W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 16, 2018, 01:04:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Knife killings in Canada  (Read 3226 times)

Canuk

• Level 4
Knife killings in Canada
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:48:24 PM »

Stabbings outpaced shootings as the leading method for homicides in Canada last year.

Statistics Canada figures released on Tuesday show 210 of the year's 610 police-reported homicides were a result of stabbings.

Shootings claimed 179 victims, 29 fewer than in 2008.

The 12% decrease reverses what had been an upward trend of firearm deaths recorded between 2002-2008, StatsCan said.

The number of annual homicides in Canada has been relatively stable since 1999. There was only one more victim last year than in 2008.

The national homicide rate per 100,000 population peaked in the mid-1970s before beginning to decline through to 1999.

Most of last year's homicide victims knew their killer, according to the figures.

Of the 454 homicides police solved in 2009, 14% of victims were killed by a spouse, 19% by another family member and 39% by an acquaintance.

Strangers were responsible for about 18% of the deaths.

Manitoba had the highest homicide rate for the third consecutive year. Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador had the lowest rates.

Abbotsford-Mission, B.C., had the highest homicide rate among Canadian metropolitan areas. Thunder Bay in northern Ontario ranked second while Winnipeg was third.

There were 124 gang-related homicides last year, a decrease of 14.

But the number of killings committed by young people aged 12-17 rose by 23 to 78. It's the second highest rate of youth killers in 30 years.

Webby

• Level 4
Re: Knife killings in Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:01:57 AM »

I remember reading about Hell's Angels vs each other and fighting other gangs like Rock Machine. Is that stuff still going on, because it was a growing body count at one time.

Also is there any knife amnesty programmes or anti-knife campaign groups I'm interrested because they don't work in the U.K ( I think that there a waste of money to be truthful ) but if there working in Canada it would be helpful to see what there doing differently.

Lol Webby     

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:06 AM »

Ya the Gangs are still at it, the HA's are big in my area, although not as strong as t hey once were. A few years ago there was an "internal cleaning" in a place called St Thomas. A van was found with many bodies stuffed into it.

Knife amnestey? dont see it happening, its not illegal to walk down the street and carry a knife. Its considered a tool unless its used in the commisson of an offense. It must be not be consealed however.   

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »

Canuk, Where in Canada are you?  I am in BC

Hepcat
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »

Here in the area where I  live (Tn) they just had a big two year undercover operation completed  where they arrested a biker club tht was heavy into drugs an other things-
the clubs are still here  they just are a little more less suspicious than a few years ago.
WW

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:48:36 AM »

Canuk, Where in Canada are you?  I am in BC

Hepcat

Ontario, at the center of the Universe

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »

Sorry to hear that <GRIN>.  Hear y'all throw a heck of a G20 party in Toronto!
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:22:19 AM »

lol we try our best to please everyone

Download