W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 23, 2018, 03:11:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Progressive Resistance?  (Read 3245 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Progressive Resistance?
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »

Progressive resistance?  Any thoughts on this?

Check out my blog on this subject:
http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Comments? Discussion?

Joe
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:35:32 AM by Hock »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Canuk

• Level 4
Re: Progressive Resistance?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »

Some good points Joe.

It difficult "to replicate the conditions of an authentic street fight" since:

1. often times you dont know your in a fight until you are hit because you have been ambushed/sucker punched/stab/shot/clubed/bit/kicked

2. To replicate those conditions you would have to be ambushed/sucker punched/stab/shot/clubed/bit/kicked

Unless of course there is an esculation of events that you are aware of or become aware of, only then could plan for over coming resistance

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »

Exactly, you are not in control of:

- Who will be involved, one or many?
- What will be the delivery system: argument, ambush, direct conflict?
- When the conflict will take place?
- Where it will take place, from macro (location) to micro (positional)
- How will you be attacked?
- Why this has happened?

All of these things are attempted to be replicated in training, but it will never be the real thing, but...fortune favours the prepared!

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »

I can tell you something that we did, I cant tell you when, where, who , how cause ill get in shit. Anywho we used a simulator, like FATS. There was a pre programed scenario involving a shoot out. One of the wizards wired up a harness with contact points for the leg, arms, chest, back. That was wired into a stimulas response gizmo. Im not sure of the tech side of it but the gist was, if you were "shot" in the scenario it would reigister in the "general area" of where you got "hit" and send an electrical shock to that area. It was enough of a hit to let you know that you had been stung, you could really feel it. The senario kept playing out, until stopped by the instuctor or you died. In other words if you were wounded in the leg you got jolted but still had to keep going. I got hit in the shoulder and my arm went numb, I droped my pistol and had to carry on using my left hand. It was a very interesting experience, shooting with the left, knowing my right arm was usless to me but still having to win the firefight

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »

Makes sense-canuk-do you think this could be applied to a unarmed tactic-i.e. one is hit with abaseball bat on left arm- then he has to continue defending??
WW (ELB) "speed of light"

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:14:09 AM »

I think all things are possible, its just a question of technology and money..I guess.

On the cheap side for H2H you could always strap an arm down so it couldnt be used.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 06:47:54 PM »

That sounds  good will try it- ill bring a old belt and try it out-WW (ELB) "speed of light"

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »

Progressive Resistance Part 2 is up:

http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

It is often left out of resistance debates that it is all about cultivating the attribute of adaptability.

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »

I like these talks on progressive resistance. When I was getting my Degree in Sports Science this was something that a lot of time was spent on. More in the context af atheltic development, but I believe that the concept here is the same, Progressive overload or taking the body to its next stage of workout. The rule of thumb (very general here) was that it takes about six weeks for the body to adapt to the program you are working on, this was based on the FITT prinicple. Frequency, Itensisty Time and Type. 

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:00:42 AM »

And just look how Spiff has resisted becoming completely irrelevant, just being satisfied with being a liberal moron.
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Brian S

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 07:15:01 AM »

whiewolf el lobo otomy speed of light in Kuwait.

You forgot to counter a nonsense post during a serious discussion.  Again.

::)

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »

"If improvement were gauged only through repetition, then most people would become experts at “getting things wrong” as it takes many more attempts to start “getting things right.”  Therefore adaptation plays a big part in hardwiring successful attempts over failures.     By all means, learn from your mistakes, but then forget about them.  What you want to remember was that feeling of successfully surviving the encounter when you eventually get it right!"

Great advice, Joe! I have a couple of fellas in my class that seem to always focus on the negative. They don't "get it" as quickly as the others, and they're rarely satisfied with their performance. I try to point out to them how much they've improved on whatever we might be working on in class by the end of the session, but they still seem to be focused on their mistakes rather than their victories.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm planning on sharing this little jewel with them tonight before class. Hopefully, it will help them to change their perspective of their performance.

Thanks!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »

Joe/Dawg=agree-i over the  advise students that dont grasp immediately to relax and just go over the tactic and go step by step as they get better do step 1 and 2 then 1 2 and 3 till it is completed-a good example is working with a physically handicapped peson -sitting in a wheel chair changes the complextion a   lot so they should be helped along-another example is a actual rape victim (  i have trained 3 )
again good info from you both-thanks
WW (ELB)   "speed ofm light"

Brian S

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »

Joe/Dawg=agree-i over the  advise students that dont grasp immediately to relax and just go over the tactic and go step by step as they get better do step 1 and 2 then 1 2 and 3 till it is completed-a good example is working with a physically handicapped peson -sitting in a wheel chair changes the complextion a   lot so they should be helped along-another example is a actual rape victim (  i have trained 3 )
again good info from you both-thanks
WW (ELB)   "speed ofm light"

Anyone here got a spell check for the word "of?"

;D

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »

Hi Dawg

No problems, please share with your guys.  Glad you found it helpful.

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Download