W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 18, 2018, 10:16:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Developing Power Generation Part 1,2 & 3  (Read 5446 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Developing Power Generation Part 1,2 & 3
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:42:53 AM »

Technically speaking power is really the accelerated energy generation behind your strikes.  Many equate acceleration to speed, but in order to develop real power in your strikes you also need to add weight behind that speed.  That is what is known as...[read full story here]:

http://joehubbard.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/developing-power-generation-part-1/

Joe
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:25:25 AM by Joe Hubbard »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Developing Power Generation Part 1
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »

Very Nice piece Joe.

You see many who instruct and fail to tell students of use of the body and movement to the target over just arm and or hip twist.
Arm,Hip twist and body weight moving through a step, or drop, greatly increases the Power as impact into the target is made .

If we look at Wing Chun's One -Three inch punch:
Many believe it is just trying to generate power/force through hand/arm speed.
In reality it is the drivng the pinky up/torque of the hand ,with hand,arm speed plus a slight drop of the body by bending the knees and driving the hips toward the target at impact.

Little things that many forget,or never learned.

Again Great piece.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »

Cheers Jim!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »

Very Nice piece Joe.

You see many who instruct and fail to tell students of use of the body and movement to the target over just arm and or hip twist.
Arm,Hip twist and body weight moving through a step, or drop, greatly increases the Power as impact into the target is made .

Little things that many forget,or never learned.

Again Great piece.

I agree entirely!
Unfortunately, for my students, I'm sure I sound like a broken record on this subject. ;D

"tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap" sounds good on the heavy bag or the training pads but it's, "THUD-THUD-THUD" that gets the job done. Your "THUD" doesn't have to be as loud as my "THUD" or vice versa; but train to "THUD"!

If you're only going to get one shot, make it happen using your whole body; it might be the only one you need!

May all your assailants be tappers and may all your strikes be THUDs.
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »

The new sub-title for Joe's article

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap versus Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »

good information Joe-lately i have been working with a couple boxers-one thing they do is when punching they slam the foot down and punch flat footed -especially the cross punch-i show same using the palm (for women in a self defense situation)-

Bas Ruddens cd tape learning to punch 1,2,3,4 punches discusses that also.

The women i work with have very weak wrists and so the palm is the way to get speed ,power, and damage to the opponent.

please send more info-great article- thanks again  WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »

Heel up?
Heel down?
Have you read this?
http://hockscombatforum.com/index.php/topic,1202.0.html

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:14:50 AM »

hello-reread this -all makes sense-i do like for power and snap to hit with heel down-but-
at the school where i teach  they just hired a former coach for the all army boxing teram- ill ask and get back with his thoughts- WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:02:56 AM »

The new sub-title for Joe's article

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap versus Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud

Kind of catchy, huh? ;D

I reread the entire "heel up, heel down" controversy, uh...I mean thread, and I liked Uncle Nicky's version the best:

"I use both depending if they're running in on me or I'm running at them.  If you're going to stop a run away car you lock your back leg straight and put your foot flat...simple physics...like the 45 degree brace the harder the car "pushes" the more it drives the foot into the ground and locks you in place.

Now try and push that same car to get it up to speed to jump start it and you'll have your heels up and legs bent to keep the follow up drive going.

Ergo, when the guys running at me I'll lock my back leg and keep the foot flat...when I'm going after him I almost have to bend that back leg and get the heel up - like a sprinter in the blocks - to go after him and run him down."

Of course, I'm in total agreement with the Big Kahuna that only the Mythbusters could find out conclusively whether heel up or heel down resulted in the greatest amount of power being delivered. Until they give us an answer:

If what you're doing is working for you; keep doing it!

If it's not...then it certainly won't hurt to try something different.

Keep training, keep learning and don't be fearful of trying something different every now and then. Just ask Uncle Arnie...he used to think the little yellow pills were the greatest thing since Italian motorbikes, until he tried the little blue pill! ;)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »

Part 2 is Here:

Increasing overall power in your strikes is dependant on moving your body towards your target while employing the appropriate...[read full story]:

http://joehubbard.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/developing-power-generation-part-2/

Enjoy

Joe
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:06:01 AM by Joe Hubbard »

Hunter S. Thompson

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »

Joe- i sent you a comment-WW

Crafty

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »

drop your weight into the strike or put your hips into the strike are the two mechanics i think

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 08:24:35 AM »

Part 3 is up:

Developing power in your strikes can be hard work and practicing power specific exercises are of premium value for street survival.  Remember, it is specificity that should be your major objective when conditioning yourself to develop power in your strikes. With that in mind, there are four major areas of movement that we want to...[read full story here]:

http://joehubbard.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/developing-power-generation-part-3/

Enjoy

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Dawg

• Level 4
Re: Developing Power Generation Part 1,2 & 3
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »

I really like the progression of these articles, Joe. My personal training program rotates all of these elements around over a two to three week period and gives me not only a great variety in my workouts, but also the ability to train as hard as I want daily without too much risk of injury.

I think the best point of the article is:
"Remember, it is specificity that should be your major objective when conditioning yourself to develop power in your strikes."

I see a lot of fellas training hard to get stronger or bigger, but the majority of them are not specifically training to hit or kick with power. I think there's a difference between the two. I like to think of it the way Hock frequently states: "What's your mission?"

If your goal is just to get bigger or stronger or more fit, then focus on the specific training elements that will ensure your success.

If your goal is developing power in your strikes, then the four elements you cited in your article are critical (IMHO, anyway! ;D) to achieving that goal. I've trained with many strong and fit fellas that couldn't strike much better than Joe average (Heaven help you if they got a good hold on you, though :o). Specificity in your training is the key element to continued growth in whatever endeavor you're applying yourself to.

Great series of articles, Joe!

P.S.
Since I've gone back to the day shift this month, I've left the isometric element out of my routine. Thanks for reminding me to get it back in there!

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »

"I like to think of it the way Hock frequently states: 'What's your mission?' "

...and "reducing the abstract." You get to a point where you cleeve away the generics and distractions.

Hock

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 02:33:25 AM »

Hi Dawg

Glad to hear that you found these blogs useful.  As you stated, it is of utmost importance to define your mission.  As instructors, one of our primary goals is to give your people some clarity on these issues.  I hear many people these days slightly disgruntled with self defence/combatives/reality systems.  I am convinced that it is because lack of clarity from the instructor about the system's doctrine and unbalanced (or lack of) material.  In fact, many of these instructors end up resorting to teaching a mixed martial arts program because they have very little progression within their "reality" system.  Many of them blather on about the pre-fight rituals, while others relentlessly drill single direct attacks against focus mitts directing their students with commands like, "Hit harder...hurt the pad...hurt your hand."  Everyone gets super pumped and start to believe that they are "super bad", but just imagine if their instructor - just once - told them to turn their body from the ankle, knee, hip and shoulder while executing their strikes.  It's all about clarity!

Joe
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:59:21 AM by Joe Hubbard »

Hunter S. Thompson

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 09:18:04 AM »

I hear many people these days slightly disgruntled with self defence/combatives/reality systems.  I am convinced that it is because lack of clarity from the instructor about the system's doctrine and unbalanced (or lack of) material. 

I hear ya! But, I'm not totally convinced it's always on the instructor or the material.

I had the opportunity to train with some great folks down in Florida recently. The instructor was a great fella and demonstrated all the techniques very well before we teamed up with partners and executed them ourselves. The 2 guys I was grouped with commented on how I was able to do the drills faster and hit the pads harder than they were able to, and I tried to emphasize the difference in how I was using my entire body to execute the techniques while they were primarily using only their upper body. They didn't seem to be able to grasp the difference between what I was doing vice what they were doing, even though their instructor had demonstrated the techniques almost exactly the same way. It was a large class and the instructor was moving around constantly, going from group to group, and providing input and suggestions.

I felt the instructor was very clear about what we were doing and how we were to execute the drills. He specifically emphasized about hip and body movement; these guys just weren't at the point in their training where they were able to put it all together yet. Hopefully, they'll keep at it and try to emulate the movements of their instructor. They'll get it, eventually.

Which (finally!) brings me to my point:

I think the majority of people who train in TMA or combatives type training are entirely satisfied just being there. If they get a decent workout, learn something new every now and then, and are having a good time...they're happy! I think it's a very small minority in this already small group of folks who actually ask themselves, "What's next?", "Where do I go from here", or "Is my training realistically preparing me for success against a threat of violence?"

Tough questions, especially if you're spending some serious coin on your training. At least the folks I trained with are getting quality instruction and if they stick with it, sooner or later they'll catch on...right?

Until then, I'll give them "props" just for showing up and trying.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 08:24:36 PM »

Dawg- i agree with you and Joe-the material is great- as for training- i also agree-lots of students do not go the extra mile to think-Can i really recognize a violent encounter?
(as put by Hock)-they work out hard-sweat- and go home-but---i dont think many think in terms of vilolence??????
I always remind my class of this ...
WW (ELB) Speed of light and getting faster -(in my own mind)

Download