W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 22, 2018, 08:10:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MRI Disarms Pistol from officer  (Read 2449 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
MRI Disarms Pistol from officer
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »

Pretty interesting tale...

http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1092

What cha' think?

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: MRI Disarms Pistol from officer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:54:46 PM »

I am not a expert in firing a wpn such as this but as the story is related it appears that as stated dont bring a wpn into a place such as was discribed. Very fortunate that no one was hit. WW

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:52:38 AM »

The weapon did a lot of things it was not supposed to do with locks and safety devices on.
The weapon was in a state of readiness with a round in the chamber and trigger to the rear with the thumb lock engaged.

So technically if the magnet just pulled the weapon to the machine and the magnet had no real influence on the workings of the weapon,then perhaps the weapon ,if in that same state of readiness, were dropped or thrown and the weapon hit the same place of impact on the pistol frame as it did when it hit the machine,perhaps that too would cause a discharge ?

Future actions:
Do not prepare to hand a Pistol to someone else to lock away ,or put said readied weapon down with a round in the chamber and the trigger set to the rear.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »

I talked to my wife  who has some previous knowledge about MRIs-her comment was suspend the police officer-repremand the operator and they are both jerks- thats her story and she is sticking with it- WW

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »

That is pretty wild! Funny how they keep referring to it as a "1991" instead of a 1911.

I used to run hyperbaric chambers in a hospital, and the restrictions on what can be brought into one of those are just as stringent (although a bit different in nature). A lapse in detection of this nature would cost me my job, and that's even without something bad happening.

Jamie Flory

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »

That is pretty wild! Funny how they keep referring to it as a "1991" instead of a 1911.

Colt 1991 is a different pistol than the 1911.  Its basically a 1911 that is designed around a double stack magazine.  I've only ever seen one, not sure how long they were made.

Jamie

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »

Colt 1991 is a different pistol than the 1911.  Its basically a 1911 that is designed around a double stack magazine.  I've only ever seen one, not sure how long they were made.

Jamie

Ah, upon closer inspection, I was mistaken.

Download