W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 24, 2018, 12:44:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Contemporary Knife Targeting" on sale...thoughts?  (Read 3551 times)

sarguy

• Level 4
"Contemporary Knife Targeting" on sale...thoughts?
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:03:07 AM »

Paladin Press is having a 40% off sale this week. I've been hemming and hawing about getting Contemporary Knife Targeting: Modern Science vs. W.E. Fairbairn's Timetable of Death by Christopher Grosz and Michael D Janich

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Contemporary_Knife_Targeting/Knife_and_sword_Fighting

Being a medical type, an analysis of this sort interests me. Anyone read this book? Any thoughts? Just wondering, before I spend my $$ on it (I should just be buying Hock's Knife book...)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: "Contemporary Knife Targeting" on sale...thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:07:15 AM »

Sarguy-just a thought-get the CD from Hock that shows a Indian style of knife fighting-(get the newer one)-it shows targets  plus some defenses-worth the money-also get Hocks book you mentoned0between the 2 of gthem you really have some real world
tactics- (JMHO)-stay  safe- WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »

Are we talking about bleed out times here? if so that would depend on a number of factors. I think that is a book that I would get just for the sake of interest.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:39 AM »

Most of it is dated material now. 

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »

Fairbarn's knife book? Old and outdated. Get it ONLY for historical collection.

Janich's Timetable DVD is much better and smarter. In summary though? It sucks to be cut or stabbed and you could die real fast or less fast. A better book and philosophy could be called, "It Ain't Over Till It's Over." Much like a shoot-out. I also am not sure why its called "contemporary?"

Belding's India DVD is a mostly a study in history and martial art. Esoteric. If you want modern practical, tactical unarmed vs the knife? Get this - http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product256.html

In my new Knife/Counter-Knife book, (NOT that old, outdated knife book from the 1990s that should be burned) I don't not count the seconds of bleed-outs but instead have a chapter on high-yield kills. I don't want to put an anal retentive stop watch on bleed outs. Life (or death) and a knife fight is too chaotic to even worry about it. (but get Janich's video, its interesting to watch, I am not saying don't get it)

Hock

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:03:25 AM by Hock »

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:12:06 AM »

Thanks for the input. I guess what it comes down to is the spending the $$ for a book for the "academic" pursuit of the (theoretical, albeit updated) bleed-out time, versus spending $$ for a similar academic study of "high yield" kills AND training material.

Now that I'm aware of the chapter in Hock's book, I think I'll go in that direction and put the other book on hold.

Adventure

• Level 4
    • Stay Alive Program inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »

I have the Book and found it very interesting. Confirms what I have seen in EMS over the years.

Mike J. makes the distinction between "Stopping Power" & "Killing" and that they are not the same.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:19:26 PM by Adventure »

Download