable...
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 01:33:13 AM »

Grlaun- wish u luck out on the street-although i was not  sworn PO  i was a certified private PO for the city of NY and also  the same for the 16th district in Phil. (long time ago)- i had conceled permit for Phil.
I was advised a lot of times not to let anyone know I had  a weapon and always had it well conceled-
be careful in public-
WW (ELB)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 05:42:51 AM »

Since the 1970s I have carried EVERY kind of back up gun. 25s, 32s, 38s, 9s, 45. Revolvers. Semi autos.

Always had a BIG gun in the car for back-up to the back-up.

Cops can get scientific and vocal about all this.
All cops say they carry back-up but they all really can't / don't all the time.
Its secret gamble.
Its a lifestyle choice. Its a very personal and secret choice. 

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Thoughts on Back up and concealed carry
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 08:09:07 AM »

Excellent answer-WW )ELB)

Eddie Gilbert

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »

I DEFINITELY agree with Hock on the...

"Always had a BIG gun in the car for back-up to the back-up."

thing.

You can never have enough "margin of safety" tools.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »

When I am dressed in resplendent purple and looking "smashing" as Mrs. Rawhide would say, I carry a custom Colt officers model in 45 acp. Car gun is the ugliest ( even Uglier that Uncle Nicky) Hi Point in 45 acp. fires every single time no matter what is fed to it. Concealed carry is a amt in 45 acp. 6 shot double action only, no sights, but the great big hole in the end of a small gun gets your attention.. Trunk gun is a Stoeger double barrel in 12 guage with 3 inch magnums with #4 turkey loads.
Now pay attention kiddies as to the size of the bullet.
But as a wheel gun, I use a S&W combat special in 357 magnum. Witht he stock wood "concealment grips" shooting it with full house loads, is like hitting yourself in the hand with a piece of 1/2 inch rebar. And holy shit is it loud!
Just my 35.725 cents
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »

No such thing as a back up gun in Canada

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »

Canuck- in all seriousness- how many POs carry a backup and just dont tell anyone-?
One would be crazy to not use all at his /her disposal-stay safe WW (ELB)

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »

Personally, I can't think of one person that carry's a back up. If they did they wouldnt say anyways. They would face charges under the Criminal Code and the Police Service Act. No off duty carry allowed either

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »

As far as i am concerned-bad rule for the good guys-stay safe  WW (ELB)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »

When I am dressed in resplendent purple and looking "smashing" as Mrs. Rawhide would say, I carry a custom Colt officers model in 45 acp. Car gun is the ugliest ( even Uglier that Uncle Nicky) Hi Point in 45 acp. fires every single time no matter what is fed to it. Concealed carry is a amt in 45 acp. 6 shot double action only, no sights, but the great big hole in the end of a small gun gets your attention.. Trunk gun is a Stoeger double barrel in 12 guage with 3 inch magnums with #4 turkey loads.
Now pay attention kiddies as to the size of the bullet.
But as a wheel gun, I use a S&W combat special in 357 magnum. Witht he stock wood "concealment grips" shooting it with full house loads, is like hitting yourself in the hand with a piece of 1/2 inch rebar. And holy shit is it loud!
Just my 35.725 cents

THis is scary that we think so much alike:

CC:  Kimber ultra carry (stainless) (.45acp)

or
Bond arms derringer  (.45LC)

Truck gun is a Remington coach gun #4s: 

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Download