W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 27, 2018, 12:22:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Blue Baton" Trainer  (Read 4519 times)

markk_556

• Forum Member
"Blue Baton" Trainer
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:34 PM »

So I stumbled across a clip on youtube from ILEETA conference in Chicago. It was on a company from canada. The company was showing for the first time Blue Baton. A training baton that actually collapses and functions like a "live" baton.  They look pretty good, but haven't trained with them. I was wondering if any of you fine people have any experience with them.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: "Blue Baton" Trainer
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »

http://www.bluebaton.ca/

Still have to do that silly thigh strike.

Hock
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:09:32 PM by Hock »

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »

yep...
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

markk_556

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »

Yeah the whole "meat strikes" instead of "protruding surface" strikes isn't the best. Training for Weapon acquisition and attribute development under stress with the "Blue baton" seems viable. Who ever is doing the training can choose target areas. The flexible section seems a little unnecessary if they are "keeping it real". Mass X Acceleration = Force. They focus on the "deceleration", what about using the same design with a solid end section. It looks like its made of a strong plastic. Plastic= Less mass=Less force. Solid construction makes for a more "realistic" design. Couple that with moderate protection and it could make for a good training session. Am i thinking along the right lines? Opinions are appreciated.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »

If its only claim to fame is that it callopses then its a loser, just another fad.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »

I use the training baton from Century.  Not sure if they still do them, but I picked up two several years ago for about $15.00.  I use this baton in my Contract 4 Ground Fighting DVD .

http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product363.html

Excellent piece of training kit!

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »

Surely the big thing is it replicates the 'draw'? If you work with an expandable baton yet train with a rigid one, there are issues. You will likely always have it in your hand, which isn't the case for real. Note in the demo clip when the officer draws the baton. If he left it much later he would be managing the offender with empty hand techniques. If he was training with a rigid baton the baton might already be in hand and thus a very important part of the training is missed. Knowing when to draw and practising drawing under pressure.

I don't share Hock's dislike for the thigh hit, but then I would adjust it to a kneecap if I felt the offender was hopped up enough a heavy thigh strike wouldn't do the business. I do agree that plenty of people would take the thigh strike and keep fighting, even if not drugged up. But for a low risk law suit proof target, it gets the cop swinging and that is a good thing. Note in the demo clip the first two strikes are to the arm. He strikes the thigh when the offender is on the ground trying to rise and the leg is the closest target.

Just as you should practise deploying all weapons, sidearm, MACE, handcuffs and so on, you need to practise the baton draw so it becomes instinctive and efficient under duress. If this item enhances that practise then it is a good thing, surely? It might not be the be all and end all, but it does have merit.
Redcap
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

Download