W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 21, 2018, 04:22:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Defense vs. knife weilder attackers in your bedroom  (Read 2772 times)

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
Defense vs. knife weilder attackers in your bedroom
« on: April 03, 2005, 07:01:20 PM »

My wife had some old pillows she wanted to get rid of.  Not to waste anything, I kept them and decided to use them to see how well a pillow worked as a shield against a knife. (There must be a technical name for this kind of mental condition.  I'll let you all know what it is after they release me from the institution :P).  First we tried it with training knives and found that you could wrap up a knife/knifehand pretty well and do a disarm with what appeared to be a higher measure of safety with a pillow than just going unarmed vs. knife.

Yesterday, we tried it with live blades. 8)  Boy! were we surprised.

Gave my guys a shaving sharp Cold Steel Peacekeeper one and had my guys do lazy lunges at me with the knife as I was holding the pillow DMS style.  Not only did the pillow work as a great wrap up, but the knife had great difficulty cutting the fiberfill pillow stuffing.  The pillow had a thin cotton cloth covering.  That got cut like butter.  Once the cover was all slashed up then the stuffing came out and wasn't good for much except Santa Claus beards but as long as the cover remained in-tact, the pillow was a great shield aside from the fact it kind of cut off your field of view.  The fiber fill proved to be resistant to both slashing and stabbing attacks.  Even when we held the pillow steady and forced the point of the knife through, it took a lot of effort and kind of tore through all those random fibers very slowly.  I now know why Lynn Thompson didn't include cutting pillows in his "More proof!" DVD!

So..Don't know what to do about knife wielding attackers in your bedroom? :-\  Use a pillow! ;)
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

kamagong

• Level 3
Re: Defense vs. knife weilder attackers in your bedroom
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:45:26 PM »

LOL, I bet your wife gave you the same look that mine gave me when I maced myself to see how bad it hurt and how long I could continue an assault before the pain got so I had to stop. ;D  The look was a cross between, "I'm not gonna even bother to try to stop him again" and "Maybe my momma was right about this guy". ;)
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 07:02:00 AM »

LOL, I bet your wife gave you the same look that mine gave me when I maced myself to see how bad it hurt and how long I could continue an assault before the pain got so I had to stop. ;D  The look was a cross between, "I'm not gonna even bother to try to stop him again" and "Maybe my momma was right about this guy". ;)

kamagong,

Barnhart and I have a of lots of other interesting experiments that we need someone to try........  give us a ring.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:36:58 PM »

:D I have heard frightful stories about you and Barnhart.  You sick monkeys you!  ;D
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 01:16:07 PM »

If you see an assailant, armed or not, in your room as you wake up from your slumber, there must have been something wrong with your external security or have failed to keep your doors and windows locked. I have no nightstand so I have to place my guns under the bed beneath a newspaper. This means that it's too late for me to get to my guns once the attacker is in the room. Because of this, I have my tactical folding knife velcrowed to the headboard hidden behind my pillow just in case. It stays there when I'm at home. It goes off when I have to carry it concealed on my own person. Time and time again I have seen this. Half of the home invasions I've seen on the local news have occured because of unocked doors or windows. Especially those with no air condition, they have to keep the window open in order to keep cool. And that is a prelude to an intrusion waiting to happen.

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 06:49:13 PM »

on my wifes side of the bed is a 4ft. cold steel spear, and under my matress with the handle sticking out is a cold steek Kukri ::)

Kaliman

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 11:41:03 PM »

on my wifes side of the bed is a 4ft. cold steel spear, and under my matress with the handle sticking out is a cold steek Kukri ::)

Kaliman

Wow.  I'm not quite sure what to think about that.  I sleep with a knife occasionally, when I feel edgy, but that is something else. :o

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 03:13:40 PM »

I recommend those with recurring nightmares or other mental disorders, especially sleepwalkers, not to keep a knife within reach as you sleep. You may end up stabbing somebody or yourself when you didn't intend to. Try other alternatives such as improvised weapons nearby such as a pillow, as mentioned earlier in other posts, book, lamp, etc. As for myself, I've had some, if not, rare, nightmares but haven't yet took off the knife or went for the guns.

Skyking20000

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 09:08:25 PM »

My wife had some old pillows she wanted to get rid of.  Not to waste anything, I kept them and decided to use them to see how well a pillow worked as a shield against a knife. (There must be a technical name for this kind of mental condition.  I'll let you all know what it is after they release me from the institution :P).  First we tried it with training knives and found that you could wrap up a knife/knifehand pretty well and do a disarm with what appeared to be a higher measure of safety with a pillow than just going unarmed vs. knife.

Gave my guys a shaving sharp Cold Steel Peacekeeper one and had my guys do lazy lunges at me with the knife as I was holding the pillow DMS style.  Not only did the pillow work as a great wrap up, but the knife had great difficulty cutting the fiberfill pillow stuffing.  The pillow had a thin cotton cloth covering.  That got cut like butter.  Once the cover was all slashed up then the stuffing came out and wasn't good for much except Santa Claus beards but as long as the cover remained in-tact, the pillow was a great shield aside from the fact it kind of cut off your field of view.  The fiber fill proved to be resistant to both slashing and stabbing attacks.  Even when we held the pillow steady and forced the point of the knife through, it took a lot of effort and kind of tore through all those random fibers very slowly.  I now know why Lynn Thompson didn't include cutting pillows in his "More proof!" DVD!

So..Don't know what to do about knife wielding attackers in your bedroom? :-\  Use a pillow! ;)

Skyking20000

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 09:09:36 PM »

That is pretty cool. It works great... lol, cut my finger a litle though... otherwise, works great

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 01:45:40 PM »

Even though I sleep in an armed camp, I would probably throw this nasty old cat we have that insists on sleeping with us. 18 pounds of claws and teeth, pissed off to boot, should give me the time I need to grab my 45 and empty it into this person you had the audacity to intrude into my humble home. I would then probably take the dying or dead person out to my pond for the first annual "duck and goose float", or just leave him out for the local feral cats to consume.
Bring on the pillows! So many ideas, so little bed linen.
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Download