W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 22, 2018, 02:07:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What really happens in a gun fight  (Read 1710 times)

5shot

• Level 1
Re: What really happens in a gun fight
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »

Very good article.

I am not a gun slinger or professional gun person. I read and research, and reach my conclusions on that plus my own and very limited shooting tests.

As to SS Vs PS, which is a misnomer that presuposes one is aimed shooting and one is not, Point Shooting can be Aimed PS or Un-aimed PS.

If you just point your gun at a target and pull the trigger, that's Un-aimed PS, or as it's often called instinctive shooting. Makes sense, because in gunfight videos, you will see Officers doing just that, and with the recognized miss rate of > 80%.

There also are PS methods such as P&S, or QK, or FAS, which are quick and easy to learn, and which use an aiming technique, and as such are Aimed PS methods.

Here's a link to an article I just put together on:

WHY IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO USE SIGHT SHOOTING IN SELF DEFENSE
IN CLOSE QUARTERS LIFE THREAT SITUATIONS.

http://www.pointshooting.com/1adefend.htm

Here is part of it:

The study of thousands of close quarters Police combat cases, and scientific studies of our reactions to life threats, have established that Sight Shooting is not used or can not be used in self defense in close quarters life threat situations. That's reality.

First, if you believe there is a threat to your life in a close quarters situation, your instinctive Fight or Flight response will be automatically activated in an effort to save your life. The activation results in several immediate physiological and mental changes.

Two of the changes are the loss of the use of fine motor skills, and the loss of the ability to focus on near objects like the sights, both of which are needed for Sight Shooting.

Fine motor skills are lost to use when the heart rate reaches about 130 BPM, and in a life threat situation, the heart rate will at a minimum go over 145 BPM.

The ciliary muscle of the eye maintains the convex shape of the lens, which allows us to focus on near objects like the sights. When the Fight of Flight response is activated, there is a dump of adrenaline into the blood stream which causes the ciliary muscle to relax. The eye lens flattens and our ability to focus on objects changes from near objects to far objects like a threat.

Second, by definition, self defense requires that one be reacting to a threat.

So if a person says Sight Shooting was used in self defense in a close quarters life threat situation, he or she would be in error; because to be able to use Sight Shooting, he or she would not have believed it was a life threat situation.

Could there be exceptions, sure, but they can be expected to be rare. Sight Shooting has been taught for 100+ years to millions and millions. Yet there are no pics or videos of it being used effectively in a close quarters life threat situation. There should be hundreds to thousands of them, but they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Here's a link to a write up of an interview with a Chicago PD veteran of 14 gunfights. Guess what shooting method he trains in.
http://www.pointshooting.com/1astasch.htm

The bottom line is that if and when adrenaline is in your system, your eye focus will change and stay that way untill the adrenaline is gone or neutralized.

So, if you are a normal person with blood in your veins, best to learn some form of Aimed Point Shooting, not Un-aimed Point Shooting.

Just makes sense to me if one wants to keep breathing regularly.

It also doesn't mean you can't use SS if there is time to use it, and environmental conditons allow for its use.

Download