W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 23, 2018, 11:02:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chael Sonnen- Ground-N-Pound!  (Read 2103 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Chael Sonnen- Ground-N-Pound!
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »

For those of you that missed UFC 109 with the remarkable victory by Chael Sonnen against Nate Marquardt, here is a link to that fight:

http://k1fighter.blogspot.com/2010/02/ufc-109-nate-marquardt-vs-chael-sonnen.html

There is some fantastic ground-n-pound tactics very similar to the relentless style of Jim McCann.  Notice how he owns Nate Marquardt while in Marquardt's guard while employing copious high-low-high punch combos.  Chael's conditioning is just awesome throughout!

Joe
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:45:58 AM by Joe Hubbard »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

TLE

• Level 3
Re: Chael Sonnen- Ground-N-Pound!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:23:40 AM »

Is the sacred"closed guard" finally dead?

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »

Back to the 1980s schoolyard groundfight.
Ground n pound. Interesting film and interesting comentary.

Is the closed guard OVER? I dont think completely no. I think its something everyone still has to do and know in basic training.

But, take two equal fighters, one a feverent ground n pounder?
I think the GnPs have the advantage. (Nate Marquardt is REALLY good because he did survive a beating. The only reason Sonnen quite punching for a second or so, was Nate keeping him just enough off balance to stop the barrage. And Nate got his feet on Sonnen's pelvis for some good push backs. 

BJJ twisted this GnP commons sense off when they captured everyone into a subliminal wrestling mentality. It is sad it took almost all of the 90s and the 2000s to get people to kick and punch on the ground and minimize no-strike wrestling.

It takes way, way, way more skill in wrestling to outfight both a skilled wrestler and skilled, committed GnP-er combination fighter. Lets watch the evolution through the next few years. I'll bet it leans to the ground and pound.

Should have started in 1994.

Hock

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »

Marquardt is good, but an interesting observation is how he couldn't pull off any BJJ tactics (triangle choke, guillotine, arm bar, etc.) from his back other than surviving.  Chael's conditioning is really off the charts because he really never allowed Marquardt to catch his breath.  Joe Rogan said some intersting stuff in regard to countering a ground-n-pounder from your back.  Another moment had Marquardt simulating a knee while grounded which evoked a bit of humor. Even Joe Rogan insinuated that knees on the ground should be allowed in the UFC to be able to counter such a barage from a ground-n-pounder such as Chael Sonnen.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »

@3:52 or so, he controls his head with his palm and slides right into an elbow shot,nice!
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »

I guess you mention that because we do that too?

Shown to me in the early 1990s by JKDs Mark McFann at a Terry Gibson/McFann seminar in Tulsa, Oklahoma. McFann also has a shoulder drop into it. Palm post to elbow strike to shoulder "strike" in a nice progression. (I never could master the shoulder strike so I don't show it.)

Hock

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »

I thought I saw that somewhere before ;o)
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Crafty

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »

If you notice once he got him up agaisnt the cage he could land more accurate shots shutting his control system nose,eyes,throat,ears, attacks to much hitting the skull area he will absorb after the clean shots he won the fight bust his nose,choke,cheek bone shots,ear attacks.

illegal shots sneaky ones.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »

(I thought I saw that somewhere before)

Yes you have sir!
Unarmed Combative level 6 - the Elbow strike module where we do mucho elbow strikes standing and grounded, etc. Of course that palm-to-elbow ground strike has been around a looong time.

GREAT ground fighter. Mark McFann. Currently retired from the Air Force and lives in northen Arkansas.

Hock

Download