W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 23, 2018, 03:24:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ben's Muay Thai fight!  (Read 5205 times)

Milldog1776

Ben's Muay Thai fight!
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »

For you guys who know him...my man Ben Cross will be having a full contact Muay Thai fight tomorrow night.

Wish us luck!

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Ben's Muay Thai fight!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:05:01 PM »

May the Wolverine strike and win!

Hock

Adventure

• Level 4
    • Stay Alive Program inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »

When and where?

Milldog1776

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:22:07 AM »

Ben wins! 3rd round knockout...we were behind on all cards and he won in the last three seconds of the last round.

That's my boy!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:39:23 AM »

congradulations- WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »

The Wolverine strikes!
And he didn't need to extend his long silver claws?

Hock

Milldog1776

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »

The Wolverine strikes!
And he didn't need to extend his long silver claws?

Hock

No claws. Just a BIG overhand right to the temple! Dude has the video...maybe I can find a way to post it here?

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »

Maybe put it on you-tube and put a link here?
I have no idea how to attach footage to this webpage

Hock

Milldog1776

Re: Ben's Muay Thai fight! VIDEO FOOTAGE!!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

Here's the Cell Phone Video I got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxUR4A1KC4c

He really had a hard time with this guy's reach the first two rounds...but the third...well you'll see.

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »

Good job Ben, take it to the end then finish em...shows commitment to the fight which outweighed experience! I love underdog fights.

Do it again!
An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 04:16:36 PM »

Saw the vidio today-congradulations to your fighter-couple thoughts if ok.
Start Ben training to jab and cross through the target-it appears he has reached the end of his punch and it is not going through the target untill the 3rd round.
Are elbows and knee strikes allowed-if so he can start using them also.
JMHO -WW (ELB) "speed of light"

Milldog1776

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »

Thanks wolf, but Ben has been kickboxing for about 20 years. I doubt there is much I, you, or anybody else could show him. This guy had about a 5 inch reach advantage...which took him two rounds to figure out. Hence...knockout in the third.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

Keith-it  -was hard to see how much reach advantage the other guy had-again glad that your man figured it out and won-WW

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »

Take off the shin pads Ben!  20 years kickboxing.....you don't need training wheels anymore.   ;)
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Milldog1776

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 03:45:46 AM »

Prior to the fight, the gear was agreed during weigh in. It was agreed by both parties to wear shin gear. When we came out...his opponent was not wearing any. I told Ben to keep them on, because they would help when he checked kicks.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 06:48:21 AM »

Interesting  concept  wearing gear-although from what i have read and from what i have been told by a friend who went to thailand to train their is no shin pads used over there by the fighters-is this a USA thing?
WW (ELB) "speed of light"

Adventure

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 10:01:40 AM »

Just went to a MT seminar from a guy living & training in Thailand he said different. Said that them will use on new people when unsure of their control. The trainer will wear them when the new guy is working on them.

Also said they(Thais) do not kick trees or anything like that; their shins get hard do to the fact they have been kicking bone on bone since they are 6yo.

Just somethings I picked up.

PS - Punching with the fist is also a western invention. They used their elbows a lot more & protected the fist do to the small bone in the hand.

just a different perspective. 

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »

Adventure- good info- as for the elbows- agree the guy who i know who went to train over there instructs in the striking with elbows to every student-i spared with him awhile ago and he ripped my eye brow open using a upper elbow strike that i did not even see till too late.

edude1969

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »

That was sweet!
"Life is tough, it's tougher when your stupid."

John Wayne

edude69

• Level 2
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 11:29:26 PM »

Very nice!
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. 

George Orwell

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 11:48:01 PM »

The Thais were never known in the past to be good boxers (fist-punchers that is) in the 70s and 80s.

That is why newer competition that took to highlight simple boxing skills (oh, and and lead leg hook kicks) along with that hardcore Thai intensity began to stand out over a lot of Thai training. But true MMA training today already replicates that hard core nature. Once that really belonged to Muay Thai! 

For the longest time now, the Dutch have been the go-to Thai-style trainers and champs, but they too have evolved into MMA people.

You won't find a lot of fanatic Thai fans/people agreeing with me on some of these issues, but I believe them, and have been told the same by people that I trust alone the way.

There are many stories of the 70s, 80s and even the 90s about the youth of Thai destroying their shins, and what a short sport life most have from early abuse. The Thai system I was in for many moons did very little actual Thai fighting and a whole, whole lot of pad striking and kicking. At the same time, they would regularly "JKD spar" full out with pads. Its funny, we would actually dress differently and fight differently - like speaking different languages - all on one night!

But, its still fun to mess with that stuff. I hope you have some genuine fun doing it all Adventure. Its cool, you know?

Hock

Bryan

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 02:13:16 AM »

Ring Girl Pic is for Hock,,,,,,,

Shin kicks are a bad deal, thus all the training pads. It kinda goes without saying that if you have to cover your own body part with a pad during striking in a ring sport you may want to think twice about trying that in real time minus the pads. Then again who am I to say, I only spent a week in the hospital for punching a guy in the mouth with my fist.

As far as I know most damage to Thai Boxers is concussion, Lots of stitches, and a few broken bones here and there. Every time I read about pads in the ring I think about that American girl who posts around the net as some kind of Pro Muay Thai Fighter Ultimate Expert when none of her matches allowed Elbows, this was a couple years ago.

Early 2009 in China, Youtube clips are linked on the right,,,,,,,,,

http://www.worldmuaythai.org/tournament-result/wma-gala-january-2009

The Kings Cup is happening right now, I will try to link some clips for you guys,

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:33 AM »

Well here is some more thoughts to discuss: First -I never was in a fight where I tried to kick the leg of a opponent (in the street) with my shin-it just never popped up-
so my questions are-
1-Have you guys ever seen a street fight where one of the opponents actually took out the other with a shin stike to the other?

2-I have observed lots of schools training girls/women to do that type kick- they have shin guards on and kick the bag-what happens when they try that in the street when they are wearing a skirt/heels-carrying a package- or their baby-i think that they are be given a false impression that the particular shin kick will work on a real criminal-of course i am looking at it from a reality perspective-not a sport one.

3-I attempt to instill use of the knee/elbow/palm strikes -no shin strikes at all-
kicks are the "spike type " or use of arch strike to groin or use of outer part of the sole of the shoe as some type side strike (i dont use the word kick)

Adventure

• Level 4
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »

Thanks Hock,

Just trying to keep my Kick boxing skills up to date. And use my elbows.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »

Adventure-good thoughts on the use of the old elbow --to the snozola (nose)-- to you southern fighters... ;D

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »

That was a beautiful finish!!! Rang his Bell!.
Cool.  Nice job. 

G.
-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

Download