W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 24, 2018, 09:54:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ''realistic knife defence'' and couple getting stabbed  (Read 3838 times)

Mesmeriser

• Level 1
''realistic knife defence'' and couple getting stabbed
« on: March 13, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »

I was on youtube today checking out some movies stumbled on this one about ''realistic knife defence'' was kinda funny.
at first i tought this was about what can happen when somebody is dedicated to hurting you,but then i  started seeing the popup boxes with commentary i think they are presenting this as good attempts.

What do you  make of this? Is this good knife defence? i dont ever see him trying to grab the damn weapon hand, he seems to be dying most of the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdJAgfO2GQc&feature=related

next one is Footage of a couple getting stabbed and beaten infront of their house. This one scared me, look how fast this guy comes in and knocks him the hell down, damn thats fast not to mention hard, a bit of an eye opener  -----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqu7PSJPpvc&feature=related

guy gets stabbed with a small sword, how would you defend against this? --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg2kTD5Jirc&feature=related

mes

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: ''realistic knife defence'' and couple getting stabbed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »

good vidios to show at a knife class-you asked about defenses-i would say repeated practise attacks in the class would give one some idea on how to get away/or start to fight instead of just trying to block-(i am not a knife expert)-just some thoughts.
WW

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »

Best knife defense is either shooting the knifer lunging at you or grabbing anything to use as a weapon (knife or any improvised weapon). Bare hand knife defenses are for last resort only and increases your risk of being cut. Besides, most knifers retract their knife hand after the stab you. They don't just present their arm or hand for you to grab and control like they do in the dojo or the movies.
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:55:09 PM »

qoute
" most knifers retract their knife hand after the stab you. They don't just present their arm or hand for you to grab and control like they do in the dojo or the movies."

If one trains realistically and does not just stand in place,but instead moves IN and Uses Angles to the outside of the opponent,moving in is in fact replicating the retraction of the arm,(be it with or with out a weapon),and as such makes gaining control of the weapon bearing limb easier.
I agree most Dojo's/Dojang teach a staying on the outside and working against a static and or thrust only,(no retraction),type attack,which is nonsense .

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:49:38 PM »

I think these videos show a major flaw in a lot of knife defense training.- First, don't focus on the knife, focus on hurting the guy with the knife. If all you are doing is trying to defend and trying to block or grab the knife hand , good chance  your going to get killed. If you can't run, you'd better hurt the guy in a hurry. The videos also prove reinforce the combat mantra I have always heard preached- suprise, speed and violence of action.

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

Those poor bastards, coming back from a night out, almost home and then a full on no warning attack.

You cannot afford to let your guard down. This is a vile event, but for us a warning.

Good knowledge comes from bad experiences..   

Download