W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 22, 2018, 09:58:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moving Targets?  (Read 3245 times)

neljohn

• Level 2
Moving Targets?
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »

Hi guys

One of the answers Joe H gave me on one of my questions made me think that this would be a good topic for debate.

Moving targets.....Nobody keeps their head still so that the enemy can just take potshots and tee off...Heads move therefore as Joe put it we can't be sure of the one strike KO....

So let talk strategies and tactics forget about techniques for now. The planning and doing is the topic.

1. Attack and keep attacking without interruption
2. Forward Drive

Please add your thoughts!

neljohn

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Re: Moving Targets?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 04:25:50 AM »

Forward pressure: Yes

Attack without interuptions: Yes, but...you need to be aware of your mission, which should include:

- Stop violence before it happens
- Stop violence while it is happening
- Stop violence after it happens- secondary threats

With that said, with any attack or counter attack strategy, you need to build in a use of force model so you don't end up in the "grey bar" motel.

You also need to understand how to manipulate your opponent's base.  Most of this subject matter is available here:

http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product333.html

Hope that helps.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »

good question-and without talking specific tactics here are a couple thoughts..

Sense i am in the business of instructing how to respond to a attack  i work on the following with the student. Use Hocks civil defense thoughts at all times.

1-Be in alert yellow outside the home.
2-If you observe a particular unusual person/persons do not enter their area of influence
3-If the threat is closer go into alert red
4-when threat is severe one has to act before they do-by either attacking or leaving the area.
5-practise atttacking a moving target-by the following.
   a-back to a hanging bag-have a partner pull the bag back and when it cmes forward hitting you  move turn attack
   b-stand in normal postion-have the attacker come towards you-as you attack they move to side and continue comming-you respond
   c-this one is important... given to me by a 5th group SF -
      have a plan.
         1-primary
         2-alternate
         3-emergancy
   d-get someone who can work with student on use of body to bob,slip,use elbows/forarms to block or strike the general target as the partner moves head/body

hope those makes sense- Whitewolf (ELB) speed of light

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »

To me:
Be Aware
Avoid people,groups or areas that look like potential situations.

To me:
 I do not train for an exchange.(anexchange is:they strike,kick or move and I respond and then they respond to my response to them)
I do not train for allowing the attacker to have free movement.
I train to close the gap
Get inside the attackers kicking and punching/striking range
Deal with the attacker from inside his weapons,close up,and strike in close to prevent much movement by the attacker.
The head is not a specific target to me.(I am not striking at the head to try and cause injury or knockout)
If I am inside and drive a palm heel to the chin or jaw,I will allow the fingers to slide up into the eys as I control the head and drive it back,over and down.
If I am inside and can wrap or lock an arm,I will then have access to an almost non moving head and that will provide the ability to strike,throat,neck,jaw,nose,eyes,control of the head to twist and turn,all done while I attack the attackers knees from front,side or rear and drive the attacker down.

Remove the attackers balance,take targets that will stop an exchange and that will stop the attackers movements.
Get up close and personal and take the fight to the place where most people are not comfortable with fighting from,inside and close,as seen in the combat Judo manual posted under the section titled that on this forum.

Look at Hocks Materials.

Look at Joe Hubbards videos,from his street survival tool box video and his other materials.
example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnx1Qafi0Y&feature=related

Look at the clips and materials of Glenn Zwiers,(another of Hocks Instructors):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFx35ZAjnqg

Reduce and or eliminate the need for distance sparring and an exchange.
Most real street situations that happen quickly happen at close range and should be dealt with in that range.

my opinion

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »

JimH-Joe- we could write a chapter for Hocks new book that he could publish-it appears that we all are on the same page more or less.

For example- i teach that as you said-palm to chin area-then move that hand right up to
the eye level.

I also was taught and pass it on  to get inside-then fire the cannons off-get ahead of the attacker-

I tell the student change from the victim into the attacker.....

Dont stop untill the victim is in control of the situation-

I also advacate to get the hell away from the opponent when you have a chance to.

Aim for large target not a small one.

Whitewolf (elb) speed of light

neljohn

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:41:52 PM »

Ok so when standing clse the gap, yes?

But then there are only a few tools that can be used. O the kickers will hate this close range stuff.....lol

But I love it....hammerfist elbows

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 02:24:33 AM »

Close the gap while standing, open the gap while grounded.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 05:03:37 AM »

if hurt when assaulted continue to fight-very important to survival-fake injury then counter attack-
think like a preditor
practise in public think what whould i do if person comming towards me attacked??
practise moving in a L not just straight back when confronted
watch the hands  not the eyes
think "speed of light"- not as silly as it sounds- :-X
   As it works
Something i do and dont know how it sounds but name your tactics so you can relate
the name to something that corresponds to it (instead of numbers)
i.e.- using your arm to move to a certain position quickly -would be "shooting star "the student understands the concept and does the ta ctic. (works for me)..

One that really goes over with the females is what i call "jenifer Lopez"-use of the elbow-
they all immediately pick this one up easily- its use of the elbow in a double grab-

I found that relating to names like the  above make it easier to teach students who never took anything like unarmed self defense before.

whitewolf (elb)- speed of light

neljohn

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 06:46:50 AM »

Thanks for the input guys!!!!  ;D

Download