W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 25, 2018, 07:45:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CROSSDRAW  (Read 1779 times)

Bryan

CROSSDRAW
« on: August 14, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on the Crossdraw so lets hear it? Is it something you like? Something you hate? Something you carry?

Here is a good article on the subject but I would like to hear from the forum members,,,,

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0101.html

redfive

• Level 3
Re: CROSSDRAW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »

Well , i didn't even know they had a cross draw specific holster. I carry cross draw 90% of the time. Because I have to be concealed per the license. My guns leave very little profiling in the cross draw as compared to right to right or left hand to left hip. Its more comfortable for me also. gun parts around rubbing into me and I can wear it more towards the front. For winter or jacket weather the cross draw allows me to get things out of the way with the right hand and draw with the left insted of having to try to cross clear with the right or left clear and left draw. As far as all the fine tuning stuff, your movement is to long or your crossing the target path and all that. Who cares bullets are going to fly anyway I get my gun out. And as with all our training hear in the SFC, cover cover cover. So once I have cover and distance who the hell cares how I get my gun out as long as the barrel is not pointed my way. I carry in my back pocket. holster in the paints, holster on the out side of the paints front pocket, in the boot. Even got lazy at the ranch and carried on the outside of the boot for a while. That way when I sit to take a rest on my 5 gallon bucket, its right there. But I do like the cross draw. Just feels good to me.

Redfive
" God bless spell check"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:26:10 PM by redfive »

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »

Too bad ol Spiff isn't with us anymolre. He could fill everyone in on "cross dressing" :P
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Jamie Flory

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »

As the article pointed out, crossdrawing is easier from a sitting or squatting position.  This is why it was used so frequently in the American west by horsemen.  Cowboys, cavalry officers traveling lawmen; anyone expecting to spend large amounts of time in a saddle.  I know at least 2 long haul truckers that carry crossdraw so they can access their pistol while driving (they were both drivers during the trucker strike of the mid 80's).  I know I've looked at plenty of studies about reaction time of crossdraw vs. strong draw, but i do agree with Redfives point, carry where it's comfortable.

Jamie

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »

As a detective, I would sometimes pull my gun from the right hip holster and stick it over to the left hip side, when driving, if I had to have a bad guy in the passenger seat in the front with me. Hey shit happens and they have to ride there sometimes. Long stories. Informants...semi-suspects....

The two biggest problems with a crossdraw, belt of shoulder,

-is that when you pull the gun, you often muzzle/laser everyone and thing between
   the holster and the bad guy. Itchy trigger finger? Oops! You shot the hostage instead
   of the bad guy.

- EASY takeaway by a bad gun who reaches out to your handle and pulls the gun out.

Hock

redfive

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »

That brings up a question for you Hock. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, during my street racing days. When I would get pulled over by the state troopers. In the cool cameros and vets. The troopers would always have me come site in there cars while they ran my license and registration. I"m left handed and that's the first thought that came to my mind, is that his gun is sitting right there. They still used the revolvers with standard holsters, no levels of locking. I don't no if they still do that or not. It just always seemed strange to me. No other agencies did that. We would both be looking at the old computer screen as my info would pop up. How bad would it be to be looking across the seat at a guy who was wonted on capital murder charges as that popped up on the screen. But it would make more since to do that and move your gun then to the left side.

Redfive
well as I typed this I forgot my question

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »

"...But by the grave of God" did we all go.

No bullet proof vest.
No retention devices on holsters.
Letting violators into your car for ticket writing (lots of attacks happened then). That practice has been STOPPED years ago. Too dangerous.

I do think it would be weird, in uniform to unholster your weapon and stick it on your left side for any front seat interview. People seeing the empty holster...weird.

But today? No one should be allowed in the cars like that.

Hock

Download