W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 19, 2018, 01:21:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: secret sauce  (Read 10260 times)

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
secret sauce
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »

I have wondered why it is so common to see people who study martial arts participate  in this eternal quest to find some fragment of lost knowledge that will make them into a martial arts god, secret foot work...secret strikes...pressure points...lost forms...etc etc etc. What's worse are the people who take advantage of this by claiming in their marketing campaigns to be the sole possessors of the aforementioned secret sauce. In my opinion the only secret is continuous intelligent practice...

-B.
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Snowball

• Level 2
Re: secret sauce
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »

I actually kind of miss the days as a naive teenager in the 80's looking for  that secret sauce. It was cool to believe it was out there. Ah, to have my youthful idealism again...
:^)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »

Brace yourself...its a salad dressing.

The Master

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »

80;s------how about 1962 ...................... ;D    ww

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »

People are still looking for the secret sauce. I was talking with a black belt (3 dan) and they were still looking for it.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »

I think sopme people just want to believe, need to believe that there is a huge martial secret out there, some sort of mystical power that will make them all knowing all seeing and all powerful

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »

Bruce Lee said the secret was that he practiced everyday. Sound's good to me.   

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:37 AM »

As I have told you before, all of the 'secret" info is in the book
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

hessian1

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »

This reminds me of the book "Secret Fighting Arts of the World" by "John F Gilbey" ;)

If you read the reviews just 5-10 years ago it was people thinking they found a link to the secret sauce, but now everyone posts about it being a great satire.  All this changing after Robert W Smith coming out and owning up to it being a joke by himself and Donn Draeger.

Keep safe and train hard/smart,   Mark H
Keep safe and train hard,  Mark H

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »

Bruce Lee said the secret was that he practiced everyday. Sound's good to me.   

Agreed. However, that takes effort, dedication, patience and consistency in your training.

Most folks (IMNSHO) just want a pill they have to take one time to change them into an incredible fighting machine.

I know more now than I did 27 years ago, but I still have to train almost every day...and I'm still not like Bruce Lee.

Go figure. ::)
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »

This reminds me of the book "Secret Fighting Arts of the World" by "John F Gilbey" ;)

If you read the reviews just 5-10 years ago it was people thinking they found a link to the secret sauce, but now everyone posts about it being a great satire.  All this changing after Robert W Smith coming out and owning up to it being a joke by himself and Donn Draeger.

Keep safe and train hard/smart,   Mark H

I saw that book at Barnes & Noble in the early 1990s and thought the author was an Ashida Kim type nut.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »

Hey dawg- you do   look a little like bruce-hehehe-believe that one an ill sell you a
studabaker ...WW(elb) "speed of light" and getting faster (in my own mind)..

as far as secret sauce-dam i am 72 and feel like i am justg starting out in the learning process of CQC

by by-

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:28:33 AM »

Hey dawg- you do   look a little like bruce-hehehe-believe that one an ill sell you a
studabaker ...WW(elb) "speed of light" and getting faster (in my own mind)..

WW,
Good thing you're not in the Studabaker selling business; you'd go hungry!

I wouldn't mind having Bruce Lee's speed and flexibility, but I'll pass on the rest. If it wasn't for my wife, I'd be my own #1 fan! ;D
(Besides, there's no way that little fella could put away as much BBQ as Ol' Dawg can!)

As far as the "secret sauce" topic, I'll just stick with Hock's material and Uncle Arnie's Book of Secrets. At least there's nothing that will get me killed within either of those.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 06:25:38 AM »

Wolfie probably owned a 'new" Studebaker!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 05:58:55 AM »

Hey guys-i bet this will raise some eye brows of the bruce lee fan club whereever they are but-a good shot to the knee caps with a wolfie louieville slugger would  have slowed  his speed down considerably-(louisville slugger with a little tape around the handle for gripping helps)= just smack the shit out of him--yaaaaaaa
Thats my secret sauce for the day-
seeya -WW

Jamie Flory

• Level 2
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 10:17:46 AM »

I think the problem here is that almost everyone (in the United States, but probably other places too), first learns about martial arts from movies or television.  The old hermit in the mountains with the superior art is a staple in kung fu movies and has been since the beginning, was probably a common theme in plays and stories long before that.  The "Secret Sauce" is hard wired into the minds of millions and will be even after "Myth Busters" does their special on the topic.  This theme has even spilled over into non kung fu movies, recently "Wanted" as an example.

And for the record there are 2 secret sauces.  Tabasco and Bourbon.

Jamie

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »

I ran into an Instructor I had in 1970.
i was at the book store,I had some magazines and was looking at the Martial art books and he came over and as we were talking he said what are you still buying all this crap for ?
You leanred how to fight years and years ago,if you do not know by now that stuff won't help you.

Funny,after a movie comes out how many people want to learn what they saw.
They call up and say I saw  this or that movie do you teach that ? LOL
They were even calling after the Matrix asking if we,or anyone we knew,teaches that ?
Yeah there is a school that drills a whole in your head and plugs you into a computer and down loads the info into your brain,lol.

Secret Sauce  ?
The Only Secret Sauce is Hard Work,Sweat and maybe some Blood.

hessian1

• Level 2
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 11:16:38 AM »

While not completely an American thing I do believe this problem comes from the modern western view and our preoccupation with  learning or taking advantage of shortcuts.  This drive to find the "one thing" that puts us ahead of everyone else. I believe we all have known or worked with that guy who expends twice as much energy and effort finding ways to getting around doing work as compared with the energy expended with just doing the work.
    This whole concept of "that takes to long" that is fostered by the computer age where everything is nearly instantaneous.  Want a move...just down load it, snail mail...nah just send an instant message/text/email, need a part to fix a lawn mower...just order it on line and have it over nighted. Hell in Pennsylvania the law mandates that officers have fifteen days to complete a vehicle accident report so a thorough investigation can be completed, but the drivers and insurance companies start calling for a copy the next day.  Maybe this last one comes from all the TV cops solving the crimes in an hour.

Keep safe and train hard/smart,  Mark H
Keep safe and train hard,  Mark H

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »

And for the record there are 2 secret sauces.  Tabasco and Bourbon.
Jamie

Mmmm....

Two of my favorites!  Not really secret (especially in my neck of the woods!), but definitely worthy of an entry in the Super Secret Book of Secrets. There should be an entire chapter titled, "You Haven't Truly Lived Until You've Tried:" and Tabasco and Bourbon should be at or near the top of the list.

Now you've got me hankering for some pork rinds dipped in Tobasco with a Wild Turkey chaser and it's only 1 o'clock in the afternoon!

Bummer!

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »

I I shot a Prairie Fire once (1/2 tequila - 1/2 Tabasco)  Boy did I PUKE! My older brother laughed his a$$ off while I found a spot in Dick's Last Resort in Dallas' West End to hurl...

But if you look closely in Arnold's Secret Book of Secret Secrets Vol. 2 you'll find it, I swear!  The secret sauce in there!
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 02:17:42 AM »

Personally, I love a good Prairie Fire.  Dunno why, as normally I don't like tabasco that much.

As to secrets, it goes deeper than this culture or that culture.  I think there is something deeply rooted in the human psyche that wants, desperately, to believe in mystical powers, whether rooted in a religion, a martial art, UFOs, or otherwise.  People want to believe in these pseudo-sciences, despite that fact that there are so many amazing and REAL things out there to see, experience and learn about.  Every time I train with Hock, or Guru Halleck, I learn something new and amazing.  Same for training with nearly everyone I have so far.  I guess, for martial arts, it comes down to this:  Are you in it for the journey, or simply for the destination?

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »

And what, praytell old Kentbob, did you learn the time you trained with me at Rawhides???

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 03:06:21 AM »

Shhh...Arnold...Top Secret...
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:57 AM »

You learned well, Grasshopper!

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 08:12:36 PM »

here it is!
http://www.thesecretsauce.com/
it won TWO championships!!!
 8)
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4