W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 16, 2018, 12:58:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A comparison of Wing Chun and Boxing  (Read 3800 times)

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
A comparison of Wing Chun and Boxing
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:52:07 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvJXxzXbVk
Any comments would be appreciated...
Jin is a student of Hawkins Cheung.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: A comparison of Wing Chun and Boxing
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »

Interesting.
Opinionated.
The kid is obviously an exponent of Chinese Boxing.

Boxers through decades have "stood" all kinds of ways, very frontal too, and go from his so-called basketball footwork stance to the football stance/footwork.

Boxing is not as rigid or small as he says in this clip. (What about the descending overhand?)

He says basketball "young" and "football" older, but size (and girth) has a lot to do with that too, regardless of age.

The discussion, of his version of, the Chinese hook with elbow down is fine if you can punch through the opponent's forearm! (something, some people call - a block!) The higher elbow, or a raising elbow allows you to go over the the block and land the punch. Freedom to move the elbow is important in system doctrine.

The prejudice comes in when you hear him say, "this is not good," here and there.

Unless you are VERY, very interested in these historic, martial arts specifics? These lengthy discussions like these are like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic so to speak. A person should be able to do all these things freely and smartly, not restricted.

The clip is a snoozer for people like me, but I am glad there are people out there still interested enough in knowing the finer points of historical martial arts and making this film clips for people to think about.

Hock
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:30:30 PM by Hock »

Mesmeriser

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:23:58 AM »

yeah i hate to admit but i bailed out
this thing was ridiculously borring,  was kind of interesting but his pace is just to damn slow...

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »

ill pass- thanks anyway- ww

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »

Lecturing..slow..show me...please.

I want to see what form or rigid structure he takes when a knife is whipping around at his head and lead immovable elbow.  Those arms better get out of there, lest they be replaced with prothstetics.  There is no such thing as immovable elbow.  There is no forward or sideways stance that stays static in action.  And flat footed vs on the ball of feet is continually changing based on distance versus clutching.  Don't see why there are absolutes in an advanced trainer's teaching curriculum.  The higher up the training in WC, the less form is adhered to, the more adaptable and like other styles it becomes.

Glad I sold my Titanic ticket!
An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:44:56 AM »

More crap. Jackass probably owns a Yugo ::)
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:39:44 AM »

One time  a instructor invited a mma guy i knew to train-the wing chun kung fu louie got his ass handed to him as the mma guy who was in the midst of training with a pro boxer for a up comming cage fight just blew through him and almost took his head off- what was interesting is the kung fu louie started taking lessons at our gym in mma and did pretty good- that shows that the propaganda that is passed out by some schools is great when they train with their own only-but when they go out on the big world of reality type fighitng- whan bam thank you mam-

Lessons learned =learn -train- see what others are doing and jump in the middle and
try =one might actually learn something...

and thats my story and i am sticking to it-WW )ELB) "speed of light"-and getting faster (in my own mind)

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »

many people become lost in abstraction and dogmatic thinking, at some point the rubber has to hit the road...

-B.
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Download