Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• December 12, 2018, 01:03:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do You Teach Self Defence - Or Fighting?  (Read 11204 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Do You Teach Self Defence - Or Fighting?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »

Physicallity-could be the following.
*-yelling
*spitting
*put the hands up in a fence postion
*druelling
*ask for help from passerbys
*pull out mace
*interview stance -ready to strike
*turn into a animal-snarl(like a wolf-clan.. ;D)

hows that ?  WW

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »

Well you could face violence that isn't being perpetrated by criminals, so "a little physicality" may be appropriate.
Self defense for me is more than just about coming face to face with criminal violence, but also about handling a drunken neighbor who is getting physical with someone, or a karate student who lost his cool and escalated his sparring match into hurting his partner, or a idiot who is screwing around with a knife in a manner that could cause you or someone else harm. Those are few examples of non-criminal violence that could have gone real bad if not properly handled. My point of view is that a person who is looking to protect themselves and loved ones need techniques to handle any level of violence that they may encounter. In my experience most SD classes and martial arts teachers rarely teach this to any degree.

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »

Everything I read in this particular post pretty much sums up the continuous spectum of encounters. Self defense and fighting are two seperate but linked subjects. In self defense it is more about striking and escaping. In fighting it acknowledging that you are fighting, the "Myth of the duel." Sometimes though they can be quickly intertwined, depending on the situation. You are attacked in one case where you were caught by surprise and you broke his attack but then you quickly ended up in a fight with him. In this case you hit and hit again until you can escape. We are overwhelmed with many ideas by people on the whole subject of violent encounters. Different methods, some good some bad, are introduced to deal with violence. When you break it down though it really up to the defender as to what to do. There is no glory in the situation. No gi, no belt. You defend you escape you survive. You dealt with the situation as best as you knew how to do. You overcame.
A people should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of their people- V

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 08:24:09 PM »

So if fighting is a dual or at least consensual aggression between you and one or more others, and self defense is non-consensual aggression between you and one or more people, what category do other type of encounters go under? If I need to protect another for example, or I'm in a situation where escape isn't the end goal.

By "you", I just mean the primary person in the encounter.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »

Not sure what you mean, but ill take a stab at it..again from a Canadian perspective.

In Canada you can cannot consent to bodily harm (as defined by the criminal code) but you can consent to a fight as long as any injury is no more than "trifling" in nature (fat lip that sort of thing)

If any injury is more than "trifling in nature" then one or both parties can be charged with assault.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 11:55:15 PM »

Canuk- that sounds like zero tollerance in our country school system ;D
ww

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »

So if fighting is a dual or at least consensual aggression between you and one or more others, and self defense is non-consensual aggression between you and one or more people, what category do other type of encounters go under? If I need to protect another for example, or I'm in a situation where escape isn't the end goal.

By "you", I just mean the primary person in the encounter.

What I'm referring to is a category, if you will, of description when referring to violence. It is not "in stone" when discussing violence. Self defense can be, for the most part, referred to an unprovoked attack whether surprise or suddenly faced with an aggressor. Fighting can be referred to as a chosen situation in that when the aggressor is insulting you or a friend. It can also be when he swings at you. Both are interchangeable. One can occur just as quick as the other. I prefer to distinguish them separate to explain them as such. As far as what category to put other types of encounters under just think of it as interchangeable.  Violence is unpredictable, chaotic, nasty, dirty and just plain downright anything goes. We all have our plan then we get punched in the face.
A people should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of their people- V

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

Not sure what you mean, but ill take a stab at it..again from a Canadian perspective.

In Canada you can cannot consent to bodily harm (as defined by the criminal code) but you can consent to a fight as long as any injury is no more than "trifling" in nature (fat lip that sort of thing)

If any injury is more than "trifling in nature" then one or both parties can be charged with assault.

Yes each country has laws regarding what you can or can't do. Each state has such similar ideas as well. That is one reason why if you can walk away from a situation that is the better part of the deal. We don't really know what the other person is capable of doing, so if I can defuse the situation and walk away then I'm better for it. If I can't and I have to engage then I do so. It is not about winning or losing, but about escape, about survival. I adapt. If I am confronted then I deal with that the best way I know how to do. If I'm attacked then I deal with that the best way I know how to do. Staying within the law is a good thing to do until the situation is no longer good for me.

Course I'm from Texas so I do what I gotta do!

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 05:48:11 AM »

Speaking of shod feet and steel capped boots...

A recent judgement in Western Australia has the killer upset at the verdict!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/7007920/man-guilty-for-kicking-parents-to-death/

Redcap
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour
Pages: 1 [2]

Download