W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 25, 2018, 12:45:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grabbing the Gun  (Read 4921 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Grabbing the Gun
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »

I just put up a new video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58f8X-FLKHw

Check it out!

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Grabbing the Gun
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »

I wrote this on the comments on you tube
"Excellent way to start a class on gun takeaways-"then start the actual takeaway"
or words to that effect.
Just about everyone who takes my class asks a question relating to the slide and will it burn or hurt you.
I recommend if you can do a vidio on grabbing a wrist with a knife in it and what may occur.
Thanks for sending this on - WW

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:29:22 AM »

Thanks for the positive feedback on the video I posted.  I have to clarify that everyone who grabbed the gun barrel in this test were wearing gloves to avoid the burn.  The test was to see if the gun would repeatedly jam and it did ten times out of ten; each time only one round was able to fire from the gun.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:17 AM »

Nice clip Joe.

When one grabs the slide of an automatic,they should try to grab it and cover the ejection port to ensure that once the initial chambered round fires the empty casing does not eject,due to the slide not going through its full motion and  ensuring the casing does not fully eject.

If one say were to grab the slide near the front sight post,when the initial chambered round goes off the slide WILL move ,even if minimally,but this is enough for the slide to cut the hand and possible cause the victims hand to retract from the slide.

The victim must be committed fully to the grab and hold till the chambering cycle is disrupted.

Again nice clip.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:47:16 AM »

What is good also is the fact that when you show this to a student they would see that when you move to side off the center line and attack the barrel you are out of the weapons line of fire-i always tell the student that you are beating the thought process of the shooter -not the actual  trigger pull-WW

ShooterMMA

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »

You will not burn nothing, on hand will left only small black spots from burned gun powder, nothing else.
There is no need for gloves.

Second round will not go in even with average grab, no need to cover ejection port, cut can be minimal and only with light grab.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:59:02 PM by ShooterMMA »

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 05:33:44 AM »

Joe,
      What's the score if the bad guy has a revolver. Can a grab stop the rotation of the cylinder ? I've seen training with the defender putting his thumb on the guy's finger and pushing it onto the inside of the front of the trigger guard thus stopping him from pulling the trigger. I've seen some training advocating putting your hand between the cocked hammer and the breach. If a person just grab's the barrel and push's it away from him it should do the trick. What's your thought's.   

Webby...   

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »

Webby-if u dont mind ill jump in on this one-
first  you  do  not want to get any finger inside the trigger guard for any reason-plain an simple -it may get broken or your hand goes where the finger goes-therefore you may wind up on the floor- ;D
I only have stopped a automatic not a revolver but the proncipal is the same-you wrap the cylinder with your hand while the other is striking the opponent in face area-if you get the grip tight the cylinder should not move when he is attempting to pull the trigger
If the wpn is fired and you are out  of the  way one round is all that should be fired.
You then continue the takeaway-and as it is a revolver you should be able to fire it at opponent quicker than with a automatic due to not taking time to rack another round into chamber.
anyhow stay  safe- WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »

I've got that whole revolver deal filmed in Gun 8 DVD.

If you remember I grew up in a wheel gun world, and we were not allowed to carry semi-autos in Texas (and many other agencies) , or what they called "automatics" in them days. In the Army we carried .45s, but as an Army investigator they issued us snub-nose .38s. But once back in Texas, it was a wheel gun world.

A number of officers back then, while fighting with guys with revolvers have (and I believe mostly by accident) jammed a finger BEHIND the trigger and the bad guy couldn't shoot.

But the two main tricks were-

1) pinch the top of the gun so as much of your hand pinches the revolver in an effort to prevent the cylinder from turning. Four fingers grip versus his one trigger finger. You can test this out with empty revolvers.

2) try to get your thumb between the hammer and the gun if the hammer was back and try to prevent the hammer from going back.

This all sounds well but these things are inside a full-blown, two-body combat tango, and such a cha-cha often does not allow for a long-term grasp of the gun.

The revolver allows for blasts out the sides.

In the late 1990s I disarmed a .44 magnum bulldog revolver from a guy. The guy was being manhandled by a so-called "security" guy who was grabbing his gun arm. The armed guy decided to fire a warning shot into the air as I grabbed his gun arm with my right hand and for his gun with my left hand.

He fired. My head was inches from the revolver and totally wiped out the hearing in my right ear. I push/pulled the gun right out of his hand. Pushed his forearm, pulled on the pistol. I must have closed my eyes at that instant because I remember no flash.

The gun was rather high up and I could not grab it form the top as the "textbook" suggests. I could only grab it from the bottom. Nothing happened to my hand. I suspect I was reaching for it as he fired. I don't know. But later I saw that I had some small, ruptured blood vessels on the right side of head. My head must have been close that instant.

Its a rather long story and the guy was not a bad guy. Within minutes I gave him back his pistol. (I think I have written about this here somewhere.)

Scroll halfway down by October , 2009 blog page to 9 October entry and see some British Army guys holding revolvers being fired. See the burns and bruises.
http://www.hockscqc.com/blogs/10-09/index.htm

Hock
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:04:04 PM by Hock »

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

Hock- good info-real world .  WW

Download