W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 23, 2018, 11:11:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: throws/takedows  (Read 1821 times)

juszczec

• Level 3
throws/takedows
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:41 AM »

Hi folks

I tore the muscles in my lower back doing judo a long time ago.  As a result, a large percentage of judo throws are off limits.  Anything where I've grabbed ahold of someone, drawn them into me, turned my back towards them and lean forward to take them down (imagine hip throw and shoulder throw) is just waaaaaaaay to risky for me to do full speed .

Soooooo, I've got a little short list of methods for making someone hit the ground that protect my back:

drop shoulder throw - same as standing shoulder throw only you drop to your knees

single leg - variations include driving the shoulder into the knee or shin

major outer reap

tilt the head back and twist

foot sweeps

I've started experimenting with catching a single, lifting the leg up off the ground and then driving them at a 45 degree angle to push their weight back over their supporting leg.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Mark

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: throws/takedows
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »

Morning-sounds like you are using some of the old catch wrestling type moves which you are talking about , should help keep the strain off  your back-people i have been associated with dont recommend turning your back at any time in a self defense situation-too many varibles where the opponent goes for your throat/eyes/etc while you are trying to throw him-good luck- WW (ELB)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »

Some more info-look up the name Tony Cecchine-catch as catch can wrestling
Frank Gotch also
learn to be as brutal as possible
not score points but do self defense
let me knoiw what you think  WW (ELB)

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:35 AM »

Morning-sounds like you are using some of the old catch wrestling type moves which you are talking about ,

After I shredded my back I went looking for throws/takedowns that were easy on my back - I didn't care where they came from.  So, yeah there's some wrestling in there.

It kind of dawned on me that wrestling expertise is EASY to come by in the US and I'd be a fool to not look at it.

should help keep the strain off  your back-people i have been associated with dont recommend turning your back at any time in a self defense situation-too many varibles where the opponent goes for your throat/eyes/etc while you are trying to throw him-good luck- WW (ELB)

I know my skill level with non striking stuff like throwing and the only way I'm going to make anything work is to beat them to the point where they're falling down anyway, and then just help it along.

Thanks for the Cecchine and Gotch references.  I'll check them out.

Mark

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »

Jeez.
Avoid wrestling.
Cecchine and Gotch are muscle-bound brutes
BAD survival muscle memory and too much muscle and strength involved. Remember they function off of weight classes and categories. Usually, big guys beat little guys.

Talk about screwing up your back!
I rather see you "thai-boxing-ish stuff" to stun or TKO the opponent and trips.
It is hard to not use you back in a fight, no matter what you do.

Hock

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:56:10 AM by Hock »

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »

As a not-so-big-guy, I can attest to that!  Stick to head twists, bent arm tkdns, and the like after lightning strikes to eyes or throat or groin in my humble opinion. What works for me when I am at a 4 to 6 inch disadvantage is mobility and countering.  The only throw that I can say I've used effectively with that disadvantage is a tornado throw, but I let go once they are near landing.

An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

Download