W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 21, 2018, 11:20:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: assesment and question on various instruction  (Read 4058 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
assesment and question on various instruction
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »

All knife trainers= first of all i am a novice at knife fighting as i have just this year started to learn defenses.

Lets just discuss a stright stab to victim.
I have read about the instructor who gets out of the way and blocks with opposite forearm ,then grabs wrist with other hand and then chops to throat with the blocking hand

Next one blocks with both forearms ,grabs wrist with left and punches with right to face

Next one evades and charges in grabing chin with right and with left grabs behind head and twists driving through.

my question is: practise the various styles or pick what is best for you.

Reolizing that murphys law is here and anything can occcur in a fight....

and yes when i return i will be taking more of Hocks knife gun and stick seminars,plus practise my spoeed of light-hehehe

WW (ELB)    "Speed of light"

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Re: assesment and question on various instruction
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »

You're slipping Wolfie.  You didn't actually ask a question.  So what is your question?

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »

Joe- 5th papragraph down is the question

and yes I know i am slipping but i am trying to hold on to the cliffs edge and not go over

WW (ELB)
"Speed of light"

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »

You might have to practice the various styles at least a little bit to be able to pick the one that is best for you.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 12:34:59 PM »

Hmmm, i think like everything your response would be relevant to the situation you find yourself in and your physical and mental position in that situation. Did he attack face to face? how much distance do you have? did he attack at an angle to you? are you left or right handed (its why we practice both sides right)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

Thanks- guys- makes sense so  far-WW (ELB)
"speed of light"

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »

Just kidding with you Wolfie.  Forget about thinking in "styles".  Instead think "situational" and "positional".  What also becomes subheading are the difference between a static threat and a dynamic attack.  Then start going through Hock's Unarmed vs. the Knife drills.  Again, this will demand that crowbar of yours to pry that wallet open once again, but I guarantee you won't regret it.  It is through this kind of study that you will start to discover your own stuff.

http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product256.html

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »

Joe- thanks- in reality i am a lttle tired out past couple days-our napal guard force at  one of our locations has beeen threatened by some local young thugs-they have been throwing rocks/pipes and brandishing knifes at them-so i had to stay at location extra time-no injuries so far.

to get back to topic- good info- i always thought that the situation one is in will
be a dominent factor on the fight envolved- this goes with knife tactics.

As i get moe into this i hope I will find the best for me-ill work on getting Hocks material
going back to the location and insure day shift is ok.

WW (ELB)
"speed of light"

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »

OK-I climbed back off the edge of the cliff-to continue- I just received  Oct 09 BB- in it is a article by Mr Michael Janich- in it is shown various tactics to combat a knife-sense as i said i am a novice the question now is-i count sometimes 5-6 seperate moves he uses to disarm the knife-which i see takes seconds to complete-i.e  -against a low line thrust it shows 8 seperate movements to complete  the disarm- and while completing the movements he does not move forward driving the attacker off balance-is this a rational series of movements -i am not knocking Mr Janich just curious guys-

WW (ELB)
"speed of light"

jmech

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »

The thing with techniques in magazine articles and books is that you have to remember they are staged to help the reader see the "technique" clearly in small photo.  Best is to examine the dynamics of the technique shown, then when you practice it, add some realistic "flavor" to it before judging its effectiveness.

Joe
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 08:07:48 AM »

Joe- that makes sense-another thing that i am thinking about sense getting more into defenses against a knife is this, and-- Ill have to take some more courses to actually see though.More with Hock and the gang will help...........

In a real alterction against a crazed opponent with a knife does the "martial arts"
techniques to grab the wrist-and throw the opponent - shown in a dojo -actually stop the knife attack.

It appears that the way to train is to evade ,block/hold the knife arm while  striking at the eyes,face area while driving through the enemy.

Comments please

WW (ELB)="sped of light"

jmech

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »

"In a real alterction against a crazed opponent with a knife does the "martial arts"
techniques to grab the wrist-and throw the opponent - shown in a dojo -actually stop the knife attack."

It can. Especially if you...

"evade ,block/hold the knife arm while  striking at the eyes,face area while driving through the enemy."

...first. ;D

Joe
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 04:56:07 AM »

Joe- makes sense to me-it appears that without the attack to eyes/throat/face area that the opponent will not be shocked and will continue to attack.

There fore i wil be narrowing down to responses that envolve doing the above-

will be looking for hocks seminars this year in the eastern US area

thanks guys-WW (ELB)
"speed of light"

Download