W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 18, 2018, 03:53:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Burmese boxing  (Read 2539 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Burmese boxing
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »

While surving you tube i found a vidio by a Mr Phil Dunlap he showed Burmese boxing
-really wicked stuff-dont know anything about him but the pictures of the boxing bouts were pretty good-he stated that all strikes are legal- to groin-back of neck etc-he also stated that a fight consists of a fighter being knocked out -he is given a minute to recover then can go back in again-this goes on 3 times-loser is the one who is knocked out or can not continue.
Mr Dunlap further stated  that  the ring fights are actually preparing for war-i think the burmese tribe is called Kashen( spelling)
Dunlaps style is called Advanced fighting systems
Just for forums info.

WW (ELB)   "speed of light"

Milldog1776

Re: Burmese boxing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:09 AM »

I studied Burmese kickboxing back in my late teens. It was very similar to what you see in the Octagon and MMA now and pre dated all of it. We didn't know it at the time...but we were learning MMA for the street. We did stand up, clinch, and ground fighting, as well as fighting from the ground at a standing opponent. I use a lot of those principles now in my combatives training.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:37:26 AM »

good morning keith-looks like that gave you quite a strong background-all the vidos shown had the loser knocked out-it appears that this style shown is stronger than regular muy thai fighting-all the fighters shown were in top shape and none overweight-stay safe  WW (ELB)
"speed of  light"

Milldog1776

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

There are different "systems" within the Burmese system. All based on animals...kinda like 5 animals kung fu. Each animal has a strength....cobra, boar, etc.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »

Yes- he mentioned that but as i remember he said the animals  mentioned were more in the area of finishing off the enemy -more than fighting like a animal actually does-?????
anyhow vidio was interesting.
WW (ELB)
"speed of light"

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:39:01 AM »

We have trained Burmese Boxing through the Bando System. Very brutal, not many rules. I have books and programs. Dr Gyi hosted many fights in the 70"s and i have the original programs where he is the referee, and lots of his students where in the top of thier classes. There are 9 animal styles, I can get the list. I have only seen a couple of them. for example the python style is thier ground, i will get the rest

marc

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:56:21 AM »

kali- if yo can get some info- very interesting to me-WW (ELB) "speed of l;ight"

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:04:09 AM »

Kelly Knight

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »

I had a Bando student come and study with me for while. He was a from a school in CA. Do I count as one of the cool kids now?

:D

Kelly Knight

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:35:40 PM »

No.
We liked you fine just as you were.

Hock

Kelly Knight

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »

Just like Iron Eyes Cody, a single tear just ran down my face.

Kelly Knight

Bryan

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »

This is from a few years back. Phil seemed like a very straight forward guy and has nothing to do with Dr. Gyi and that bunch of mess.

He spent the last couple years fighting a lawsuit filed by some crazy guy who showed up at his place as a student and wanted to fight a local cop who worked out at his place. He threw the guy and and the guy played the victim and got some fancy lawyer to make Phil's  life hell till it was finally settled in the last few months, Phil won.

http://www.worldwidegrappling.com/grappling/html/modules/vB/showthread.php?s=98c74fdaecc65a2df27f4db46d36cbdc&t=1403

Phils Websites

http://www.thaing.net/

http://www.thaing.net/Asylumhome.html

http://advancedfightingsystems.yuku.com/forums/1/t/AFS-FORUM.html

Download