W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 17, 2018, 02:02:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Danger Indicators  (Read 5937 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Danger Indicators
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:33:35 AM »

Danger Indicators

In general, most people do not instantaneously switch from being a non-violent person into a raging lunatic overnight.  Garden variety non-violent people do not “snap” or decide on the spur of the moment to solve every problem with full-on violence.  Instead, the road towards violence is an evolutionary one, with numerous “danger indicators” along the... (to read more:)

http://joehubbard.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/danger-indicators/

Joe

Want to discuss?  Leave a reply.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Danger Indicators
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »

Good evening Joe-good info- as usual-i do think though that if the person(attacker) is insane then there will be no build up towards the attack-it will occur immediately if this
person picks someone and his  button is pushed-I have seen this on more than once-the "insane" one will be quiet and then bam he attacks and does not stop.....
whereas most attacks occur as you have discussed -step by step-
what do u think- WW

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:08:00 AM »

Well, unfortunately, it’s not quite that simple- even with the certifiably insane.  The secret was embedded in your post: “...and his button is pushed.”  Even with so-called random attacks, there is usually a build up of some sort.  Criminals who suddenly ambush people have mostly done so after some sort of stalking procedure or more sophisticated surveillance tactics before they strike.  The victim preserves this to be totally random, but they were just not paying attention to their own in built-in “danger indicators.”

Joe
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:12:34 AM by Joe Hubbard »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:58:34 AM »

Disagree there Joe, some times there are no indicators or the indicators are so personal to the attacker that they can only be called indicators after the event has happened and the actions get looked at in hind sight

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:51 AM »

You may be right in some isolated cases, but the percentages are definitely in favor of indicators going off like warning bells before an incident goes south.  Sadly, most people are oblivious to these early warning signals because they don't keep a watchful eye on them.  These people tend to fall into the "I thought it would never happen to me" brigade during post contact management.

I still meet experienced Martial Artists who have never included the early, mid and late phase response continuum into their training. 

Hunter S. Thompson

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »

Yeah, I'll go along with the "percentage" rule on this one. And I am STILL after all these years just amazed, amazed at the amount of people that cant see the forest for the tress and end up in trouble or worse the one sthat appraoch me when I am clearly dealing with a situation that is spiraling out of control.

Mr. Barnett

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »

The Stare.
Energy is given off of people.  The stare is one example.  We've read that snipers are advised to abstain from staring at their target.  That stare can be field tested.  Any one with animals, dogs, or cats or whatever martial animal you so choose have stared down their dog or cat.  I've done the test.  Stared at the back of someone elses dog, at rottie,  from quite a distance.  The dog turned, and he perked up after i stared at him for about 45 seconds or so.  That was a long stare.  But we're talking about danger indicators, and the stare is one of them, or lack thereof, but i'm speaking about that one stare.  You know, the one that says "get the fork back jack". 
-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »

All the info is good-what i am refering to is that the "insane persons" button is pushed but he is not around anyone so that when he appraches some one he is all ready primed and will attack "now"
The stare mentioned is right on the money also..
I am not a head doctor but i have seen times while on some type patrol or working in a security envirenment where the person just jumps at someone without a warning-
so -training should include immediate response to somene near by that is going to charge at you without any signals that he is comming.
Make sense?? hope so-this is a good topic lets keep it going-WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 08:05:50 AM »

Here is a bunch more on this subject
http://hockscombatforum.com/index.php/topic,1514.0.html

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »

Here are some more-taken from various scources-(not mine but i use them)
1-Insensitivity to others
2-belittling behavior and attitude towards others
3-3negative comments to others
4-bullying
5-excessive anger
6-brooding/revenge
7-obsession
8-extreme mood swings
9-physical tantrums
10-jock or gueilla mentality
11-mean drunk
ww

Mr. Barnett

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »

In this article, http://hockscombatforum.com/index.php/topic,5776.msg50720.html#msg50720
I am of the opinion that a 51 year old guy, living his dream of being a cop, hired on 3 years ago for cop work, probably did not recognize a single one of these ambush signs.  Or Danger Indicators.  and ambush signs?  I don't think i would generalize about "non-violent" to "lunatic".  If an ambush is detected, a huge ringing danger indicator, if detected, lunitic behavior is advised.  Not one of the things on the list below could be used for reference indicator in this particular case, because the list below must have  been taken from some recon of some sort.  Cops keep it pretty simple, watch the hands.  I like that, and work my way back over any other simple mental checklists...if there is time...the ambush.....ok, what are good even late phase ambush indicators?
-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

Mr. Barnett

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »

Possible Signals of Assault

* shoulders go back--r

* face is red, flinching and moving--

* breath is fast and shallow

* sweating

* thousand mile stare (see full metal jacket for reference)

*clothing adjustments. They check their body for weapon location or adjust sleeves for punch.

* finger pointing into the chest

* Starts to reply in one word instead of sentences

* direct solid unbroken eye contact

* acts stoned or drunk

* directs anger towards objects and display of other physical pre-warnings. Letting you know capacity by destroying objects

An Attack is definite here

* red to white flush of the face

* lips tighten

* change of stance blades the body.

* hands closed tight

* glance to your body parts (target selection)

* dropping of their center or lowering of body

* taking off clothes (jacket removal)( very common)

Mr. Barnett

• Level 3
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »

If we consider the range, and we find little range between IDing possible signs, and definite signs, than I'd consider any physical touch a valid indicator of assault.  A finger to the chest for example, and then there are the circumstances...

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »

Many of these indicators are useful in the infamous "workplace." There, you can see people steaming along for a longer persiod of time than someone who say -  suddenly jumps at your from nowhere because you've pulled into a handicapped parking spot...

Hock

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »

Many of these indicators are useful in the infamous "workplace." There, you can see people steaming along for a longer period of time than someone who say -  suddenly jumps at your from nowhere because you've pulled into a handicapped parking spot...

Hock

Absolutely!  But, that also transcends just about every aspect of "contact" with people that we have.  Most crimes are committed by people who have had prior contact with the victim in some way, even if just a modicum.  A girl friend or wife is killed?  The first suspect is the boy friend or husband.  The totally random attack happens, but is really rare.  Similarly, in retail business crime, the highest offenders are not shop lifters, but loyal staff members and/or regular delivery drivers.  

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Download