W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 19, 2018, 12:08:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thai kicks  (Read 2161 times)

Crafty

• Level 2
Thai kicks
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »

Mike tyson on thai kicks and his respect for randy coutre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupO694JR5U&feature=player_embedded#!

Black Knife

• Forum Member
    • Python Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Re: Thai kicks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »

Thai kicks are devastating when done correctly. As we all know, Muay Thai kicks are done differently than other martial arts. The power is generated from the hips and the swinging of the arm and not from the bending of the knee like most Karate styles. Also the kicks are done with the shins and not the instep of the leg. I enjoy Muay Thai (Art of The Eight Limbs) and I consider it the best form of empty handed fighting there is.

Muay Thai is getting more popular these days because of MMA events shown on television. However the fans don't get to see true Muay Thai just a watered down version to fit into MMA tactics.
"The worst type of enemy to encounter is one that does not avoid death but welcomes it"

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »

Most of my striking fundamentals are from Muay Thai and began with it. The round kicks are what sets Muay Thai apart from most martial arts. Out of all the kicks taught in Muay Thai, the round kick was the easiest for me to learn. Perhaps, there is a kickboxing style from Cambodia similar to Muay Thai called Pradal Suray. Only difference is that it is more technical and it prefers striking the head with the toes than the shin as well as the use of a double uppercut and jumping downward elbow strike.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:52:34 PM by VicMackey »
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:54:49 PM »

Thai kicks are devastating when done correctly. As we all know, Muay Thai kicks are done differently than other martial arts. The power is generated from the hips and the swinging of the arm and not from the bending of the knee like most Karate styles. Also the kicks are done with the shins and not the instep of the leg. I enjoy Muay Thai (Art of The Eight Limbs) and I consider it the best form of empty handed fighting there is.

Muay Thai is getting more popular these days because of MMA events shown on television. However the fans don't get to see true Muay Thai just a watered down version to fit into MMA tactics.

Muay Thai is not only popular because of MMA, but also because of K-1. And Muay Thai is also very big in Holland and produced a lot of dominant Dutch kickboxers such as Ernesto Hoost, Peter Aerts, Alistair Overeem, etc.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:37:16 PM by VicMackey »
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

Download