W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 24, 2018, 01:01:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combatives  (Read 4044 times)

neljohn

• Level 2
Combatives
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:28:32 AM »

Hi guys, just had a training session wow was hard took a cracker on the chin.

My question is when we talk about closing the gap while we're standing should we latch on to our opponent or not. I tried it today and thought it helps with  distance and helping with accuracy. Your thoughts please

neljohn

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Combatives
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:57:45 AM »

JMO-of course if you are close -you make contact and be aggressive-strike/off balance him and sweep-push- trip or bowl him over to ground-dont just stand and let him smack you (as you said a cracker on the chin- ;D)
Who is your personal mentor or instructor- have them work with you on this.
god luck- whitewolf (elb) speed of light

neljohn

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »

WW

I didn't just stand there and allow my opponent to whack me I made a mistake dropped my hand and took a shot. We we're working on closing the distance when your opponent is throwing bombs at you. I took the shot yes but still managed to drive forward with very effective straight punches followed by a neck twist takedown. I even got a forearm strike in there somewhere...lol.

I was just thinking about  grabbing his head and hitting which stopped him from back pedaling out of range.

neljohn

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:18:19 AM »

I misunderstood as you said you were just standing there- anyone can get tagged-as long as we learn from it-stay  safe  WW

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »

Situatioans dictate response.

When one trains to close the gap against a swinging opponent this,to me ,is from an altercation which to me is an agreed to fight which happens in a bar or club.
It starts with verbal,escalates to physical and then with contact/fight.

This takes one of the parties to jump to contact before the other,many times it is the one who wants the fight the most.
If you do not want to fight you are now responding to the attack,defensive,and you must quickly move in make body contact and drive the opponent back and take away their offensive position.
You must then attack and continue to attack until the threat is ended.
The closing of the gap in this case is not to attempt to block strikes and try to exchange until you get the upper hand.
This is to Jut in,while covering the head and just blast the opponent with a full on body strike,with full weight and intent behind it,upset the mind set and physical position of the opponent and take the offensive,attack,wrap an arm,strike,strike and use legs against their knees and down them.

If the attack is a true street attack in which the opponent moves in and then makes a threat to  injure you if you do not comply and go with them,or hand over your money or items then you feign compliance,and cause their gueard to go down,amking them believe you will cooperate,then you strike first,preempt thir thought of striking and you get rid of the threat quickly with a fast,massive assault of strikes,and get away.

In a street confrontation:
always happens at close range,inside kicking range.
Our hands are up
Hamds open
Palms showing
If the attacker kicks off we charge in and intercep the attack and we secure a limb,trip,throw or continue to strike.
(as in the clips I recently posted in the moving target thread featuring Joe Hubbard,Zwiers)
And this by Blauer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMBml28pDs

We can go from hands up and slightly extended, to immediate cover of head and face,charge in with a SPEAR type move,wrap,strike and down the opponent in short time.
We should not be looking to create distance,to kick and strike or exchange against the attacker.
We should immediately move in,close the gap,take the strike they throw just so WE can get superior position and for us to be offensive and they to be defensive.

My opinion
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:54:51 PM by JimH »

neljohn

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »

Thanks guys, JimH I agree totally. The focus of our training session was, training for the ambush attack. So I am walking down the street get punched now I'm on the back foot hands up in stance and have to gain the advantage asap.

I will strike preemptive however we all make mistakes and are not always 100% aware. So this was for when we get it wrong and are in the fight before we know it.

Please keep the great comments coming! ;D

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »

Netjohn...

You've been ambushed and punched and now back on your feet? This is no longer a "pre-emptive strike" situation.
You might think about:
http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product425.html

Plus, Joe Hubbard's next seminar by you is all about these subjects.

On another note- A good idea would be to grab a big mug of coffee and sit read through the threads in this unarmed combatives section. I know it would be quite laborious, but many of these recent topics have been discussed here since 2005 with lots of good opinions.

Hock

neljohn

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:38:28 AM »

Hi Hock I wasn't training for the preemptive strike. I know that is the best option for survival. We were training for when the fight had already started.  ;D ;D

Keep the comments coming please!

neljohn

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:18:17 AM »

Good discussion. Some basic advice I always got- hands up, chin tucked. Don't lead with your chin. I think this applies with closing the distance. Also, fake high, go low. If the guy is not an experienced fighter- it usually works well. Another thing, - in your scenario the other guy knew what you were going to do which makes it harder. It sounds like good training.

neljohn

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:09:11 AM »

Yes he knew I would try and close in on him. But if I can while he is expecting it, it would be easier when they don't.

I now understand why Nick H uses that screening type block/cower when he moves.

Guys get Nick's DVDs their great!

neljohn

Download