W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 21, 2018, 05:05:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Filipino Double Stick Methods  (Read 5543 times)

Dawg

• Level 4
Filipino Double Stick Methods
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:10:40 PM »

Hock,
Just got done watching the DVD I got from you at our Meridian seminar, "Filipino Double stick Methods".

Yeah, I know it's old, retro stuff to you, but to me, it was great!

Very well demonstrated; I'm looking forward to adding the drills I don't already do to my training regimen. Great job! I highly recommend this DVD to anyone interested in double stick training.

BTW, anybody ever tell you that you used to look like Clint Eastwood with a moustache? No wonder you taught martial arts on the side; you must have spent a fortune on hair products! ;D

"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Filipino Double Stick Methods
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »

Clint Eastwood never had a moustache!

I actually looked more like Shaft. John Shaft. You know, a honkey John Shaft, and I am a complicated man.

Today I resemble a wrinkled, canass sack of nickels.

If ya' like double sticks? This is a good one! Shot as a television episode on my old TV show in 1990s. About what...ohhh...40 double stick drills? 50? http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product284.html

It's almost lightning in a jar, but Barnhart was there and you know how he attracts lightning bolts. The bolts never made it in the jar.

Hock
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:37:22 PM by Hock »

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:20:46 PM »

Well...

If you were a "honkey John Shaft" what would your theme song be?

(Every real action hero has to have a theme song!)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »

Hush your mouth

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:00:44 AM »

More like Magnum PI!

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »

I have a double stick dvd as well, filled with 40 some drills, i love double stick, check it out. also check out our techniques of the month on my website

Marc Halleck
www.nsama.com

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:58:25 PM »

Hey! I like that "Technique of the Month"! I've been using the beginning of that technique as a setup for a choke from the side after the neck strike.

Now that I've finally acquired all of Hock's and Jimbo's DVD material, you're next on my list.

I already have your "Sumbrada" DVD, BTW, and have watched it several times. Good stuff!

(Nice website, BTW; added it to my "Favorites") ;D

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:59:20 AM »

You'd best not forget Uncle Nicky's stuff, too...
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »

No worries, Rawhide!

Uncle Nicky's stuff is on my list, but for the rest of this year my training will be focused on Hock's PAC and Gun material. Ol' Dawg can only do so many things at a time these days due to the limited amount of brain cells that remain functional after 20 years of Naval service. I try to remain "trainable", but in the immortal words of Toby Keith, "I'm not as good as I once was, I've got some years on me now."

I think I get brownie points for still trying!

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »

I only teach four drills nowadays. Single, Single Advanced, Double and Redonda. I think Inosanto guys would call them a hi-lo, hi-lo-hi and then heaven/earth six and heaven six but its been years since I watched his stuff so I might have it wrong.

From these four drills I find it quick and simple to teach the core flow of Arnis (FMA) and can extrapolate many skills and attributes as well as use them to teach various concepts for range, timing, angles, empty hands, knives (for the art's sake) and much more.

I used to teach more but since moving away from large classes to a couple of students at a time at best or large seminar one time audiences, I find the fewer drills the simpler the better. Of course I do want to see what a honky John Shaft looks like. Theme song? Select something from Michael Buble's repertoire.
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »

Noooooo...
Michael Bubbles...Bulban...Bubble-ahhh....what?
He is frozen pizza to Frank Sinatra REAL pizza...

And its JONAS Shaft! YEAH!
Hock

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:05:35 AM »

Frank? I have to agree. I once wrote an essay for college all about his singing 'The Way You Look Tonight'. There have been something like 23 covers of that song since 1936 when Fred Astaire sang it for the first time. The lyrics were written by a woman. Of all the versions, Frank Sinatra's was the best.

I teach a class using that song, pointing out how his phrasing and timing are there even though he leaves out a word here and so on. I use it to get them thinking about their timing, distance, range and broken rhythm. I show how the lyrics only have one rhyme line but it is a song, not a poem and that is like a contest versus a street fight etc. Lots of good teaching points in that song. In fact I use a few singers and songs in classes.

Mariah Carey  has enormous range and is a pop singer yet she was classically trained by her mother, the voice coach for the New York Opera. The point is that with a solid classical base you can then do anything, pop, rock, jazz etc. It is all about being trained properly in the first place. You can't shed stuff you don't know and you will find all the best 'RBSD' guys had classical MA training at some stage.

Anybody else use analogous examples in your instructing?
Redcap

“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:24:01 AM »

The point is that with a solid classical base you can then do anything, pop, rock, jazz etc.

I know where you are trying to go with this and although on paper it may appear to be true, but in the music world it isn't.  There are boat loads of classically trained people that couldn't swing their way out of a wet paper bag or play rock or even begin to understand the pop world.  The answer really lies in understanding the genre and then get out there and play.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Download