Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 22, 2018, 06:44:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Tactical Folder  (Read 19588 times)

seldomseen

• Level 2
Best Tactical Folder
« on: October 23, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »

I did a search and couldn't find this exact topic discussed before, if it has been than I apologize. I've been searching for years for a tactical folder that meets my requirements, but have been unable to find it.

Here it goes...

Must be under $100.00 U.S. dollars
Lightweight ( I have a Cold Steel AK 47 that's like carrying a gun it's so heavy )
Clip must be able to be moved for different pocket carries
One handed operation (many claim this, but are not)
Quality blade (easily sharpened)
Partially serrated
Durable
Relatively slim (doesn't catch on everything that you brush up against)

I appreciate all opinions.

Jason

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Best Tactical Folder
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »

There is a whole section in my new book on this...
http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product391.html

* The clip on the knife must be screw-able into all four corners - which is the more precise way of saying "changing pocket carries." (knife makers can be dense and need this really explained. Also, the military and police often clip their knifes all over their vests and gear, not just pockets.

* The knife must be used as a fighting palm stick when closed, when the person cannot open it under rush and stress. The ends should be exposed on the top and bottom of the hand and the closed blade must be seated into the handle in such a way that it does not hurt your hand when you punch with it. (also a whole section in my book)

* The handle must be of a maximixed texture! To over come blood, sweat and whatever other slippery liquids one encounters. Most folders do not have this texture.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »

Going by your criteria, I'd suggest a Spyderco Endura.  You can get them with a Wave as well.

Going further, I'd suggest that rather than getting partially serrated, to get one serrated and one plain, and set the clips up so you have one for each side.  IMO serrated knives are more for utility than fighting, so the serrated one will probably get a lot of use.

From my experience, the Spyderco opening hole is the most reliable method of opening a knife.  Waves are nice but not necessary.

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »

I would also recommend the Spyderco Waved Endura.  I picked up one with a trainer version as well for $115.00 CDN Dollars.  I carry two and the clip is adjustable to all four corners.
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

seldomseen

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »

Thanks, I will def check that Spyderco out.  My problem is I've bought most of mine off of the internet coz we don't have many knife stores around here (southern Colorado). I bought a Boker a few years back that advertised " quick one handed operation." It showed a picture of a button on the side that appeared to be a "quick release", almost automatic operation.

It actually is a "safety" that has to be depressed before the blade will even release. So, it's a two handed deal. I thought maybe the blade just needed to be worked and eventually it would be able to be flicked open with one hand, but, that isn't the case.

I've got some Cold Steel's, but they are heavy. I've actually had some luck with some cheapos, but eventually they fall apart.

Anyone like any of Kershaw's model's?

Jason

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »

I have the Spyderco Delica wave, love it.  Not the best for using as a kuboton/striker.  However, the Endura's blade is longer than street legal to carry in MI, so it's a no-go for me.  Very easy one-handed opening, both with the hole and the wave that catches on the pant as you pull the knife out--does the work for you, it's open once it's out.

MH

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »

Had a Ken Onion Leek, fast opening, nice knife.  Too smooth handle wise for me and a brittle tip I snapped off in training.
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

seldomseen

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »

Hepcat,

Yeah, I had a CRKT knife blade tip snap on me with just some moderate pressure. Thanks for the input, guys.

Jason

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 09:46:07 AM »

By the way, the Delica Wave's blade is like 2 15/16, keeping it under the typical 3 inch legal limit.  I also like that there's an identical trainer, so once gets used to deployment and use in practice, under pressure.

Of course, Hock's preference for that big, double edged blade is preferred.  But who can carry that to work?  ;D

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »

"Of course, Hock's preference for that big, double edged blade is preferred."

You can't carry it! Its iliegal almost everywhere. Because it is so good. But, You might find some that are...ALMOST...double-edged.

Hock

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 07:15:59 AM »

I love the Cold Steel Voyagers, perfer the large or extra large. the recon is awesome to. If you have not seen the spartan it is a bad knife and fits surprisingly well in your pocket. The new locks on the cold steel knife hold over 600 pounds, and they did for over a week. The blades stay sharp, and can pierce a car door. In my opinon Cold Steel is the best and the only knives i carry

Marc Halleck

seldomseen

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »

Marc,

I do like Cold Steel products. I have the AK-47 and a neck knife. I checked out (online) that Spartan model you suggested, I hadn't seen that one before, that might be a little easier to carry than the AK-47 for sure.

Thanks,
    Jason

metz57

• Level 2
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »

The Benchmade Griptilian 550hg is worth considering. Little wider than the endura but the blade is superb. Pocket clip can be moved to either side but you are limited to a tip up carry. Has a jury friendly name, fills the hand really well and you can get a trainer if you want to go that way. Also has one of the best locks on the market and is comfortable in the hand when closed. If you like the wave feature a zip tie through the hole does the job. 

http://www.benchmade.com/products/550HG

seldomseen

• Level 2
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 08:13:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm likin that Benchmade at 3.2 oz. Nice and lite.

Jason

Kelly Knight

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »

I'd like to throw my hat in with the Spyderco sub-brand, Byrd.

I have a Meadowlark model (all black) that I've used as an ice pick, screwdriver, box opener, to whittle with, hammer nails into the wall and other completely abusive uses. I even cut my dog out of a seatbelt when she got twisted up in. The belt cut like butter.

It still looks brand new, too. Paid under 20 bucks for it about 7 or 8 years ago, I think. It doesn't have the 4-way pocket clip, but there are plenty of Byrd models that do, like the Cara Cara. I don't like the FRN on the Cara Cara as much as I like G-10, but it's still pretty snappy.

Dang it. Now I've got to get one!

Nearly 90% of the people in the Japanese sword club that I train with own and carry Leeks, though. They are a marvelously lovely knife. A little too expensive for me, though.

Kelly Knight

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 05:49:42 AM »

The best one is the one you have in your pocket when you need it most
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 06:28:58 AM »

The best one is the one you have in your pocket when you need it most

Amen to that

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 07:29:24 AM »

I personally carry the Arnold RATDOG 13 with smashing purple grip & spiffy yellow carrying case.  It not only helps you brutally throw down your assailant but sounds out great mp3 recorded lines like:"Times up weenie boy", "Thank Me!" or "You ought to be fed to a land manatee."  In addition, the accessories are really what makes it - a jar of peanut butter, a copy of the Book of Secret Secrets and an Uncle Nicky beanie. If you don't need it to gut someone, it also reconfigures to a nice bicycle bell, back scratcher or turban.

Nothing like it!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:31:16 AM by grlaun »
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

seldomseen

• Level 2
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »

"The best one is the one you have in your pocket when you need it most"

I agree with this, but if the one in your pocket isn't out and opened very quickly (because it's not made to), it's worthless as a self defense tool.

Kelly-

Yeah, I've seen those Spyderco Byrd models in magazines, I'll have to check em' out, Thanks.

Jason

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »

Many Cops up here carry folders in the pocket of thier SBA. Tacteam members tend to carry straight blade on the belt, folder in the vest, "mini" knife on the belt and a mini mini knife in the pocket of their tac pants located at the ankle.

Technically ther ei sno legal limit to the blade you can carry here, single or double edged. Some blades are prohibited, such as flick knives, gravity knives or punch knives. First nation ULU knives are allowed (this is basiclly a punch knife)

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »

The Spiffy yellow carrying case is excellent for attracting sharks in the Bahama's for the Annual Shark Noodling. BS and Bryan are invited. We will use them for bait
Thank me!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Vrkah

• Level 2
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 09:47:53 AM »

ok...here are my suggestions- if you want real quality,get a

• Strider
  • Trident/CrusaderForge
  • Rick Hinder
  • Emerson
  • ..........(insert quality knifemaker here)

hope that helps.

vrkah,Founder,President and allmighty head soke of "I'll fuck you up"-Karate
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bryan

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »

ok...here are my suggestions- if you want real quality,get a

• Strider
  • Trident/CrusaderForge
  • Rick Hinder
  • Emerson
  • ..........(insert quality knifemaker here)

hope that helps.

vrkah,Founder,President and allmighty head soke of "I'll fuck you up"-Karate

Why would you recommend Strider?

metz57

• Level 2
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »

Iíve got an Emerson commander. Doesnít lock up tight, pivot screw comes loose after a few openings, donít trust the lock, crap chisel grind which is almost impossible to re-sharpen and too heavy for what it is. Itís not left the drawer since I bought it. Over priced crap!   

Looks good though.

seldomseen

• Level 2
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »

Damn, too bad about that Emerson, I had seen a few in some magazines that looked to be pretty good tactical knives. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Jason

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 12:52:05 AM »

Clip position-able, flat, lockable, sturdy blade...hmm.

I'd go with SOG series like these
http://www.thebladeshop.com/Blink_and_Twitch_Models_s/415.htm
An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 02:42:06 AM »

I lurk more than I post, but I'll add in my opinion. It's worth what ya paid for it.

My first thought would be the Spyderco Endura w/ the FRN handle. Grippy surface, movable clip, and if you get the wave model it's also a decent bottle opener. VG-10 steel, in my experience, holds its edge quite well and isn't a PITA to sharpen, either.

I know of at least two people who acquired Enduras for about 50-60 dollars and then ground the blade down to meet max legal lengths. Nice jobs, too.

Also, Spyderco makes the Stretch that sells for around 70 or 80 bucks, and it's blade is already 3.5 inches compared w/ the Endura's 4". The handle is shaped a bit differently, but IMHO it looks like it fits the hand quite well. It's the next knife on my gotta-wanna-have list.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »

You can't go wrong with a Spiderco knife.
One shouldn't have to spend over a $100 USDs for a really good knife.

Hock

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

I think we need to refer back to the blade master on all knife related issues guys, i really do. After all anyone in black tac and wearing a mask must know what they are talking about

mickt

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 07:14:53 PM »

I carry a Cold Steel Scimitar, I might not like who make the kinfe, BUT... this knife has a ball at the bottom for striking and the top has 3 points for striking, gauging, pressure locks, it's easy to deploy (wish they made a trainer).  In all I paid $72 for it, it's a nice addition to the spyderco rescue blade I carry,
Pages: [1] 2

Download