W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 16, 2018, 05:38:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buying knives  (Read 3211 times)

fkruger

• Level 1
Buying knives
« on: April 02, 2005, 08:06:40 AM »

I never owned a quality folder so I decided to venture on the internet and look at several brands. I narrowed it down to SOG and Cold Steel. But I recieved a brochure in the mail yesterday from a company called DARKOPS. www.darkopsknives.com I am leaning toward this product. Any comments here before I sink a few hundred bucks on a good knife?
Mike - fkruger

Trembula

Re: Buying knives
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »

For few hundred bucks you ought to be able to buy two, four, or maybe even six quality knives.

Quality folders can be had as cheaply as the 40-60 dollar range (slightly used Cold Steel or Spyderco knives - or the same brands on sale if you shop around). Benchmades and the like will run a bit more, but can be bought in the 100 to 125 or so dollar range. Emersons will cost more than that, but the production models are available online in the 150 to 175 dollar range. Striders and others will cost a good bit more than that.

There is nothing wrong with a pair of Spyderco Endura's.... a brace of those plus shipping from www.knifeworks.com will only set you back about a hundred bucks. www.ltspecpro.com has Cold Steel knives for sale pretty cheap.

Like many folks here, I am an advocate of having a "left hand knife" and a "right hand knife", so you might just want two blades. I believe in buying quality, but if you are afraid of using the knife for fear of "mussing" it or afraid to carry it because you can't afford the posibility of losing it, the knife (knives) is (are) too expensive.

SOG and Cold Steel both make quality knives as do many other companies. Knife quality is somewhat proportional to price (i.e. a ten dollar "made in Pakistan" folder is going to be junk, but upwards of fifty bucks - assuming they aren't ripping you off - you tend to get something worthy of trusting your life to) but unless it is a near-indestructabla custom (a Strider for example), upwards of about two hundred bucks, I don't think a production is worth it... (exception for quality autos like Microtech's - of which I own exactly zero).

Dan

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 08:56:29 PM »

As usual, Trembula hit the nail on the head. :)  I own several cold steel's, several spyderco's and I have also lost some over they years.  It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.  I would recomend not going really expensive at first because you are still finding out the size, weight, style, etc. that you like and works for you.  If you work in an office setting for example, you may want a folder that looks nice, is light, and maybe is easily consealable since your boss or coworkers may freak if they see "the Widowmaker 2000" sticking out of your suit.  If you work in a more laid back setting, it is different. 

The make and lines of some edged weapons make them look like a "killing" knife.  It is not always a good idea to carry one that looks really intimidating, especially if you get pulled over in a routine traffic stop. 

Check with Columbia River Knife and Tool at www.crkt.com , they have some good quality knives (like the M16 line) that are very affordable.   I stopped looking at the really expensive knives a long time ago.  For one thing, I can't afford them, and for another it is not necessary to spend a lot of money when you can get something that will do the job you want it to for cheaper.  I would love to have a Shiva Ki Spirit Blade, but at about $3000, I will wait till I win the lottery.

As for worrying about mussing up your knife, you can carry a smaller pen knife or pocket knife as well, to use for small cutting tasks.  This keeps the edge on your defensive folder sharp.  I always recomend to my students also that whatever knife they buy and carry, they should use it in solo command and mastery.  You can do this if you choose to, be careful.  This makes you familiar with your knife.

And, check with your local laws in regard to what you can and can't carry.  No sense in getting it if you can't take it out of your house.  Just my $0.02. 
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

Trembula

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 09:10:55 PM »

One nice thing about carrying two knives is that your "weak side" one that is essentially a backup to your strong side knife can be used for all those things you use a knife for that you shouldn't.... (or just carry a multi-tool someplace handy..

One more thing, make sure the knife you practice with (and the knife you use for utility tasks) is as identical as possible to the one you actually carry. Same clip orientation, same handle shape, same opening, same locking mechanism... Reduce the fumble factor as much as possible by having one "manual of arms" for all the folders you carry, whether it be one, two, or whatever. I still have a couple of knives I really like, but everything I use and carry is waved, liner lock, tip up on the clip, and carried to deploy in a sabre grip.

Dan

fkruger

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 06:36:11 AM »

First I want to say thanks Trembula and kamagong.

Your right, after checking around I could buy two good knives for about 120 bucks. I planned to buy one first to see if I like the feel of it then I will buy my second. As for left side carry it happens to be my strong side so the right handed side may have to wait.

Again, thanks for the input. It is good to be on a forum where you get straight answers not a bunch of bull.

Mike

fkruger

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 10:23:17 AM »

Well guys thanks again. The Knife Works site is amazing. I spent several hours looking and reaserching. I narrowed my search to AG Russell, CRK&T, Cold Steel, and Smith & Wesson. After lots of though and looking back and forth I decided to buy a Cold Steel (Recon) and a Smith & Wesson (Special Ops). All for under a hundered bucks with deliever. If I do not like one of them I will pack it up for a birthday or Christmas gift. I will post my opinion when they arrive.

Hey I know what you guys are saying "please don't " 

Hit Hard
Hit First
Hit Fast

Mike

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:13:28 PM »

I'm by no means a knife expert
but those knives on the darkops website look really silly....
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

mleone

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 05:22:51 AM »

I understand there are different brands.

But the best knife is one with good characteristics.
Not always best brand.
Does it have a good grip
is the tang strong.
Can it prevent your hand from sliding onto the blade?
Does it have easy deployment?
Is it a folder?

These are some questions I have my self when I purchase a knife.
I have cold steel recon 1
and I am very happy with it.

fkruger

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 05:59:10 PM »

I am not inpressed with my Cold Steel Recon Knife. It is hard to deploy and it is to bulky to carry everyday in my pocket. After looking some more I found a 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 is a better size for me. I like the SW special ops except it doesn't allow you to change the clip for left handers like myself aslo I like by clip with blade points up do not have to flip the knife. Anyway my fiance' like the S&W so I gave it to her. I have permission to spend another 100 dollars to buy two more knives. As for the Cold Steel it is giong to be a Christmas gift this year to someone.

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 06:45:28 PM »

Hey guys,
I am a distributer for Cold steel, the knives are great All i carry, I can give you a great deal on any knife, let me know if anyone is interested

Kaliman33@aol.com

Marc halleck

Download