W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 21, 2018, 07:10:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scary Tac Folder  (Read 10424 times)

Bryan

Scary Tac Folder
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
Re: Scary Tac Folder
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »

A "real" knife that I would not:

Use in the desert for opening MREs

Carry for everyday self-defense

Use to cut paracord

Train with on my warpost

Use to cut open packages from UPS

Use to open beer bottles

So, yeah, it's "real"...real pretty.  At $2800, not real useful for everyday life. 

I prefer this

http://www.1sks.com/store/benchmade-556-pink.html

Much more suitable for everyday situations.  And still pretty.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »

pretty, but nowhere near as good looking as the Super Hero "The Bob"
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Bryan

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »

A "real" knife that I would not:

Use in the desert for opening MREs

Carry for everyday self-defense

Use to cut paracord

Train with on my warpost

Use to cut open packages from UPS

Use to open beer bottles

So, yeah, it's "real"...real pretty.  At $2800, not real useful for everyday life. 

I prefer this

http://www.1sks.com/store/benchmade-556-pink.html

Much more suitable for everyday situations.  And still pretty.

Kent

Kent, I take back anything good I ever wrote about you, your nothing but a cunt.

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »

LOL!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:50 AM »

There's a market for pink and girly self-defense product's. A lot of women are put off by black and metallic stuff, macho names extra.

If you had a pink stun-gun and called it the lady's best friend or something it would sell !

Webby

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »

I think the lady's friend vibrates.

And everybody knows that if it's not pink it's not tactical.

Bryan

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »

The knife is a 100% functional piece of art made by one of the greatest bladesmiths in the history of the world. I don't believe anyone in the business would argue Don was not one of the top ten living bladesmiths in the United States. He is also in the running for one of the top ten all time bladesmiths in the United States. From his fighters to his elephant toes he is a master of the craft.

Trying to turn this into some silly argument about is a insult to the craft and craftsman. If people don't like me that's fine, if you got amateur ideas about steel and want to write like a moron, go for it. Just don't confuse functional art and appreciating it as being out of touch with practicality, no same same.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »

"Piece of art"

I'm not in the habit of depending on $2800 "pieces of art" for everyday use.  So...that makes this knife effectively useless to me and a whole host of other people, whereas the Benchmade mini-Griptilian (mine is actually in superhero Purple) is a fine, pretty piece for everyday use, for everything that I listed and more.  I said the knife was pretty...more than once I think...

You didn't title the post "artistic tac folder" it was "scary tac folder".  I expected it would either be horrible quality, or a new practical folder from one of the big companies.  Once again, I would like to point out that you're an idiot, this time because you apparently don't know how to use English to say what you mean.

I don't know Don, but apparently he does good work.  He also makes stuff that I contend is impractical.

Kent

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »

I knew it was purple! ;D
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02:08 AM »

I knew it was purple! ;D

Anything less would be...uncivilized.

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:10:02 AM »

I have this: NOT IN SUPERHERO PURPLE

Now...if you take your grinder, and cut that hole out...leaving the back tip. Then grind down the top of the blade...you got yourself a homemade "WAVE". Opens as I pull it out of my pocket...slick as a whistle.

And it didn't cost me $2800...which is a retarded price to begin with.

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 04:30:47 AM »

What's wrong with this guy ?? Calling someone a cunt on a forum site ! That's not on , surely. Can all who agree with me please do as I'm doing and inform the moderater.

This type of behaviour is... Well words fail me. If someone has issue to the degree that thing's get nasty I suggest private communication NOT ON A PUBLIC FORUM or better still ' If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all '.

People new to martial art's, combat training etc will see that post and may be put off.
That would be a great shame..

Webby.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »

Bryan-that is just plain ignorant of you to print something like that-ignorant ognorant ignorant-
As for the $2800 dollar knife shown-that is also a ignorant piece of metal.
I really think the post was actually a joke-right?
Hope so.
As for a good knife-I went to a sporting goods  store and with my birthday gift from my son baught a Buck folder for $45.00-it opens with one hand  and is very sharp
Snap out of it son - lifes to short.
WW

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »

You didn't title the post "artistic tac folder" it was "scary tac folder".

I thought the price tag alone made it worthy of the "scary" title! ::)

As far as Bryan's name calling goes...it is getting rather old. Kentbob and JimH are the usual victims of Bryan's written wrath and deal with it accordingly, but it really reflects a significant lack of professionalism and maturity when someone is attacked everytime they disagree with your particular point of view.

We're pretty good about policing ourselves on this forum (the last time a moderator had to step in, someone went "bye-bye"). So, what do you say Bryan? How about let's just agree that enough is enough, and (at least attempt) to discuss things without resorting to all the infantile name-calling.

Easy-peasy.

"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »

To be fair, on occasion I have gone out of the way to bait Bryan...maybe once or twice.

My griptilian has a stud instead of a hole there for opening. 

Something else I like about it is that it doesn't catch attention, partially because of the size and also because of the color.  It looks non-threatening.  I mean, it's bright purple for crying out loud!  It's just large enough to be used as a palm stick when closed. 

I have even pulled it out at the college, in the middle of a crowded cafeteria, to open a package,  without any hubbub.  Can't say that about many knives.

My only complaint is that the color occasionally doesn't go very well with whatever kilt I happen to be wearing...but that is the price we pay as superheroes.

Kent

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »

Baited or not...there's no reason in your post to be called a cunt. Can't see where you insulted him first.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »

Hey Dawg- is that Easy Peasy there is fungus amongist ? cool   WW

Bryan

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »

Price? Its the same old story. People will spend loads of cash at walmart hoarding up junk then balk at paying 500 bucks for a good knife. The knife linked to is on the extreme of what the average collector will pay for blade art but far from the extreme of what is out there if you have thousands to spend. There are knifes with diamonds, rubies, other gemstones, and plenty gold flash too. That kind of thing can jump up to 10,000 easy.

The thing about the Scary Tac is the quality of the steel in the blade and the tolerance of the fittings, the overall craftsmanship. The reason its was called Scary is the skulls forged into the Damascus bolsters. While the knife is presented as "Bling" it is one hundred percent functional and you could use it as hard if not harder than any blade out there in its size and measurements.

One of the things that is way off in the tactical and training community is the general education of blade function and blade quality. Certainly you can stab a guy to death with a cheap Chinese knife but often the blade is brittle hard and can break much easier than one believes. Where guys would not dream of taking a unfired gun into a fight they carry untested blades, that is blades that have never been stress tested, blades of unknown manufacture process.

Spyderco is maybe the best of the inexpensive knives out there. I carried one for years back in the nineties to cut rope with in an emergency. Chris Reeve makes the best production knives in the market.  http://www.chrisreeve.com/

For less than five hundred bucks this is the best deal out there. Its a Cris Reeve and Wilson collaboration.  http://shopwilsoncombat.com/StarTac-Titanium-Framelock-Wilson-Tactical-_-Chris-Reeve-Knives/productinfo/WTK-STARTAC/

Webby, long history and low tolerance for Kent, disregard the banter.

Kieth, Mai Care,

Whitewolf, I'm a little surprised you are so cheap when it comes to tools but its no shock. Certainly you don't need bling for a knife to be great but having a cheap knife has disadvantages compared to one that has been well designed and produced. Its the extra steps you don't know about in blades like the Chris Reeve produced knives that make the difference. Its just like guns, cheap guns will often fire as designed/presented but sometimes they don't. Most people I know avoid cheap guns and prefer some of the better known manufacturers and models. Then there are the guys who spare no expense in seeking out the best available tools for the job.

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »

WW,

"Easy-Peasy" is the phrase Sam, in the series "Burn Notice" (USA Network), uses everytime they talk about pulling off some impossible job. I can't help it; I love that show!

I thought it was an appropriate end for my post, considering the subject matter.

I think Sam would be pleased. 8)

"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »

First- Dawg-OK -easy pease  ;D
Second-Bryan-Buck knifes are very good quality- it has a non slippery grip-    I use it to cut rope-open boxes-
and if ever needed Ill use it without any worry to cut a wrist-or fight off the hoards of enemy that come into my zone of influence-oh- i forgot- the knife opens easily and quickly with one hand-
I went to the Army PX last month and priced a few folders- some were 3-400 dollars- and guess what the soldiers who were buying them probably never had a knife class on how to use one.
Thats my story and i am sticking to it- :-X WW

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

Kieth, Mai Care,

I guess I'm not intelligent enough to know what that means. And you spelled my name wrong...again.

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »

Easy Peasy ! Lemon Squeezy ! It was an advert for lemon scented washing up liquid in the 70's. In the UK. It sort of stuck. 

Best knife I ever bought was a Cold Steel Super Edge. I think I paid about 20.00 for it. I used it every day while I worked at a recycling plant. Brilliant knife. In the cold and wet with me wearing gloves it was easy to draw and use. Cutting though an abs wheel guard on a box truck, in a snow storm. The plastic was bent and rubbing the tyre. It was going to pop and I didn't fancy a blow out in a storm. Super Edge to the rescue..It took about ten seconds to cut a huge chunk away. It lives in my B.O.B these day's.

Webby.. 

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »

Oh i thought that i would add this-if i am not wrong a vast majority of stabbings are done with a kitchen type knife you buy in the local hardware store---it is not so much the cost its the man who uses it----again thats my story and i am sticking to it-WW

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »

The cheap Benchmade Ascent I bought 10 years ago is still going strong despite years of abuse as a test engineer. It does the job without a name that can get you in trouble in court.
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »

I love Sam Axe's alter ego Chuck Findlay!
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »

The most I have spent on a folder is around $180.00 CDN for an Emerson CQ7, a rather expensive addition to my sock drawer as I don't like to carry it.  I do like the Cold Steel Land Sea rescue knife that I picked up for $40.00 on close out.  A better "name" if I end up in court than Close Quarter combat. Solid, sharp and easy to open one handed.
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »

Agree about the knifes ' name '. Death dealer, combat, mil-spec war are some of the advertising hype names given to an otherwise standard fixed blade or folder.

If I was in court I think a yellow handle or ' rescue ' would seem more jury friendly.

If I buy a folder it's going to be used at work and live at work ( in a locker or draw )
I don't use a blade with any length at all outside of the kitchen.

The knife carrying kid's in my area use a kitchen knife wrapped in paper held in place with an elastic band. If it's a planned stabbing they wrap a plastic bag or T-shirt around it before stabbing the person in the back.

Nasty, but now so common it's ceased to be news..

Webby..   

Download