W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 23, 2018, 04:50:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High and low, knife and empty hand  (Read 3031 times)

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
High and low, knife and empty hand
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:50:38 AM »

I have a couple of questions on for the folks on here.  I have been training Hock's material for about a year now, on my own, in addition to attending a seminar in September, 04.  Hock always says that the empty hand should be up in the "windo of combat", to push, pull, or strike.  Well, I have been training the 12 angles from level 4 on my own, practicing against a heavy bag.  One of the things I remembered from previous training, mostly unarmed, is that you should always work high and low.  So, what I started doing is this.  When my knife strikes on a high angle, like 1,2,6, or 7, I strike low with my fist, right in the solar plexus area.  Then, when my knife goes low, like in 3, 4, or 5, I strike high into the face with a palm, a slap, an eye gouge, or a forearm smash.  My qustion is, does this sound like a viable tactic for use in a fight?  Also, can anyone think of any improvements or tweaks they would make?  Really interested to hear a reply.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

harvey

• Level 1
Re: High and low, knife and empty hand
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 04:30:07 PM »

yes this is a viable tactic. To make more interesting it doesnt have to be high and low it can be every conbination you can think of using the knife with everything you have in your arsenal. Not so methodical. Fight with everything kicks, punches, knees, etc.  Also you can have someone attack you from behind or from the side while you are attacking the bag. This will definately make it more interesting. Also check out the spartan combat modual level 4 of  hocks  knife course.

(Level 4)

Create your own paradigm.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 12:00:31 AM by harvey »

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:30:47 PM »

I have a couple of questions on for the folks on here.  I have been training Hock's material for about a year now, on my own, in addition to attending a seminar in September, 04.  Hock always says that the empty hand should be up in the "windo of combat", to push, pull, or strike.  Well, I have been training the 12 angles from level 4 on my own, practicing against a heavy bag.  One of the things I remembered from previous training, mostly unarmed, is that you should always work high and low.  So, what I started doing is this.  When my knife strikes on a high angle, like 1,2,6, or 7, I strike low with my fist, right in the solar plexus area.  Then, when my knife goes low, like in 3, 4, or 5, I strike high into the face with a palm, a slap, an eye gouge, or a forearm smash.  My qustion is, does this sound like a viable tactic for use in a fight?  Also, can anyone think of any improvements or tweaks they would make?  Really interested to hear a reply.

Kent

Kent,

For solo training, this seems to work well and it trains you to keep your secondary hand busy.   

"Pretend" to grab, snatch, disarm, redirect, deflect, block with the secondary hand also - these are also "a viable tactic for use in a fight".  These works better with a more live dummy....a partner will fill this role...

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 03:33:23 PM »

these are also "a viable tactic for use in a fight". 

Are you making fun of me by chance?  At any rate, you give good ideas about push and pull, I just need to find a guinea pig...I mean training dummy...Er...training partner who doesn't mind being manhandled a little.  I do also do the kicks and stuff, but I have only limited resources, like one heavy bag, so I am limited on my options to kick with.  Again, thanks for the tips.

Kent

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 06:43:17 PM »

Are you making fun of me by chance?  At any rate, you give good ideas about push and pull, I just need to find a guinea pig...I mean training dummy...Er...training partner who doesn't mind being manhandled a little.  I do also do the kicks and stuff, but I have only limited resources, like one heavy bag, so I am limited on my options to kick with.  Again, thanks for the tips.

Kent

Kent, 

No fun intended.    I personally prefer that folks use very aggressive defensive tactic wth their secondary hand.   

The problem with punching at the same time with the other hand is that is it can get in the way of the power of the primary weapon - some people can overcome this problem -- most can't   

I personally want to strike them, keep them and stop the attack.

Thus, my response:  "Pretend" to grab, snatch, disarm, redirect, deflect, block with the secondary hand.....These were just some other things to try.

Another reason that is I'm against the doubling up (and that it works well with the bag) is that it tends to ignore that the opponent has the opportunity to attack while you are attacking.   Very seldom to we get to "double attack" in different situations.   

We seldom (realistically) see double attacks in the "freestyle" combat scenerios.   Thus the tendency to suggest training less with your techniques and more with those that I mentioned above.....why?   We OFTEN see the techniques that I mentioned in my response.

.....again, just my observations...not fun intended.

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 01:20:04 AM »

Kent

Kent, 

No fun intended.    I personally prefer that folks use very aggressive defensive tactic wth their secondary hand.   

The problem with punching at the same time with the other hand is that is it can get in the way of the power of the primary weapon - some people can overcome this problem -- most can't   

I personally want to strike them, keep them and stop the attack.

Thus, my response:  "Pretend" to grab, snatch, disarm, redirect, deflect, block with the secondary hand.....These were just some other things to try.

Another reason that is I'm against the doubling up (and that it works well with the bag) is that it tends to ignore that the opponent has the opportunity to attack while you are attacking.   Very seldom to we get to "double attack" in different situations.   

We seldom (realistically) see double attacks in the "freestyle" combat scenerios.   Thus the tendency to suggest training less with your techniques and more with those that I mentioned above.....why?   We OFTEN see the techniques that I mentioned in my response.

.....again, just my observations...not fun intended.

I guess I was trying to fun you a little bit, but it didn't seem to work. ;)  I see your point about double attacks vs. attack and defend.  I was not talking about simultaneous strikes, however.  I'm not sure if I gave that impression, but it seems that I might have.  I was more thinking about a knife and empty hand strike in rapid succession.  Still, it doesn't seem like it would make to much difference, because if you are attacking, you can't defend that well.  I also see your point about grabbing, pulling, pushing etc., that does seem like a quicker way to end the fight.  I have started practicing striking with my empty hand, and transitioning to a clinch of some sort.  It seems to work, but I notice I get so caught up in striking that I have to remind myself to clinch with my empty hand.  Incidentally, I can never remember.  The empty hand is also called the "live hand", right?  Thanks for the input, and observations, Professor.

Kent

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 03:21:38 PM »

The empty hand is also called the "live hand", right?  Thanks for the input, and observations, Professor.

Kent

Live hand,  waiting hand, killing hand....doesn't really matter as long as it get time too.....

Your momma wears.....   (now that's funnin' with 'ya).     ;D

Download