W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 22, 2018, 01:57:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deprogram Bullies  (Read 2533 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Deprogram Bullies
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Deprogram Bullies
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »

It sounds great
But
I doubt it will have any realistic long range benefits towards changing the mindset of a Bully.

Kids learning to care for a baby teaches them to get in touch with feelings and needs of others ?
I doubt it in the long term.

A Bully gets nothing from attacking and degrading a baby as the baby does not understand and will not be influenced.

A Bully needs to be able to influence the victim verbally,mentally or physically,none of this can be arrived at with a baby,in a group setting, in a supervised environment.

A Bully is a predator who seeks a certain kind of victim and a baby does not fit the parameters of that need.

I doubt the long term results of this program will yield any positive results.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »

agree- a bully does that because the victim reacts to the bullies actions by showing fear
or submissivness to what is happening/although i am not a social worker i would venture to say that some victims actually join the bully or their group as they are afraid if they
fight back or do not submit they will get hurt or worse- WW

rasdj

• Dillon R.
  • Level 2
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

A Bully is a predator ...

I doubt the long term results of this program will yield any positive results.

True, bullying is predatory behaviour but in kids there is mostly insecurity and a power play that drives the predatory behaviour.  Giving kids something else to show/demonstrate competency at (child care in this case) and thus improve self-image, with positive attention, may go a long way. Personally I prefer empowering kids to stand up to bullies on behalf of others(themselves too, but need more good Samaritans) not just physically but by not giving audience to the behaviour and not feeding the power need in the bully by accepting their actions.
I exhort you also to take part in the great combat,  which is the combat of life, and greater than every other earthly combat.
--Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »

I would rather see classes on teaching kids how to stand up to Bullies,rather than this touchy,feely mind game BS,with no proof of its worth or real end result.
Empower a potential victim with an ability to physically defend and the verbal harassment will take care of itself,as the confidence that comes with physical skills/abilities can over power the feeling of insecurity.(insecurity empowers a predator/bully,confidence empowers a potential victim)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 04:13:12 PM »

agree-with the comments-the bullies i have seen have a common thread- size--
they use it to intimadate the smaller weaker pray-
if the victim does not fight back they will be hunted down till they are physically hurt or mentally hurt which can tun into suicide-joining a group of their own-or running away from the area.
Question on this line-do weaker victims join together in prison?
Do they some times change from victim into attacker?

WW

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »

Hey all,

Try this one, and evidence-based approach for schools to reduce bullying. It works:

http://www.colorado.edu/cspv/publications/factsheets/blueprints/FS-BPM09.pdf

Cut and paste, as usual, for the PDF fact sheet.

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »

I think of bullying behaviour like this. The bully has a view on what is right and what is wrong. What is right, is whats right for him, regardless of anyone else. What is wrong is whats is wrong for him. The bedrock of teaching right and wrong is public praise when they behave well and a good verbal bollocking in private when they don't.

Bad behaviour must have consequences. Good behaviour must be rewarded.

I was brought up with words and phrases like please, thank you, that's appreciated.
When I used them I was told I was a good boy...I loved it.

I'm still good now ! mostly ?

Webby..   

Download