W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• December 14, 2018, 10:35:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boxing lessons from a pro  (Read 2721 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Boxing lessons from a pro
« on: November 19, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »

Tonight I took my grandaughter to first boxing lesson at our studio-the instructor
is great-started out with foot work, how to throw a jab cross and a hook-plus exersises to build up stomach and legs.
So the old man( WW) works out and spars also-needless to say i learned a lot all ready-plus had my bell rang a couple times but thats the fight game.(glad i used a mouth piece)
I was shown the way to put power into the punches-works-i am adopting his lesson to my self defense strikes
Also i tied him up a couple times and he showed me how it tires you out doing that.
Plus he showed me how i was pawing when i threw a jab and he corrected that.

What was excellent was working with a pro who brings you along-not acting like he is
the high and mighty-

WW (ELB)  "speed of light"

Canuk

• Level 4
Re: Boxing lessons from a pro
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »

Nice one WW, you gonna share?

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:26 AM »

Tonight I took my grandaughter to first boxing lesson at our studio-the instructor
is great-started out with foot work, how to throw a jab cross and a hook-plus exersises to build up stomach and legs.
So the old man( WW) works out and spars also-needless to say i learned a lot all ready-

There is so much right with the above paragraph I had to repost it.

WW, I think you've posted your age before and IIRC you are about 70.

In 28 years, I'll be 70.  I hope to be climbing INTO A BOXING RING for some SPARRING as well.

I watched my father in law stop living in little bits from his mid 60s till he died.  He didn't put up much of a fuss because "well, that's what happens when you get old"

I though it was bullshit then, I think it is bullshit now and I'm glad to see someone proving its bullshit.

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »

In 28 years, I'll be 70.  I hope to be climbing INTO A BOXING RING for some SPARRING as well.

I watched my father in law stop living in little bits from his mid 60s till he died.  He didn't put up much of a fuss because "well, that's what happens when you get old"

I though it was bullshit then, I think it is bullshit now and I'm glad to see someone proving its bullshit.

Well said! I agree 100%.

I guess I'd better not let my boxing skills get rusty before I see WW again, huh? Uncle Arnie will never let me hear the end of it if Ol' Wolfie puts a whuppin' on me! ;)
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »

"IF"? Ol Wolfie puts a class a can o ass woop on you, "IF"? PLEEEEEEASEEE!
And for those of you that actually care, I have spent many hours in the past boxing. Worked at a small meat market next to my rental home and during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, would spent countless hours "boxing" up sausage and shipping to out to the masses. Can't remember how many hours I spent in the "Ring", smoked polish sausage flying at me from my right, seasonal sausage from my left, breakfast sausage down the middle. Jab, cross, duck, repeat! Then Tape
Once again,
Thank me!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »

canuk=Juz-Dawg-Arnold=guess the secret is never  never give up-
After the bell ringing episode  ;D- i had to teach for a hour- i lasted about 35 minutes and that was that-but today while working I did some mental research and will try some of it out monday evening at class=basically i see that by driving through with a block/punch /step i will get some power that will help with speed  and distance.i.e.
when bursting with a forward stab while other palm hits face area ill see how more effective it will be to actually hit the inner forearm as i go past it.

and i ant no ninja either-  and lastly  Arnold -hey brother beat the hot dogs to death  ;D
WW (ELB)  "speed of, light"

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »

Hey Juz-thought i would also pass this on-One of my mentors who got me in this frame of mind was a green  baret master Sgt who i met at a army school for interrigators-for some readon we hit it off (i was a non combat Sgt USMC) and this guy who was probably close to  60 was a two time  time vietnam vet -going for his third tour-he told me -always try never give up and it improves your chances (or words to that effect)-so i did and next sep its 72 and god willing still will be duking it out in the ring.

WW (ELB "speed of light")

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »

There is so many good lessons to learn from boxing fundamentals. I enjoy working those fundamentals, adding them to my self defense work. Anytime I can pick up tips on honing those skills all the better. A good mix of Boxing, wrestling, muay thai goes a long way.
A people should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of their people- V

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 07:57:42 AM »

Good morning ghost rider-yes a mix of tactics from different styles is good-i try to include boxing strikes -either to softnen up the opponent or at end of tactic to complete the move-

As for my granddaughter-thirsday ev she started actual contact using a head guard for protection-she took a punch to nose but got the instrudtor in the head--talked to the instructor -please be careful-grandaughter is ready for next training session-dont know why she likes this but its better than running the streets and trying drugs- WW

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 11:22:26 PM »

Bought my grand daughter a mouth piece today-Monday is class again- we will see how she does. WW

Download