W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 19, 2018, 03:11:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Contact Shots - why?  (Read 941 times)

hessian1

• Level 2
Contact Shots - why?
« on: September 17, 2009, 07:00:27 AM »

Recently I've noticed several discussions on other boards as well as articles on the topic of contact shots. Now the methods shown as a way of dealing with making contact shots and preventing the weapon for going out of battery appear to be
usable, but I question the whole concept.  I mean I have done FOF training and ended up with the weapon in close to myself and/or the other guy, but rarely was I not able to
keep the barrel of the assailant which allowed multiple shots without racking the slide
manually.

The two methods I've seen are as follows:

1) Use one hand to operate the weapon with the second used as support for the slide
       to either force it back into battery or maintain the slide in the proper position which
       basically means one shot and then you will need to work the slide to cycle.

2)  Use the thumb of the firing hand to force the slide forward and or maintain it in
         firing position. The author did advocate wrapping the majority of the thumb up
         behind the slide and the tip on the top of the slide. (This one sounds like it could
         be a little painful) Also, this one would also require manually raking the slide after
         wards.

Now these to me shows that in close the old wheel gun has an advantage and that this is a last ditch situation, but also if things are this tight (absolutely no room to clear the barrel) how inclined will I be to pull the trigger knowing that I have no idea where the bullet is going to end up (Hock talks about this in one of his articles) and with the dynamics of the fight I may end up shooting myself or taking the weapon of line as a firearm until I can tap and rack.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  I think a lot of "contact shots" don't need to be if the person just beats  the urge to push the gun into the assailant under stress.

Keep safe and train hard/smart,  Mark H

Keep safe and train hard,  Mark H

Download