W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 23, 2018, 04:16:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Practice! Part 3  (Read 2103 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Practice! Part 3
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »

Reflective learning enables you to reflect on how you would use your skills for future situations.  I recommend keeping a “reflective learning journal” where you “collect” your ideas and interpret what you have learned previously.  This way you are always linking the skills you have learned to some type of active application.  It is also useful [...]

To read more:  http://joehubbard.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/practice-part-3/

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Practice! Part 3
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »

Joe-good morning-we must be of the same wolf clan-as I have been making a small journal for a long time-i put the subject on top-who wrote the info f i rememebr to)and notes-
the journal covers things like
stalking/body language/tactics/new moves/child bullying/how to interrigate/strength drills/endurance factors/reading the street---and it goes on and on
i review them every once and awhile
it helps-and keeps me updated
I also apply hocks 5 w,s to most everythbing under the sun-it works..........
thanks-WW

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »

Good job WW!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »

practise-as we go further into this subject it seems like we are on a on line self defense school-which is good-by reviewing the 1,2,3 one gets the feeling that we can apply this to real life situations-beyond that of just martial arts-

The 24th I am giving a seminar/class to a group of business professionals-the material here will assist in the discussion part-ill pull out parts that apply-if i continue ill add more from the posts.

Presently I have a sheriff deputy in my class-we discuss parts of what you review-and in addition we talk about real world speed in actions- and what is called "continuous motion" to complete the tactic.

continuous motion is needed (to finish the tactic) in anything-if possible cvan you
expound a little on that aspect?

ww

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »

To further this discussion...

How many reps?
http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/howmanyreps/?index.htm

and the two books on the Hidden Brain (reflexive Mind)
http://www.hockscqc.com/bookclub/hockshowlingcommando.htm
The Hidden Brain being the better one. getting things in and out of that "hidden brain"

Hock

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:04:36 AM »

Of course, you can apply this to anything- I became a world class jazz bassist applying these exact same principles.

I not sure what you want me to expand on, would you please clarify?  Was it in reference to practicing at real time speed in order to inculcate what you are learning into your long term motor memory?  Or is it related to how you practice scenario development, or actual experience? 

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »

Joe-actually i am refereing to how one does "continuous motion" or words to that effect-when you react to attack and you are defending-one has to continue till the problem is
overcome-if you stop 3/4 of the way he might be able to retaliate
maybe i explained it anyway?? WW

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:08 AM »

Oh, okay...you need to implement "overkill" training.  A lot of this becomes situational, so forgive me if this seems to be a one dimensional answer.

You need to practice optional awareness combat scenarios with 6 or more steps.  You also may need to isolate each one of the components: entry, CQC attack, takedown, finish and escape.  It's important to note that at any stage of the scenario a disengagement could take place; this is paramount with multiples.

You also need to progressively practice with resistance and safety gear.  You need a good coach who understands what happens to someone who has been elbowed in the face at close range.  These sessions unsupervised can so easily turn into an event of diminishing returns.

What you are referring to is what I simply call "follow through."  Most of the time, you will not need 6 or more steps before your opponent will fall down, but that's where the overkill part comes in.   

Joe    

Hunter S. Thompson

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »

joe-ok i got you-ww

Crafty

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »

Great advice joe thx im seeing a difference.

Hoch i should get the hidden brain book in the next few days looking forward to reading it
thx

Download