W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 24, 2014, 07:00:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Palm Strikes  (Read 1484 times)

neljohn

• Level 2
Palm Strikes
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:09:48 AM »

Hi Guys I know targets move. And hands break hitting the ducking head with a closed fist. Now I have been hit in the forehead well more like the eyebrow line just above the nose (in between the eyes) with a palm strike and it did the damage. Is it not therefore obvious that palms to the head is better than closed hands?

Just a thought. Why do people argue the toss about open hands vs closed fist?

neljohn

Webby

• Level 4
Re: Palm Strikes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:57:44 AM »

There's a sound logic to using a palm heel strike as opposed to a closed fist.
Let's start before the physical attack stage. you hear a sudden noise, your hand's fly up to your head ( relax response ) fingers open. You are confronted your hands stretch out toward your opponent this shows A. Stay away B. Stay calm C. I am not a treat.( With the added bonus of looking good on C.C.T.V you are clearly the one under criminal attack and not the criminal ).
The next move to palm heel striking is natural.
Punching someone with a closed fist in the head is not desirable. It makes little sense to me as we have 36 bones in the human hand, carpiles, meta caps, Flangees. His head is basically a bone helmet. Let's say a punch doe's work. Remember Mike Tyson's fight out of the ring with Mitch Green. Green looked battered but Tyson's hand was a mess.
What would have happened if Green's mates had jumped in at that point. You can't fight with a busted hand but you can palm heel all day without hurting yourself.
As sure a God made apple's everyone will disagree with this. Don't shoot the messenger.....Webby         

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:44:16 AM »

Neljohn-Web makes sense- i also think that most people have been subjected to the
"Boxing " style sense they were children so it is a natural response to close fist and strike-look at MMA bouts-they have gloves on and make a fist-look at school yard fights- same thing- no one fishts with a palm strike- in our class I always start out by teaching use of the palm over and over-jab,cross upper cut-with the pam to the mitt-i show the students that in close they can generate more power safely  this way.
JMHO whitewolf

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »

If you put finger bag gloves on so the padding is on the inside of the palm it aids the students in palm striking. A palm heel can be a stop, a gentle push, a firm push, a strike. Depending on the amount of effort you put into it, which we hope should be proportionate to A. The nature of the situation. B. The relate strength of the parties involved and C. The type of crime being committed. If a person has hand's of stone and they have been trained as a boxer, best stick to punching. You won't undo deep muscle memory training like boxing. People like to use closed fist style because it's part of a weapon carry system, knife, gun, stick etc. However if you are unarmed, female, smaller than your opponent a palm heel strike to the nose is a powerful combat tool.

Webby.. 

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:12:48 AM »

Open hand strikes work and are effective if delvered to vunerable target areas,face,nose,ear,temple,side of neck to name a few.

Look at some you tube clips of Bas Rutten and see his effective use of open hand strikes.
Bas advocates open hand over closed fist in a lot of his materials.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »

Download