W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 20, 2018, 12:42:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Muscle memory?  (Read 5228 times)

Dawg

• Level 4
Muscle memory?
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »

Funny thing happened at class last night. We were doing some handgun disarms and I was emphasizing on not stopping when you acquire the gun but to continue to fight until your opponent is down and you're clear to inspect the weapon, or draw your own. Popeye, the unlucky guy I was demonstrating on, had gotten up, after I had taken him down, while I had turned to talk to the class. Before I realized what was going on, I executed a spinning back kick to his midsection and was swinging the handgun in for a back-handed pistol whip. I stopped before I hit him with the training pistol (he had dropped to his knees after the kick) and turned back to the class to see a bunch of wide open eyes.
"I said to keep on fighting until your opponent was down!" Everybody got to work pretty quickly.

I thought that was pretty funny. I rarely work spinning kicks anymore; it just came out of nowhere.

No big deal; just thought it was funny. I wish I had gotten it on video.
Nowhere near as cool as Hock's pocket catch with a knife disarm, but interesting. Made me wonder just how many times I've thrown a spinning back kick over the years.

Hmmm...
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Muscle memory?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »

Dawg-u can show me this the 25th but for now does the attacker have ahold of you or are u holding him- after the gun is taken away?
How far is he approx when u did the sppining back kick?
i would not do a spinning back kick as i would probably fall on my ass :D
WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »

I had thrown him to the ground and had the gun in my hand. I had turned away from him to explain something (can't remember what, exactly ???) to the class, and I guess he got up too quickly and was moving towards me from the edge of my peripheral vision when...BOOM!

I don't know which one of us was surprised the most.

I'm just glad I was able to pull it a bit before it landed. I guess he had closed to about one step behind me; I had already moved about two steps away from him after the disarm before I turned towards the class.

i would not do a spinning back kick as i would probably fall on my ass :D

I'm rather surprised I didn't myself!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »

Gotya-thanks
When I come to Talahoma Ill show you the tactic I learned from a Mr Alex Wilkie -its how you rip the forehead down to the chin with the front sight
WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:17:37 PM »

Sounds like a winner!

I'll be coming up there to train by myself, BTW. If you think an old squid and an older jarhead can get along for two days without killing each other, maybe we can pair up.

Although, I do out weigh you by about 70 lbs., so I understand if you want to find someone closer to your own size (just makes learning new stuff easier).

Gonna be a good time! ;D

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »

70 lbs-are u kidding me-I will tatoo a USMC on your posteria= :D
WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »

Yeah...

Just like a jarhead. Everybody else is talking about unarmed combatives, and you want to talk about tattooing my rear end.

Come to think of it...that is kind of scary!

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »

Wait, you guys are gonna be at the Tullahoma seminar?  Man...maybe I'll have to make it too.  I know I want to get to at least one this year.

Other than that, cool story, Dawg.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »

Tullahoma?
http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product331.html
This is a strict, non-stop, hard-core theme and hopefully a good work out.

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »

kentbob-i would really like to shake your hand-also u can help me put that tatoo on dawg rear- :D :D

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »

Let me shake your hand before you do any tattooing.  Or whatever they're calling it nowadays.

Hock, if that's what it's going to be, then I think I may make it my intent to go there this year.

Kent

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16:32 AM »

Let me shake your hand before you do any tattooing.  Or whatever they're calling it nowadays.

That reminds me of Ryan Reynold's character in "Blade:Trinity". Too funny!

Kentbob,
I hope you decide to make it out to TN; been wanting to meet you for some time.

P.S.
Arnold's gonna be SO jealous!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 05:34:17 AM »

Can we talk Arnold into the trip? That would be great -then we would have me-Kentbob and Arnold the bold warrior all working the tatoo- u would have aa had time with the 3 of us- ;D-WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 05:45:57 AM »

I really don't think I have anything to worry about as far as Kentbob and Arnold wanting anything to do with tattoing my backside. ::)

Just because I say, "I love you, man", that doesn't mean I LOVE you, man!

Get it?

Even a jarhead needs to understand that "No" means "No!"

(It would be cool if Arnold could make it...and brings some "St. Arnolds" with him! ;D)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »

Dawg-what time the 11th-ill make the resevation next week for motel near black eagle- WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »

We'll be starting at 0930. Some machete and basic knife drills on the warpost, Level 2 & 3 SDMS review, unarmed against the knife and some PAC material. We'll wrap up by 1230 and hit Chili's for some Sam Adams and a training debrief.

Other than that, cool story, Dawg.  Thanks for sharing.

I was hoping to inspire others to share some similar stories. Have you ever been demonstrating combatives, and suddenly switched to a more traditional type of technique instead of what you had planned? Or, been teaching a traditional or sport technique, and inexplicably changed to a combative finish?

I find myself blending things on a regular basis these days and was just wondering if that was a common occurrence among members of the forum.

Just curious.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

Sometimes it's hard for me to switch gears right away.  I'll tell someone I'm going to go easy on 'em, and it takes me a couple run throughs before I start pulling the blows.  I usually only leave welts, though, nothing serious.  Possibly this is a control issue, but partially muscle memory as well.

Kent

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:55 AM »

Hey, do you or anyone else reflexively block or dodge something when you see or sense it coming towards your face?  And not in the common instinctive fence block, but in a trained manner?  My family and friends will reach out towards me all the time and I just react as if they were punching at me.  Part of it is hypervigilance, but I think the other part is definitely muscle memory.  Just a thought.

Kent

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »

Yep.

If something is unexpectedly moving towards the face at a high rate of speed, I would imagine that's a pretty common reaction among most of us. As far as someone reaching towards me, I've calmed down a bit the last few years and usually just deflect or pass the encroaching object away.

Unfortunately, my hearing has really gotten worse since my retirement, and a few of the guys have become painfully aware that it is a bad idea to startle me. I do a lot of work with my eyes glued to a microscope, and it's common knowledge here on the airfield that you knock and make sure I know you're there before you come near me. You should do that for anyone whose job requires a lot of concentration, just as a professional courtesy anyway.

I have also scared the crap out of a few people who have startled me in the parking lot. I either pick up on the sudden movement in the reflection of vehicle windows, or I hear a sudden tapping or thumping of feet where there wasn't any previously. When I turn towards the potential threat, I guess I have my "game face" on, from the surprised reactions I receive. I just apologize (big smile, BIG smile) and everyone seems to relax again pretty quickly. I try to teach my girls about parking lots being a "danger zone" and to be on guard; not the place to be oblivious to your surroundings. I guess, for once, I'm taking my own advice.

Oops! I'm rambling; sorry about that. The caffeine is doing it's job this morning! ;D

GermMaster

• Forum Member
    • Night Vision & Night Combat
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 03:40:53 AM »

Muscle memory is what we want to achieve and this is the reason why we are repetitive when we're training.  We want to be able to act faster than we can think.  However, not to the point of throwing somebody to the ground when he's just playing "guess who?" on you. :)
I do not believe in using women in combat, because females are too fierce. - Margaret Mead
I believe in the importance of night combat. Most crimes are done at night, right?

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 01:53:22 PM »

Muscle memory is what we want to achieve and this is the reason why we are repetitive when we're training.  We want to be able to act faster than we can think.  However, not to the point of throwing somebody to the ground when he's just playing "guess who?" on you. :)

Why not?

Good "free" training. ;)

Download